Gold Mountain Elk

rugarm77

I went up with the family for a hike today up to Ruth Lake. Then we drove around a bit. I was wondering how the Elk numbers are around Gold Mountain and Christmas Meadows? I am not very familiar with the area but the country is beautiful..

I think it's actually called Gold Hill on the maps. If you work between Bourbon Lakes to the south and Peak 10720 (east shoulder of Moffet Peak) to the west of there you can occationally run into some decent bulls.

Christmas Meadows side has some elk, but I've never been able to spot them in all the pines over there. There's just no place to glass what-so-ever. If you go around the north slope road toward Elizibeth Mtn. you can find elk all along in there from the Wy boarder up to 10k.

As usual, the elk are where you find them and they travel dozens and dozens of miles up there when bumped around right near the opener.

Cheers,
Pete

Hunted there last year combo hunt. We seen quite a few bucks no big ones. Most of the deer and elk taken were on private north of Bear River Service. 5 bulls one heard. A couple big bucks taken I mean big bucks taken at the head of canyon above Whinty Res. Seen one bull killed by a first time hunter north of Christmas Meadows on top the ridge. I seen the bull in back of a truck. Went to check it out. The kid I think 16 yr old hiked to the top of the ridge north of Christmas Medow opening day heard the bull bugling went to investigate. Killed it at 15 yards. While he was sitting there wondering what to do next. He was by himself and no one to help him well a big 4x4 buck ran up with in 20 yards and stopped and just stood there looking at him. He had combo tag but didn't dare shoot it because he didn't know what to do with the bull. He ended up getting uncle to come up to help him from SLC took them 2 days to get it out. Some big bucks at the head of the Weber River in the steep stuff.
Rutnbuck

Me and my family have been hunting the Gold Hill/Whitney Res. area since the 80's. We have killed a few raghorns, but have never killed a big bull. I think the bucks and bulls get slaughtered migrating across the CWMUs on their late Oct. and Nov. hunts. Weber-Florence Creek alone has 72 buck and 54 bull elk tags. I realize that is a huge ranch, but that is a ton of tags. The elk move around a lot during the hunt. A few years ago on the archery hunt we had 2 chances at raghorns the 1st day of our hunt, and then hunted 4 more days without seeing an elk. It is a tough hunt.

>I went up with the family
>for a hike today up
>to Ruth Lake. Then we
>drove around a bit. I
>was wondering how the Elk
>numbers are around Gold Mountain
>and Christmas Meadows? I am
>not very familiar with the
>area but the country is
>beautiful..

the gold hill/ whitney area is overhunted and overgrazed.i use to hunt it years ago. before the dwr decided that the elk do not have enough winter ground and trimmed the elk population down drasticly.it gets hit real hard for recreational use during the summer. and there is to much private property surronding it for the elk to hold up at.i have had alot more success down the road and across the street.you are right though it is some good looking country but the elk are very few and far between

Thanks for the replies. I went up for 6 days and ended up doing alot of hiking and fishing. LOL Now it's time for the Wasatch..

>Thanks for the replies. I went
>up for 6 days and
>ended up doing alot of
>hiking and fishing. LOL Now
>it's time for the Wasatch..
>
i take it that hunting did not go well.good luck on the wasatch let me know if you see any big bulls lol

>>Thanks for the replies. I went
>>up for 6 days and
>>ended up doing alot of
>>hiking and fishing. LOL Now
>>it's time for the Wasatch..
>>
>i take it that hunting did
>not go well.good luck on
>the wasatch let me know
>if you see any big
>bulls lol

10-4 will do heading up this weekend. On the flip side my 11 year old son had a blast catching fish so it was a success.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom