Goat hunt in 58

Servehim

Very Active Member
Looking at drawing a 58 antelope this year as I live in NM ( long drive) and my passion is deer/elk. Will use the time and effort to scout unit 30 for elk and 101 for deer , not that the antelope will be a sidebar but trying to make the most of a 2 week trip . Any wisdom on my chances at a good goat in 58?

Your biggest hurdle for a good goat in 58 would be drawing the tag. Time and patience would be next on the list.

That's for sure, as if the OP doesn't have max 9PPs, he won't even be in the running for the handful of tags issued for 58 and that may even apply in the higher priced Special Draw!

At max pts (9) guys. Hunters Trailhead showed it to be 100% for 8 last year, so it looks like I should be able to draw. Struck out in Utah so trying to get at least two quality hunts this year, I drew a lesser unit (21a) in Nm to chase elk in Sept. . Spent some time last summer up in Wyo checking out elk unit 31 but didn't have time to check area east of there. I noticed on HT that tag numbers have dropped significantly in unit 58 for goat. Usually that's not I good sign. Any wisdom would be great

LAST EDITED ON May-21-15 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]>At max pts (9) guys. Hunters
>Trailhead showed it to be
>100% for 8 last year,
>so it looks like I
>should be able to draw.
>Struck out in Utah so
>trying to get at least
>two quality hunts this year,
>I drew a lesser unit
>(21a) in Nm to chase
>elk in Sept. . Spent
>some time last summer up
>in Wyo checking out elk
>unit 31 but didn't have
>time to check area east
>of there. I noticed on
>HT that tag numbers have
>dropped significantly in unit 58
>for goat. Usually that's not
>I good sign. Any wisdom
>would be great

The total tag number to be issued for unit 58 for 2015 is 30, just as it was in 2014, so the NR allocation of tags should stay the same as last year. If the stats stay the same as far as applicants that apply with max PPs, you have an excellent chance at getting it. If more with max PPs apply than last year, then obviously your odds go down. Good luck on getting your tag!

Thx Topgun, I was going to focus on north end of 58 so I'm closer to scout unit 30 for elk. Any words of wisdom on wether that would be wise?

Hunters trailhead showed 5 NR tags in 2012 and 2013 and dropping to 3 NR in 2014. So if 2015 is the same its 3 again, just saw that drop in tags in 2014. I love HT but have discovered a couple questionable numbers. Overall very low number of tags for such a large unit. Is it worth burning Max point guys?

LAST EDITED ON May-21-15 AT 09:29PM (MST)[p]>Hunters trailhead showed 5 NR tags
>in 2012 and 2013 and
>dropping to 3 NR in
>2014. So if 2015
>is the same its 3
>again, just saw that drop
>in tags in 2014.
>I love HT but have
>discovered a couple questionable numbers.
>Overall very low number of
>tags for such a large
>unit. Is it worth burning
>Max point guys?

That matches the stats on the G&F website for those years, so it should be 3 in that draw again this year. There were 4 tags in 2011 and 7 in 2010 before things started dropping. Personally I wouldn't build up more than 3 or 4 PPs for antelope because I think there are plenty of units to kill a good buck in without any more than that if you have the time to hunt and do your homework. I know nothing about unit 58, so I can't answer your question for that unit, but if I had that many PPs built up I'd probably put in for unit 114, hunt it hard and long and I'd bet I could take a buck over 80" there.

Thx Topgun, will check that unit out a bit.. Leaving in a couple hrs to scout in the Gila. Lucky Me. Appreciate the help. If anyone has some guidance in unit 58 for a goat I'd owe ya.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom