good hand calls for yotes

H

hatch000

I can't afford a foxpro and really want to try coyote hunting.
What are a some good name brand hand calls I could buy that work well?

How much practice is needed with a hand call to get the yotes in?

I'm wanting to try this soon.

There are a large variety of hand calls out there. You will have to decide if you want a closed reed call or an open reed call. I prefer open reed calls. It gives you the opportunity to make several different sounds with one call. Closed reed calls can freeze up and gum up with spit. Then you will have to replace the reed. Closed reed calls are a little easier to use. It's really just a personal preference. Hopefully this helps you out.

Garrett Carr
www.atfirstlightguides.com

There are tons of good hand calls out there. Whatever you settle on, practice all you can and experiment. I have 3 Primos open-reed calls, 3 Circe closed reed calls, a Primos crow call that I use to create extra realism sometimes, and I just picked up 2 more calls from Mossback Game Calls. Get a hand operated squeaker. Last weekend, we had a coyote hang up at around 350 yards. My partner hit the Mossback squeaker twice with a 15mph wind quartering toward us. Long story short, we ended up with a coyote at 46 steps about 3 seconds later. Also, pattern your shotgun if you use one. My 46 yard shot produced 2 hits and a coyote that was finished off with a rifle at 350 yards. Also, practice your mouth barks to stop a coyote for an easy shot. Just pick a call, grab your gun, and get out there and start enjoying an exciting, challenging, frustrating, rewarding, all around good time.

Check out Carver Custom Calls. They are super sexy and sound amazing. Kerry makes some great calls and is great to deal with.
As the dogs start pairing up, coyote vocalizations will be good calls to use. Get a good howler and practice. Get online and listen to as many coyote sounds as you can. I always practice while driving or at the house. Like what's been said before, closed reeds are good calls but will freeze up quick in cold weather.
Good luck, don't get too discouraged. Its a tough time of the year to start calling.

Traditional >>>------->

They all will work but it comes to personal preference I myself have alot of faith in the Sceery open reed and the Johnny Stewart open reed. You can do it all. Yip bark howl rabbit distress bird distress etc... Practice and focusing on your setup to get a good shot I think are more important.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom