Got Creative with the call and rifle!

jarheadhunter

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-10 AT 09:33AM (MST)[p]Well I have been looking at some post on another forum and the guys on there have been spray painting there rifles. I decided that I would give it a try on the Foxpro first and if it turned out ok move to a rifle.

I started out by cleaning everything with rubbing alcohol to get all grease, oil, dirt etc. off of the call. The call I have is the CS-24 and I have the sage green color. I thought that was a good base color so I didn't spray a base coat on it. I bought the Krylon Fusion camo paint from Wal-mart I think there is 4 different colors. I also picked up some sea sponges used for a faux finish type of thing.

I would take and spray some paint into a paper plate and then dip the sponge into it. I would start with the lightest color and work my way to the darkest. Doing one color at a time I would just randomly dab the sponge all over the call. It's best to only dab two or three times and then get more paint on it becuase if you don't you try and push too hard and end up with a big blotch. I try and keep a lot of paint on the sponge and just lightly dab the paint on.

Once I was done with one color I would go to the next and repeat the steps. I am glad I learned what not to do on the call and not my rifle. I thought the call turned out alright, but I might redo it when I get a chance. Here are some pics of the call. I think the pattern and colors are good for the sage.
7770imag0270.jpg

7550imag0272.jpg

Well next was the rifle and I tell you I took me awhile to get enough cahonas' up to paint my rifle. I decide it wouldn't bother me as much to do my cheap Remington model 710 first. I will be doing my coyote rifle in about a week. I decided to order a digital stencil kit for $10 and do that instead of the sponge. The coyote gun is worth a lot more than the deer rifle.

So I basically did the rifle the same way as the call except a few things. I taped off the bolt and the dial on my scope so I can see what power I have it on. My scope has scope covers from Butler Creek so I just painted right over those. I had to do a basecoat on the rifle as it was grey and black. I took my time and did about 4 coats and made sure to completly cover everything on the gun. Here is a pic before and after the first coat.
7458imag0274.jpg

4881imag0277.jpg

After the base coat I would again start with the lightest color and go darker. Here is after the first color I put on with the sponge.
4193imag0278.jpg

I would let each coat completly dry before the next which was about 20 min. Here is after the second color.
5606imag0280.jpg

Here is after the third.
6616imag0282.jpg

Here is a closer pic.
1644imag0281.jpg

I was glad I did it on this rifle first because the colors are ok, but I am going to look for grey's, light brown's and light greens for the coyote gun. I have ordered some of the Duracoat Matte Clearcoat that I am going to put on them to make it last longer. Most people just used regulas Clear coat spray paint, but I know the Duracoat will make it last a lot longer. The best part is that all together it cost me about $60 to do my call and two rifles and if it ever scratches all I have to do is dab a little more paint on there.

I know that some people think I am crazy for painting my guns, but I am never going to sell them and I think they look pretty good. I will be doing my 870 Shotgun here pretty soon too. I just need to find some different grassy colors to use for the paint. That was the hardest part I think was finding the right colors. Well hope this helps if any of you were thinking about camoing your guns.

jarhead

jarhead....YOU ARE HIRED! Nice work there, I have painted and taped many of my rifles in the past using my Air brush, paint brushes, homemade stencils etc. never used the sponge technique but I like it.. pretty damn artistic you are!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

looks really good. Only thing is The bolt. I think I would have taken it out. did the paint mess up the feeding any?

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I taped over the part of the bolt that goes into the receiver I only painted the handle of the bolt. I would think it didn't affect anything.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-10 AT 11:59AM (MST)[p]Well I got a digital kit from bulldogarms.com for $10 and it worked awsome. I decided that I would repaint my .270 and I think the results are a lot better than the sponge thing. It was a lot more work, but I like it. Here is a couple pics.

5775imag0299.jpg

836imag0300.jpg

>Those look great im highly impressed
>might just have to give
>it a try myself.

Yeah I don't know if I would do it to a real expensive gun, but for a cheaper rifle that gets beat up. I bought the Duracoat matte clear coat and put over the top of it and it seems to be pretty tough. Before I put it on I could scratch the paint off with my finger nail now I can't. So I think all together I am into that about $50 because the DuraCoat was kinda pricy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom