Google Earth

• Thread starter SonoranOutfittersnet
  • Start date
S

SonoranOutfittersnet

Looking for some help on what web site will let you zoom as to see some of the water holes.

I have downloaded the free google earth, but can't zoom in very close?

thanks
TR

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-10 AT 10:11AM (MST)[p]there is no difference in the sat images between the free and $400 version of Google Earth. I get the clearest images when using ArcGis Explorer.

here are a cpl vids I did that may help:
http://www.vimeo.com/user3024489/videos

here is a direct link to the topo server that is referenced in the Google Earth video. Once at the link location, Click on the "view in" "Google Earth" to download the correct .KMZ file.

http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/NGS_Topo_US_2D/MapServer

OK It's probably ME But why cant I just go to google earth and PAY whatever and zoom ALL the way into my AZ elk unit.

Everything I go to seems to be a scam and never zooms in very far.???

TR

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-10 AT 08:03PM (MST)[p]pay doesn't have anything to do with it.
I have both the free version and the $400 version. There is no difference in the images. None. It's the same satellite image. The pay version lets you import shape files and a few other things.
You can only get so close. Google Earth and Google maps use the same images.
ArcGis Explorer uses different images. No matter who's app you use, you will be able to see cars on the road but you won't see who's driving, not even close. Nor will you see animals, with a few rare exceptions. You might see an ATV but doubtful.
You will have better clarity over some cities, like Portland. You can see the difference in Portland from 10 miles up.
Some areas just have crappy coverage.

I used ArcGis Explorer to find a bunch of tanks in NM. They show up real well. Those tanks showed up in GE also.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-10 AT 08:45PM (MST)[p]Ok thanks

please give me the link again to go direct to the site.

Thanks

Do you live in portland?

I have a house in Kelso, WA and also Gig Harbor

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-10 AT 11:12PM (MST)[p]Bob

Just want to say thanks. I have had time to review your video and links and what alot of help.

thanks
TR

wapiti just wanted to say thanks for the topo google map pretty awesome! thanks a bunch!

you can add a lot more stuff to ArcGis Explorer but the latest version hangs a lot for me. Explorer handles shape files and scanned images of NF maps really well. Google won't import a shape file and you need to "place" the NF map.
Google is faster though.

Wapiti,

This is perhaps the most helpful thread I have ever seen on MM. Seriously, you should be paid for sharing those videos. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to pay you, but you should. :)

Very helpful, I have taken a class in GIS and I can honestly say, you would be a better teacher than the one I had.

Thank you

Well actually, there is a guy who made a training CD and showed how to add GPS, topos, and a whole bunch of stuff to Explorer. He had links to the different web sites and such also. A very nice site to say the least.

My brother is computer illiterate and so I created that ArcGis video to show him and a cpl other friends how to install and add the topos in a step by step fashion. Trying not to delve into the areas where the other guy had gone, since I had purchased one of his CD's.

The other guy got pissed and posted on his site that I "massaged" his data and "while not illegal, negated 3 years of work" so he was no longer selling cd's and was closing the web site.
He conveniently left out the fact that the developers of ArcGis have a 1 hour training video on their site, free of charge. He also didn't mention the only thing in common was the GPS and topo maps.
It's unfortunate, I had no intentions of taking sales away and have at every opportunity, steered people to his web site.

I have another video that goes into detail showing how to add the game dept data, shape files from the FS showing water, trails, land ownership. How to add FS maps for some FS districts. Where to go for the different Game dept info and stuff like that. It's made for the computer challenged also. Shows how to extract the zip files and all that stuff that confuses new people.

I haven't posted it up because I didn't want to step on his toes.

For the ESRI tutorial you can go here:
You will need to create a login to see the ESRI tutorial but it's no big deal.

http://training.esri.com/acb2000/showdetl.cfm?DID=6&Product_ID=961

Wapitibob,

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I tried viewing the file in Google Earth...When I did that it asked me if I wanted to save the file or open file to a destination... I tried both options...I dont know what I'm doing...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

after you click on the link you should see this screen. Tell the app you want to view in "Google Earth" (i circled it for you). then you will get the file save box.
You can open with GE or save the kml file to your PC. I like to save BUT you need to know where it gets saved on your puter if you elect to save it.
For now just "open" with GE.

I'm off to Redding but will be back on tonight if you have problems.

7221.jpg

Thanks Wapitibob... I got it figured out now...I was trying to open the file while google earth was already running..Any way I did like you said and it works now...Now I can toggle back and forth between sat images and the topo maps with out running both Google Earth and my National Geo TOPO programs...VERY COOL ..

THANK YOU VERY MUCH...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

excellent post. thank you!

so long google earth! haha.
importing GPS data over those sweet detailed topo maps is going to be an awesome tool.

thanks again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom