Good boots for hiking / stalking

rookieray

I just returned a pair of Meindl Ibex boots because they leaked the first time I really put them to the test. I loved the boot and felt they were well made and durable just were not waterproof.
So anyways I now have 200.00 to spend on another pair of boots. I have been looking on Cabelas website and reading all the reviews. I have heard good things about the Meindl Perfekt boots and the reviews are really good except that they squeak really bad, which isnt good for archery hunting. So before I make a purchase I thought I would ask you guys. I like to backpack archery hunt. Do you guys have any suggestions for a boot thats good for hiking many miles with camp on your back and also quiet when stalking?

It's very hard to do both well. I've been looking for years for the same. I have lousy ankles and like a supportive boot, especially when carrying a load. For backpacking I don't think you can have both support and quiet soles. I wear the Meindl/Cabelas Denali (which I love) and take my shoes off for the stalk.

PS I had the Perfekt's before the Denalis and they were far from perfect. I had two pairs and both squeeked so bad that stalking game on a quad would have been quieter.

I bought some Lowa Kodis from REI last year, they are very lightweight, have never leaked and have a pretty flexible sole which helps to keep quiet during stalks.

Wolverine Antelopes work pretty well. There not super heavy soled though for hiking with a heavy pack for days on end. But I've used them on 2 and 3 day bivies and to haul meat and they did the job. Great for stalking too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at all three boots and right now am leaning toward the meindls, of course I have to get the wife to approve the extra 50.00 they cost above my budeget, better buy some flowers.

It seems like I own a pair of every major boot manufacturer looking for a perfect boot. Believe it or not, I found a really comfortable Gortex uninsulated hiking boot with a soft sole that still adds good ankle support. It's the New Balance 1200GT.

Look at Campmor and see if they still have them on sale and go try some on. They might work for you as well.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom