Good place to shed hunt in Utah?

S

snik

I've always been interested in Shed hunting, but i've never known of a good place to go. Anyone know of any good places in central utah or anywhere in utah?

Ha ha! I think this makes an even 100 requests for help getting into shed hunting this year. The only thing missing from the norm is that he didn't say "I don't want anybody's honey holes but..." Snik, you're probably not going to get much help here, shed hunting is becoming more saturated with new people trying to get into it while at the same time there are less and less animals. The experienced shed hunters are keeping all information close to the vest at this point. Your best bet is to start like everybody else starts, walking your tail off trying to find a shed or two and then slowly over the next 10 years you'll start to figure out what shed hunting is all about.

Or... you could just quit while you're ahead spend that same amount of time golfing, fishing or take up badminton or something... Heck you could greet people at Walmart part time and probably make like $5000 or so in that same 10yr period!

Seriously, if you are planning to shed hunt in Utah or most any other state you might as well go out in the hills and search for sasquatch because the end result will be pretty much the same...

Good luck,

NvrEnuf

I know where to look for Sasquatch!
7467barker_and_2010_horn_254.jpg
5624barker_and_2010_horn_257.jpg
The great state of Jefferson!!

Are ok with a high fence shed hunt? Actually it would be more of a canned hunt. I can set you up pretty well. For a modest fee I can put you on some sheds. If you want to keep them however...We'll have to negotiate pricing after you choose the ones you want to keep. I also have a shed dog to help with those hard to match-up sets. The additional cost for Psycho Chester THE Horn Hound is negotiable...as he tends to eat more than he brings back to me. Bring cash, lots of cash. Let me know if you are interested. If that option doesn't seem to be your cup o'tines...I suggest you start looking on the ground. That's typically where I find them. Good luck. May the bone be with you.

Haha Sneak! You could also put out some seed sheds (all that old chalk we find) and guide people on shed hunts for a modest fee. It's a win-win, newbies get sheds, you get rid of chalk and make some money and you can determine where they think the honey holes are. :)

ill give you some tips. 1. go where the deer/elk are right now until amay for elk. 2. go wherer there are deer right now. 3. go where the deer/elk live when they shed. 4. the deer/elk drop their sheds where they live when they are shedding. 5. there is no secret, just hike and hike and hike and hope to get lucky, or sit and watch and watch and glass and glass. some people have a knack for it some dont. like everyone else that started shed hunting its all trial and error, more times then not you will go home empty handed. no one will help you with spots to go because they have done the above things ( hike, glass, come home empty handed) they wont give you freebies find them on your own.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-13 AT 02:52AM (MST)[p]Haha gotta love these posts. Get away from Utah and head to Yellowstone it's loaded with sheds. May as well ask if you can sleep with my old lady touchy subject among shed hunters I wish I knew all the answers to shed hunting but that's half the fun trying to anticipate what's over the next ridge good luck and happy hunting.

Start by looking in the flower beds around your neighborhood. Deer and elk will shed in flower beds quite often, you may also find the occasional moose antler. Make sure you bring good optics because it is sometimes difficult to pick out sheds amongst the rose bushes. I also reccomend wearing running shoes because people sometimes get mad and claim you are stealing their antlers. Do not try to reason with them, just run because we all know that no one would leave a perfectly good shed antler laying in their yard to rot in the sun. Happy Hunting, and good luck.
Jake

Snik,These guys all go to the same places. the dude who said in town was not far off just look in your local foot hills. you might find smaller and less bone but if you look hard you should find bone. These guys all run, run, run. I find bone every year not far from boot prints. and we all find white bone they missed the year before, so take your time, enjoy the hike, go where these guys dont and enjoy the solitude. dont worry about the masses, just get out keep your eyes open and keep you rig on the road and burn up some boot leather. Also if you dont find bone enjoy what ya do find, fresh air, sights of wildlife, ect. and dude you can always pick up some beer cans. For some reason guys that call them selfs sportsmen and outdoor enthusiast's sure seem to leave a lot of beer cans in the feild. Whats up with that?

Ebay has a few. You can be in the worst shape and still hunt for those, never miss dinner and feel rested at the end of the day. The best part is, usually the ones you find can be delivered right to your door. What are you waiting for? Its only a couple clicks away!!

Snik, you should expect nothing less with the smartass comments you've received so far, with this being your first post. I don't get on here much but I know my first post wasn't asking for help.
Gottoad probably gave you the best advice though. And what is with all the d-bags leaving their beer cans/bottles everywhere. Pick your chit up! The Sheriff doesn't need to count the empties on your floor board to figure out you're hammered.

Rambo,

Now that was funny!

:)

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Blah blah hoop law I sure that you don't want anyones honey hole... I have a great place for lots, and lots, and lots of fresh bone. I have even been thinking of a plan on how to get all that fresh bone... Ok I will let you in on the secret but promise you won't tell anyone... Ok first off go to Cabbala's or Sportsman's or even a Pawn Shop and you need to buy a hand gun and a few bullets. Then go to a Zion's bank or Wells Fargo and fire off a few shots and tell them you want some cash. Well stick around long enough to get caught and then get your self a public defender or maybe be your own lawyer...
So then here is where your shed hunting will start to get good. There is a massive deer herd that hangs out on prison grounds and you should have 8-10 years of exclusive no competition to some awesome sheds and maybe a gang rape here and there.. So there you have it you will get lots of bone and maybe get boned in return but you will have your own honey hole for the next 8-10 years without competition... Or you could just put on a pair of hiking shoes and start hiking your butt off in the foot hills and mountains across Utah who know you might get lucky and find some shed just like everyone else in the forum... Good luck

>Blah blah hoop law I sure
>that you don't want anyones
>honey hole... I have a
>great place for lots, and
>lots, and lots of fresh
>bone. I have even been
>thinking of a plan on
>how to get all that
>fresh bone... Ok I will
>let you in on the
>secret but promise you won't
>tell anyone... Ok first off
>go to Cabbala's or Sportsman's
>or even a Pawn Shop
>and you need to buy
>a hand gun and a
>few bullets. Then go to
>a Zion's bank or Wells
>Fargo and fire off a
>few shots and tell them
>you want some cash. Well
>stick around long enough to
>get caught and then get
>your self a public defender
>or maybe be your own
>lawyer...
>So then here is where your
>shed hunting will start to
>get good. There is a
>massive deer herd that hangs
>out on prison grounds and
>you should have 8-10 years
>of exclusive no competition to
>some awesome sheds and maybe
>a gang rape here and
>there.. So there you have
>it you will get lots
>of bone and maybe get
>boned in return but you
>will have your own honey
>hole for the next 8-10
>years without competition... Or you
>could just put on a
>pair of hiking shoes and
>start hiking your butt off
>in the foot hills and
>mountains across Utah who know
>you might get lucky and
>find some shed just like
>everyone else in the forum...
>Good luck

Probably the most elaborate way of telling someone to screw off that I've ever seen.

Its lonely at the top.... just the way I like it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom