gobblers done gobbling?

scopenstalk

I have the late turkey hunt in Utah that starts May 4th. I have been out scouting and seen turkeys but they aren't gobbling hardly at all. This is my first time hunting turkeys so i don't know a ton about it. Are they done gobbling for the season or will it pick up again maybe? Any info would help.

Well as of last friday they were still going strong, i called mine in with no problem had him going crazy the whole way in.

Just Living The Dream

I have been out 6 times in the last week and a half and I have seen that the turkeys where I'm hunting are not gobbling to much. They have stopped I think they have been hunted to hard and the shut right down....

Rest assured, the turkeys are not through gobbling for the year. There are many variables to why turkeys will and will not gobble throughout the spring - weather, availability of hens, hunting pressure (i.e. educated toms), and timing of the turkey rut, for lack of a better word, all factor in. The main reason why toms gobble in the spring is to attract hens. Many times toms will not gobble or may only give passive gobbles if they have the hens close by. Simply put, that is why the toms gobble a lot in the early in the spring - to attract the hens that are still in their winter groups. However, as the spring progresses and the dominant birds have the hens close and start breeding, they may shut down for a while. This will not stop the jakes and subordinate toms from gobbling though because they have had little to no action and are looking for love. Later in the spring, once the hens have been bred and are sitting on their clutches, the turkey rut can get fired up again and the dominant birds will gain gobble a lot trying to locate hens that may have been missed or do not have a nest. I have heard turkeys gobbling their heads off well into June. So, my advice would be to simply get out and if needs be cover some country to find birds that are receptive to calling and work them because they are there.

Ditto the above. Toms have not stopped gobbling. Just hang in there and hunt hard.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Well I have been out scouting just before the hunt and now have hunted two days of the central mountains turkey hunt here in Utah that started May 4th and i have not heard one gobble. I have hiked over 8 miles of terrain in two different locations and i haven't even heard a gobble since last Thursday..... anyone else having any luck?

They'll gobble all the way thru our season, like its been said, just different reasons why they shut down, if your not finding birds by aimless wondering, utilize your truck or atv and get out right at dark, and a hour or so before sunup and try gettin em to shock gobble off the roost. just call from any ridges down into valleys. Not with a turkey call, try a owl hoot, crow call or screaming peacock. Hope this helps you

as of last week yeah i saw them but i suppose they could have moved out. Im going to try a new area tomorrow so hopefully i will have some luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom