GMU 66 Deer Questions

Togwotee

Long Time Member
I'm looking hard at unit 66 deer hunting next year. I have the points to draw 3rd season and maybe 4th. I'm kind of looking for general information to build on since I've never been in the area.

Would 4th season be enough better than 3rd to wait for? you're giving up a lot of days in the season and you need more points.

Is access a problem to public land where the bucks would be at this time?

Can an experienced hunter expect to find good bucks without a giude or someone who knows the area? or has access to where you need to be? I'd rather DIY but I don't want to blow it I'll never have this many points again.

We need to see what this winter brings, but assuming it's not too brutal have the deer recovered well enough to have an older age class or should a guy wait ? I can do that.

Should I be looking somewhere else?

Lots of questions , but any advice would be appreciated.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I don't have a clue about unit 66 but I do know season structures and animal behaviors during the seasons. I would say 3rd would be my preference as the 4 extra days in 3rd season out weigh the later dates of 4th season. Talking only a few days which just don't seem to outway the additional hunting days offered in 3rd.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I've been thinking of cashing in my deer points as well. Unit 66 has been recommended quite a few times too. I think I would do 3rd season as it gives you a bit more time to hunt. With that said if I knew the unit real well 4th season would not be out of the picture but I don't.

It looks like some real nice bucks were taken this year, add a year to them and there should be some slammers next year. depending on the winter of course.

What I'm not sure of is how many, or how big the area is. I think there's something like 50 3rd season tags, if the big bucks are few and the country they're in isn't that big that's a lot of hunters. thats my main concern.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Remember elk season will be going on, too. It's limited quota now but there will still be a lot more than 50 hunters around. But it is pretty big country.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-15 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]I'm at 8 so I guess point creeps got me!
Nr here thanks

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom