GMU 43 Elk info?

chsnelk03

Looking for any elk info in this unit. Need a backup if we don't draw. Any help is appreciaed!

V/R,

Roger Burton, MSgt
200th REDHORSE, Det 1
Ohio ANG

What season are you inquiring about, bow, gun? Where are you planning on entering the unit? I usually hunt the bow season but my information may not fit for gun season.

Sorry, should have said archery season. We will be out there 29 Aug - 14 Sept. Haven't done alot of research on the unit yet, just hoping to find a starting point.

Roger Burton, MSgt
200th REDHORSE, Det 1
Ohio ANG

Roger, In case you haven't used the CDOW site, this is a fantastic tool! Here is the link:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/GMUnitMaps.htm

You can get a ton of information from Google Earth also. Do you have any experience hunting elk? The more information you provide, the more we can help out. Naturally, no one wants to give out the location of their honey holes but most will be very helpful in getting you started.

This is a designated "wilderness" unit, which in Colorado means foot traffic or horses only. Are you planning on packing deep into the wilderness or hunt the fringes? Guided or DIY?

My brothers and I are doing a DIY archery hunt. If we draw, we will be hiking about six miles into the Flat Tpos wilderness. If we don't draw, we will be tayloring the same type of plan in unit 43. This will be our fourth elk hunt, we have hunted unit 15 once and 33 twice. We are not afraid to work or hunt hard. I chose 43 as a backup due to some info from a fellow MM'er. I have just now started looking at maps and trying to formulate a plan. I was just looking to get a starting point from anyone with recent hunt experience in 43. I am in no way requesting anyones HH! I wouldn't give up my WT HH in Ohio either! I am deploying to Afghanistan next year and won't be able to hunt, so I'm trying to up my odds this year as much as possible! I'm 0 fer 3 so far, but have loved and learned every trip!

Thanks guy's,

V/R,

Roger

Roger Burton, MSgt
200th REDHORSE, Det 1
Ohio ANG

I have hunted this unit 3 years in a row now and am heading out again this Sept. I can't give you much information on the interior of the unit, we do most of our hunting within 2-4 miles of the roads. We usually get into elk but have not connected as of yet. Google Earth seems to benefit us more than any other scouting tool. This unit is extremely steep! Good luck on your hunt.

Has anyone seen many bears in the highcountry of 43 in Sept? 2 years ago I hunted just above snowmass village with no luck.

Ya i have had friends take bears the last two years in unit 43. One being in the early season and the other this past season in the third season.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom