Goat Hunt Gone!

1BigDeer

Three weeks before my son & I are to fly out for our goat hunt, the $h!t hit the fan at work and now we are a man short which has effectively cancelled our hunt. I am SO disappointed and it has really changed plans for my friend who also drew the same tag as me. You know you wait your whole life for to draw one of these premium tags, plan and get everything ready and then in a day it is all swept away! Sorry to be ranting here, but I'm sure some of you have been in the same boat. Maybe I'll draw the tag one day again. Good luck on your hunts, and remember to appreciate your time in the field.

That really sucks. Hopefully you can work something out and still go.

"You only live once,but if you work it right, once is enough" -Joe E. Lewis

Let's here some more details. Where are you from and where are you going goat hunting.

If you drew in one of the western states there are people on this forum or other forums that could help you. It seems to me that in 3 weeks it is to early to hunt mountain goats. The hair will be very short and that is have the trophy. Lets here some details and maybe help could be found.

>Let's here some more details. Where
>are you from and where
>are you going goat hunting.
>
>
>If you drew in one of
>the western states there are
>people on this forum or
>other forums that could help
>you. It seems to me
>that in 3 weeks it
>is to early to hunt
>mountain goats. The hair will
>be very short and that
>is have the trophy. Lets
>here some details and maybe
>help could be found.

antelope maybe.....

Gotta be "speed" goats...

Sorry to hear your woes man... keep your head up...

E

It was a mtn goat hunt in Kodiak, Alaska. The season opens Aug 20th and for lots of reasons (too many for here) we were going in on the opener. Also because of many reasons it will impossible or next to impossible to accomplish it later. I'm still holding out in the hope that something may happen that will allow me to hunt if only for a couple of days, but seriously doubt it. My plan was that if I was able to kill a big billy I would be looking for a nice winter cape to put a mount together.

Just to rub salt into the wound my new Rifles Inc. custom 300 RUM showed up today! Oh well, after 16 years of applying, I drew my first choice spring brown bear tag, so I do have something to look forward to, but I REALLY was psyched to go after the goats. Thanks for all your comments!

My recomendation is to QUIT your job! there are plenty of them around but there are only so many goat hunts you can ever get a chance at.
You only live once, ENJOY it! Go Hunting!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

This story just got way worse.....I thought you were eating a fricken prairie goat tag......yep, quit and reapply when you get done....sounds like replacements are hard to come by anyway.

JB

yep, quit
>and reapply when you get
>done....sounds like replacements are hard
>to come by anyway.
>
>JB

I agree !!

I have quit two jobs that interfeared with my hunting ,If I had made plans in advance and got approved time off,I would go any way.If the job is there when I got back O.K. ,if not ,there always another one.

Quit your job and don't even bother asking your wife before you do it. Who wears the pants?! HaHa! You gotto go hunting man!!

Steve

1bigdeer what is your job? just curious and your answer might open the quit or not quit flood gates. good luck

I'm retired (enlisted) military working as a Gov't contractor in a very small and specialized work sector. I guess I don't NEED my job, but I do want it as it will pave the way for my hunting adventures into my twilight years. If I quit this job I doubt I would ever get hired in my field again and on top of that the company I work for has all the locations in the west which is where I want to live and work. My company is great to work for and I hope I can work for them for another 17 - 20 years so as you can see there really is no option for me to quit. If there is any way I can get to the hunt area for even a few days I will try it, as long as I have someone to go with. I admire everyone who has the balls to quit their job for their passion, but I'm afraid I cannot!

1Big....

I feel for you and admire your principles. I'm fifty years old and have made alot of bad calls in my life. Two things I did along the line of your situation are:

1. In my early twenties a girlfriend asked me what was more important, her or my hunting.....I haven't spoken to her since.

2. After getting out of college, I was working for a firm which I very much liked along with the owners. One day I was told that not to expect to get two weeks off in the fall & go hunting because that was when the owners took their time off. One year later, I was working for another firm.

I've NEVER regretted those decisions!

You could honor your work ethic/responsibility and buy (or have the employer buy) a Governers tag next year.

Good luck,

nocal

Rem308 already said what i would do because his story is mine as well, word for word. That's scary!

In addition; Nobody, short of God himself and we'd have to toss it around some, is gonna cancel my long waited, well deserved, dream Alaska Hunting trip like you are allowing yours to be canceled. Nobody, No Way, No How, Not Now, Not Ever!!!

That's me. I do admire your dedication though. Hope it works out for you!!

Joey

I never saw a tomb stone that read " I WISH I HAD SPENT MORE TIME AT WORK " Everyone has to make their own choices in live though.

MAN UP GO HUNTING! You Only Live Once.Your Job Will Be There When You Get Back.Gord RAM4G

I would look into the employment rules of your company and the federal labor laws, I know that where I work the hand book says that all vacation will be approved if 30 days written notice is given and they cant fire or repremand you for it, any vacation time with out 30 days notice will be reviewed by the supervisor and his decision is final. good luck, remember they make the rules its our job to figure out how to bend them, wish you luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom