GMU 19

R

Rem308

Anyone hunt GMU 19 North boundary of RMP during early season,archery or muzzleloader? Interested in hunting pressure and elk numbers.

Lots of tags issued could be argued that more tags are issued than there are elk . Lots of pressure but there are some real big elk . An eployee at Sportsman Warehouse in Loveland took a toad two years ago right on the park boundry boundry got it done had to wait for hikrs and pic nicers clear out the bull was headed back into the park when he took him with a muzzle loader.
Rifle seasons they usually have moved down to private or at least get there by mid week of first rifle.

Oh and dont get caught crossing the park boundry with a weapon ouch. They patrol it very heavily . If you shoot an elk and it crosses into the park you must contact a ranger right away .

Got a friend who has taken some dandies up there by Commanche Peak (350 class bulls)--i'll try to get some pics for you all. It truly is pocket hunting and you have to find the pockets. Once you do, there are some monsters--Larimer county being one of the top 5 in all of Colorado for PY and Booner bulls.

Exspect lots and lots of company in that unit, there are good animals in there few and far between with probably 10 times the numbers of hunters as elk. Lots of nature walkers/hikers and greenys.

I hunted in GMU 18 a few years ago and we did real good ,see that there is always leftover muzzy tags for cows for 19,but looks like it might be to tough of a hunt for me.

350's on Comanche? wow. I've spent alot of time up there and have never seen anything near that size...

Yeah must agree there are some STUDS! up there. We hunted it in 2006 but had to pull out early because of an early snow storm. With some homework and legwork, a guy could get a good one. I would hunt it early during bow/muzzleloader maybe 1st rifle.

I am looking at a muzzleloader cow for that area,there hasbeen leftover cow tags there for the last couple of years.

The area was never a fantastic area and the last 8 or 10 years it seems to be a little worse maybe ? The area is real spotty, pockets of elk and good places to hunt. One year you can swear youve found the secret sweet spot full of elk and the next year you wont see one there. I have alot of experience in 19 and can honestly say that Ive only seen 2 350 type bulls and thats 2 more than most folks in that area. I have not hunted Commanche Peak, I hunt different areas and where I hunt there isnt that much pressure other than on the roads. Im looking at different areas to hunt archery myself just because it is a tough archery hunt like the success rates will show you.

While I don't discount the possiblity of seeing a 350" bull there, I would more realistically expect the top-end bull to be around 320". Seeing a bull like that there is one thing, but killing him and packing him out is another. Without horses, be ready for a difficult pack out and if you are up near the tops you'd be hard pressed to get a bull out before he spoils. The area holds enough elk to make it interesting to hunt, though you will have company, especially during the opener of the archery hunt as well as the muzzleloader hunt. If you desire first rifle then hope for no snow, because if there is much measureable snow as there often is at that time, you could have a very cold and lonely hunt above timberline. Increase the odds in your favor by hunting persistently at low-key times during the early seasons. The area in question is more than a 4 mile hike by trail any way you slice it with over 2500 ft of elevation gain. You might run into a nice bull, you might not. What was said above is true, there are pockets of elk that you can get into consistently. At times, especially in the summer, elk can be like bugs on a bumper. Don't expect this during the season. The big herds will typically either head back into the park or down into the timber once the pressure starts. It's a neat but humbling sight to witness. Be sure you have a good, updated map of the area, as I have found significantly different boundaries on different maps.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom