Gohunt or huntin fools for draws?

pacer1975

What do you prefer for western draw help? Gohunt or huntinfools? I love onyx for maps. I know huntinfools hunt sale lottery are a joke. A buddy won back to back hunts, way overpriced and they sucked. Gohunt screwed up on 22' stats in 1 state. Hope they come thru this week. Thoughts?

OnX gives you free access to huntin fool maps. Can’t stand the guys that run it but it’s a decent help if you wanna reference something quickly in the magazine. Their podcast makes me wanna blow my brains out. If you’re looking to spend money on a membership with decent knowledgeable service go with Epic.

Draw odds are not easy math formulas.
I agree with that, and using either of Gohunt or Huntin Fool, you shouldn't just blindly follow what they show. For me, Gohunt is just part of the research. There is a lot more that goes into actually deciding what/where to apply. But why should I go research every little detail about draw odds when there is a tool that gives me a good indication of the odds? I can then focus my research on some of the other items that I want to have in a hunt.

Yes it is you divide the number of tags vs the number of applicants and move the decimal over 2 places and that's your percentage
The pushback you'll get is that complex draw systems like AZ can't be viewed simply by applicants/permits. You have two choices that really matter for each application, and there are three draw cycles that look at applications differently.

But in general, you can determine which draws are "harder" or "easier" by simply looking at first choice applicants vs total permits.

OnX gives you free access to huntin fool maps. Can’t stand the guys that run it but it’s a decent help if you wanna reference something quickly in the magazine. Their podcast makes me wanna blow my brains out. If you’re looking to spend money on a membership with decent knowledgeable service go with Epic.
I do agree while not having an huntin fool
Membership I have listened to their podcast and at times I feel like my knowledge is greater than some of the individuals that works there.

What do you prefer for western draw help? Gohunt or huntinfools? I love onyx for maps. I know huntinfools hunt sale lottery are a joke. A buddy won back to back hunts, way overpriced and they sucked. Gohunt screwed up on 22' stats in 1 state. Hope they come thru this week. Thoughts?
So much of their advice is a crock of BS . You must use your own judgment as best possible !
It’s not easy !!! Trust no one 100 %. They are in it for themselves most often .
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado

No I hope they’re ignorant enough to think that draw odds = dividing the number of tags by applicants and moving the decimal over. Those are the kinda people who feed the game and fish budget without being in the way of me drawing a tag.
Yea that's exactly how you figure out the percentage. Ignorant is being dumb enough to pay someone to figure it out for you and think they aren't protecting their own favorite areas to hunt on those platforms.

The pushback you'll get is that complex draw systems like AZ can't be viewed simply by applicants/permits. You have two choices that really matter for each application, and there are three draw cycles that look at applications differently.

But in general, you can determine which draws are "harder" or "easier" by simply looking at first choice applicants vs total permits.
There really isn’t any draw system for NR that can be viewed that simply. Even NM you have to understand which ones will have available tags and why. That’s why I love guys like bookhead cuz they aren’t in line to even get tags most of the time when they put in.

I use goHUNT and think that the cost is worth the value between there maps (which I admit needs some work, but is included in the membership), their store and the insider articles. It keeps me updated on what’s going on and once in a blue moon I see where they may slip up on a detail
Or have a typo but I assume
That happens no
Matter where or what you decide to use. A lot of people don’t know this but you can call in and ask for advice and what not but they are typically going to give you the advice that you could get right off of the information they provide to there members. I have been a goHUNT member since the start nearly and enjoy it.

There really isn’t any draw system for NR that can be viewed that simply. Even NM you have to understand which ones will have available tags and why. That’s why I love guys like bookhead cuz they aren’t in line to even get tags most of the time when they put in.
Yea there are several systems you can view the applicants vs tags also any info these sites like hunting fool and gohunt have is all public info that they have obtained. Go put your head back in the sand

Yea that's exactly how you figure out the percentage. Ignorant is being dumb enough to pay someone to figure it out for you and think they aren't protecting their own favorite areas to hunt on those platforms.
Please name one situation in any state for NR applicants where the odds of drawing a tag are total tags divided by applicants.

Yea there are several systems you can view the applicants vs tags also any info these sites like hunting fool and gohunt have is all public info that they have obtained. Go put your head back in the sand
Yes you are correct. The info is out there publicly but it takes a significant amount of compiling for it to be useful. My time is valuable enough where I am much much better off spending $100 a year on a subscription to have that data then compiling it myself. I’m guessing by my interactions with you thus far your time probably isn’t overly valuable so you might be money ahead to spend a few dozen hours of your time with it and save yourself the $100.

Yes you are correct. The info is out there publicly but it takes a significant amount of compiling for it to be useful. My time is valuable enough where I am much much better off spending $100 a year on a subscription to have that data then compiling it myself. I’m guessing by my interactions with you thus far your time probably isn’t overly valuable so you might be money ahead to spend a few dozen hours of your time with it and save yourself the $100.
A few dozen hrs ? I know where I want to hunt in the states I apply that's all I need to know

Ya gotta love this thread.

Of course it's true that in every state the odds for NRs, as a whole, to draw a permit equals applicants/permits.

It's also true that in no state is an individual's odds equal to that number- due to the complexities of the draw, BP, PP, multiple choices, etc etc.

It's a silly argument.

Ya gotta love this thread.

Of course it's true that in every state the odds for NRs, as a whole, to draw a permit equals applicants/permits.

It's also true that in no state is an individual's odds equal to that number- due to the complexities of the draw, BP, PP, multiple choices, etc etc.

It's a silly argument.
Obviously I was talking about random odds and tags/applicants as a whole. Needed points to draw is even easier to see

I think every state is pretty reasonable to figure out. But they are all different when doing it.

In AZ, unless you have enough BP to get one in the first "max" round (which I NEVER have had), you have to look at the second round results, go down the list to your number of BPs for that unit, and look at the number of permits allotted by both first and second choice vs those with that many BPs who applied. Or by lower choices for crappy units. Oh- and that only works if there are sufficient permits to provide a good sample. Otherwise, you have to do a sum-multiple of all applicants and their BP over the number of permits left. A little work there. So it isn't massively complex, but you need to understand the system. If you are working 5 states, I suppose it could be a bit of homework to figure each one out.

Nobody says it's hard. Just not as simple as dividing two numbers except for pure random draws, of which most are not.

Last edited:
Every state has a different point draw. All involves complicated math formulas. My wife is a retired director of defense Boeing engineer. I am an econ. Major. We know math. So, I have max pts. For a ca. Desert sheep tag. 5 pp tags round, 2 random tag round. Do the math odds of drawing on that? Or, I have 14 mulie pts. I can draw the 2 best hunts in the state, 190 bow bucks. I want my odds of drawing. Figure that out. So gohunt@$100/year is a math steal besides all the unit info. My sushi bill is $100/2x/week. You can't do that draw odds math if My aerospace wife can't.

Every state has a different point draw. All involves complicated math formulas. My wife is a retired director of defense Boeing engineer. I am an econ. Major. We know math. So, I have max pts. For a ca. Desert sheep tag. 5 pp tags round, 2 random tag round. Do the math odds of drawing on that? Or, I have 14 mulie pts. I can draw the 2 best hunts in the state, 190 bow bucks. I want my odds of drawing. Figure that out. So gohunt@$100/year is a math steal besides all the unit info. My sushi bill is $100/2x/week. You can't do that draw odds math if My aerospace wife can't.
So will go hunt give you better odds for your sheep tag? Nope your odds are what they are. And what 2 deer units I bet I can figure it out pretty quick if you tell me the amount of points you have

Good luck figuring your "odds" in NM. Here's a hint: you can't.

Good luck figuring your "odds" in NM. Here's a hint: you can't.
What do you mean you can't one look at the NM website shows the quota for every area the percentage of those tags distributed to nr and residents and the number of applicants

So will go hunt give you better odds for your sheep tag? Nope your odds are what they are. And what 2 deer units I bet I can figure it out pretty quick if you tell me the amount of points you have
Based on how many pp tags alloted for max pt guys, yes, I put in for the toughest, 14k foot hunt. I have 14 deer pts. So a26, or a9. But I still want to see my odds. Elk? 15 pts. Killed my tule bull 16 years ago.

What do you mean you can't one look at the NM website shows the quota for every area the percentage of those tags distributed to nr and residents and the number of applicants
I don't play nm. Only 7% go to nr. I would buy a landowner tag and Have multiple bulls and lopes entered in the book.

Based on how many pp tags alloted for max pt guys, yes, I put in for the toughest, 14k foot hunt. I have 14 deer pts. So a26, or a9. But I still want to see my odds. Elk? 15 pts. Killed my tule bull 16 years ago.
What state for the deer?

Ca.

IMG_20230306_215024.jpg

IMG_20230315_123638.jpg

IMG_20230306_215004.jpg

NM has 3 choices. So you would have to figure out how many draw on what choice and then are removed from the draw and actually weren’t in against you for their second or third. Or just third if they drew second. You can’t compute even NM draw odds and they are by far the simplest. Also there’s an outfitter draw and depending on the amount of tags often times there’s only one in that and not in the non guided draw. There are literally tens of thousands of guys putting in apps for tags in states across the west every year with ZERO chance of drawing them. Happens in WY all the time, even in AZ. The desert sheep tag I drew last year had 90 some NR putting in for it that had zero chance of drawing it.

NM has 3 choices. So you would have to figure out how many draw on what choice and then are removed from the draw and actually weren’t in against you for their second or third. Or just third if they drew second. You can’t compute even NM draw odds and they are by far the simplest. Also there’s an outfitter draw and depending on the amount of tags often times there’s only one in that and not in the non guided draw. There are literally tens of thousands of guys putting in apps for tags in states across the west every year with ZERO chance of drawing them. Happens in WY all the time, even in AZ. The desert sheep tag I drew last year had 90 some NR putting in for it that had zero chance of drawing it.
It's literally all on the NM website took me 15 seconds to find it

I know that. But msx sheep? 14 tule pts. 9 lope pts. ???? Who knows. I am bow only so I play the odds.just get me a tag so I can hunt.
I get that.. the only point I'm making is its not impossible to figure this stuff out on your own it's easier to pay somone sure but not hard to figure out

You're right. It's merely the percentage or allocation of how many permits went to what choice depending on how any one application fell after the random shuffle of all applications for the previous year.

You cannot predict any outcome with how it's done. You cannot use a Monte Carlo method the way GoHunt and others do since the apps are shuffled only once and the distribution of choices changes every year.

All you can do is look at historical after-draw data to see if a particular hunt code trends to have a higher amount of tags given on what choice based on how many choose a hunt code as a choice.

In the past I've concerned myself with the fine points and subtle details of draw odds. But with the passage of time, I've learned to keep things simpler. Now I'm only interested in "rough order of magnitude" probabilities to draw, and will shape my strategy that way. You've simply gotta be a gambler....apply for what you most badly want, and then let fate take over.

In the past I've concerned myself with the fine points and subtle details of draw odds. But with the passage of time, I've learned to keep things simpler. Now I'm only interested in "rough order of magnitude" probabilities to draw, and will shape my strategy that way. You've simply gotta be a gambler....apply for what you most badly want, and then let fate take over.
Exactly, a guy can over analyze and over analyze. Some of my best tags were drawn with the least % chances, but was the tag & season I wanted the most. Has worked out for me multiple times-lots of luck involved too. I’ve been fortunate in the draws.

I hear ya but also would say that putting the 1 or 3 most talked about hunts for your choices can leave a lot of people without tags. My brother puts down the top things recommended by Huntin fool for every state every year. He’s drawn 1-2 good tags in 20+ years of applying that he didn’t earn through preference points. I try to really analyze the numbers and put choices that are exceptional yet more realistic. Might seem that a 1:200 and a 1:800 odds sheep tag are both snow balls chances in hell, and that’s probably true, but fact of the matter is you can draw that 1:200 tag or others like it 4 times for every 1;800 tag. Will you? Prob not. I’ve drawn atleast 12-15 tags that were 1:50 odds or more, but if there’s a tag that is 1:1000 and one that’s 1:100 my brother is probably putting the former and I’m putting the latter. Both are gonna be incredible hunts, but a lot of times people will just see the one is harder to draw so they assume it’s better and then more people see that so they assume same and it likely is barely if any better then the next tier down. I use epic and online research to verify things as well as get ideas. I realize what you are saying is over the years you’ve grown bored with that and I may as well, but I do feel there’s some value in crunching numbers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom