GMU 5A

47thstar

Greetings. I drew an elk tag for unit 5a, mature bull. I have only passed through the area but never hunted there. Just wondering if anyone here has had experience hunting that unit. Thanks.

Allmost all private you should get on the phone and talk to land owners. I have never hunted it but have tried to draw a Deer tag in 5B for years.... have gave up on that also... GL
Jack

My hunting buddy knows a land owner up there and he's trying to work that angle. Hopefully it pans out. I bow hunted for elk in 5b 10 to 12 years ago but never was able to get a shot off. Thanks for the response.
Robert

I grew up hunting 5A and the land owner route will not take you far. The public land is checkerboarded through out the unit and it comes down to whether the neighboring ranches are pushing the elk into public land or not. This makes hunting difficult. If I remember correctly, 5A is a unit that you cannot gain access to private land if you have a public land tag. You may want to look into that some more.

>Thanks for the advice!

Yeah look into the maps some and I can too so that I can give you a general area of where to focus your efforts. What time of year is your hunt?

Obsession is correct.
You cannot hunt private with a public tag. Or vice/versa.
Also there is now a locked gate north of Ojito where the road crosses the
Jicarilla. There is quite a bit of BLM that you cannot get to anymore.
There will be law enforcement in the area.
Citations are issued every year for trespassing.
Good luck
Foghorn

Yes law enforcement does setup in that area. About 10 years ago I actually got pulled over by a Jicarilla police. In front of me they had just pulled over someone else for drinking and driving on Jicarilla land. The gate at Ojito was recently closed so the BLM land north of there is not accessible I think. That is actually bs if you ask me because the Jicarilla should not be able to cut off access to public land like that.

To the best of my knowledge, the only accessible BLM in 5A is (or was) around 2500 acres in/around Billy Rice Canyon. Most of that won't have any elk on it. The rest of it takes about an hour to hunt.

I would double check with G&F ,but I believe you can hunt on private land with a draw tag. But,you need written authorazation on you to do so....and the right unit tag of course.
I should have asked the warden yesterday when I thought of it.

>Obsession is correct.
>You cannot hunt private with a
>public tag. Or vice/versa.
>Also there is now a locked
>gate north of Ojito where
>the road crosses the
>Jicarilla. There is quite a bit
>of BLM that you cannot
>get to anymore.
>There will be law enforcement in
>the area.
>Citations are issued every year for
>trespassing.
>Good luck
>Foghorn
I could be wrong,but I think you can hunt private with a written authorazation of landowner to hunt said private in unit with a draw tag,must be same unit/tag tho.
I did it on a ranch as drop camp in Pecos area,had the whole ranch to myself and surrounding public lands to hunt.
Can't hunt with RO LO tag off the ranch or on public lands ....now tying to get a map or list of which ranches are in E-plus UW is next to impossible to see for some reason.
Those ranches in UW LO program should be accessable to the public to hunt too,but I have yet to see it happen here in NM. ...and most places put up extra no hunting signs during season and lock gates that are in program and get away with it.
Personally I'm in RO E-plus progrem and think all LO tags should be RO.

Any ranch that has UW LO tags you can hunt without writen premision !... they will tell you NO and post it up but you can.
When they go UW it opens up there land to public hunters.
Jack

Obsession
I was referring to the gate. I know nothing of your interactions with LEO.

Hank4elk, cosmic cowboy.
Gmu 5a is a ranch only unit. See page 64 of the hunting rules& info book.
Regards
Foghorn

>Obsession
>I was referring to the gate.
>I know nothing of your
>interactions with LEO.
>
>Hank4elk, cosmic cowboy.
>Gmu 5a is a ranch only
>unit. See page 64 of
>the hunting rules& info book.
>
>Regards
>Foghorn

I am not real familiar any more with 5b,hunted it for deer on a draw tag many yrs ago.
I am familiar with the E-plusLO sysytem,RO and UW.
I was referring to OP's ? about drawing a elk tag and all.
If he drew a 5a MB tag he should be able to hunt any public he has ACCESS too,plus any private he can obtain written permission to hunt also. Some folks say OK,some say no ,and some charge trespass fee of some sort.

>Obsession
>I was referring to the gate.
>I know nothing of your
>interactions with LEO.
>
>Hank4elk, cosmic cowboy.
>Gmu 5a is a ranch only
>unit. See page 64 of
>the hunting rules& info book.
>
>Regards
>Foghorn

So this is the tag I drew:

"Unit 5A ? Freeman Lee Davis Memorial Unit (Public-land Only)"
"5A...Oct.31-Nov.4...Elk-1-114...S...10...MB"

I don't believe this is a RO Tag. The way I understand the RO vs. UW is just the designation of the authorizations of the landowner only in regards to Private-land licences.

Am I wrong in thinking that the tag restricts me to public land only? Can I still hunt a private ranch even if I have written permission from and landowner?

>>Obsession
>>I was referring to the gate.
>>I know nothing of your
>>interactions with LEO.
>>
>>Hank4elk, cosmic cowboy.
>>Gmu 5a is a ranch only
>>unit. See page 64 of
>>the hunting rules& info book.
>>
>>Regards
>>Foghorn
>
>So this is the tag I
>drew:
>
>"Unit 5A ? Freeman Lee Davis
>Memorial Unit (Public-land Only)"
>"5A...Oct.31-Nov.4...Elk-1-114...S...10...MB"
>
>I don't believe this is a
>RO Tag. The way I
>understand the RO vs. UW
>is just the designation of
>the authorizations of the landowner
>only in regards to Private-land
>licences.
>
>Am I wrong in thinking that
>the tag restricts me to
>public land only? Can I
>still hunt a private ranch
>even if I have written
>permission from and landowner?
YES. If you have written permission, on your person, you CAN hunt the private land of said landowner with the PUBLIC LAND TAG.
Never heard of Freeman Lee Davis memorial unit,just 5a. I hunted near Lindrith on both BLM and a ranch,in unit 5a.With draw tag.

Better yet call NMG&F and ask them about your tag,hunting access,and use of private lands with draw tags.

I don't understand how you guys think it's ok to hunt private? It says right at the top of the proclamation for unit 5a that it is for public land only. Private land access with a public land tag is not an option in this unit.

I did read page 64 and was a bit confused about it. That's why I was asking about it. Just trying to get a little clarity, that's all. Thanks for all the responses.

Sorry if I confused things. Like I said,have not kept up with what goes on in 5a. I never bother with it or that area now.

It has always been one of the worst places to be when there is any precipitation in NM. Elephant snot is the term locals use.....I did a bunch of property checks in there a few years back,nasty. Only time I've ever put chains on in NM.

47thStar
I didn't mean to come off as an azz.
First. Congrats on drawing a tag.
Your tag allows you to hunt on public land only!
GMU 5a has different rules and regs than the majority of the state.
It is a RO unit. There are a couple of others.
Landowners here do NOT have the option of unit wide anymore.
Game & Fish tried unit wide here back in the 80's.
What a fiasco it was. It is now just a circus!
Most of the public here is fragmented or checker boarded.
Access is not marked. Landowners lock gates at times.
The Warden gets put on speed dial during the hunts.
I would get your hunting bud and come up this summer to learn property boundaries. The landowner he knows should be able to show you around some.
Good luck
Foghorn

Thanks for the info and advice. I now know I have to do little bit more planning and research. We are going up there in a month or so to visit the landowner my buddy knows so I'm sure he'll square us away on everything. Thanks again, everyone!

LAST EDITED ON May-06-15 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-06-15 AT 08:09?PM (MST)

I bought one of those unit-wide landowner permits back in 1990. The LO's lease included the previously mentioned BLM in Billy Rice Canyon (west of Lindrith). I hunted it for a day (maybe a morning), then de-camped to the NF.

The landowners have always been extremely wary in that area, even before the Davis incident. I think I was stopped twice that morning by locals who demanded to know what the hell I was up to.

Back then it was just one Unit 5. If you drew the unit (for elk; deer was still OTC), you could hunt anywhere you wanted, including the BLM in what is now 5A. I suspect that (plus the rampant poaching) was the source of a lot of the problems.

>LAST EDITED ON May-06-15
>AT 08:44?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON May-06-15
>AT 08:09?PM (MST)

>
>I bought one of those unit-wide
>landowner permits back in 1990.
> The LO's lease included
>the previously mentioned BLM in
>Billy Rice Canyon (west of
>Lindrith). I hunted it
>for a day (maybe a
>morning), then de-camped to the
>NF.
>
>The landowners have always been extremely
>wary in that area, even
>before the Davis incident.
>I think I was stopped
>twice that morning by locals
>who demanded to know what
>the hell I was up
>to.
>
>Back then it was just one
>Unit 5. If you
>drew the unit (for elk;
>deer was still OTC), you
>could hunt anywhere you wanted,
>including the BLM in what
>is now 5A. I
>suspect that (plus the rampant
>poaching) was the source of
>a lot of the problems.
>
Yeah it got too weird,my buddies dad moved.
Said too much BS going on,that was in late 80's,early 90's.
Used to hold big bucks.But then,most places in NM did

public land only if you drew, i believe that page 64 refers to private land only RO tags can ask other RO ranches for permission to hunt on others ranch. Kind of vague best to contact game and fish to verify.

The Freeman Davis story...Here's an excerpt from the Rio Grand Sun, June 26, 2008 (or October 22, 2009, or April 29, 2015...I can't tell exactly which)
--------------------------------------------------------
[...]
Another protest that leaves Lindrith residents scratching their heads is the concern that drilling wells will harm deer and elk hunting. In the 1930s, deer were rare in Lindrith and there were no elk.

?I didn't see a deer until I was seven years old,? Welch said.

Beginning in the 1960s, however, Rio Arriba and the Lindrith area in particular became known as a prime spot for trophy mule deer. Elk, which had been exterminated from New Mexico, were reintroduced and they began to breed.

In the beginning, deer licenses were unlimited and unrestricted. During hunting season, hundreds of hunters would pour into the Lindrith area. They cruised up and down the dirt roads, and locals suspected that some were illegally spotlighting deer, according to SUN reports. Fences were cut and private-property boundaries often violated.

?You could post your land and they'd just drive down and cut your fence,? Nelson said. ?Hunting season was a nightmare.?

The tense situation came to a head on November 7, 1990, when Lindrith rancher Freeman Davis confronted a vehicle with two hunters he suspected of spotlighting, past SUN reports state. A shot was fired and Davis was killed. He left behind a wife and three young children.

The man accused of shooting Davis, Edwin Arrieta, was convicted of voluntary manslaughter and sentenced to eight years in prison, SUN reports state.

The incident galvanized the citizens of Lindrith, who demanded a solution. The state Game and Fish Department closed the area to hunting for a year to hammer out new regulations. The Lindrith area, which is primarily private land, was separated from Big Game Unit 5 and renamed Unit 5A ? the Freeman Davis Memorial Unit ? and the number of public licenses for deer and elk were limited.

In 2008, there were just 30 public deer-hunting licenses issued for Unit 5A, along with 220 private-land-only licenses.

The new regulations have allowed Lindrith residents and the Department to control the numbers of hunters coming into the area...
-------------------------------------------------------------
This is Google's cache of http://www.riograndesun.com/articles/2015/04/25/our_communities/doc4adf455cc39c8757735467.txt. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Apr 29, 2015 15:20:03 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more

Don't take this the wrong way because all elk hunts are fun. The residents in that unit shoot the ##### out of everything year round.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom