Got One! ( turkey pic )

M

Morty_Pass

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-04 AT 09:45PM (MST)[p]
Well guys my turkey year was a blast. Limited out on 5 big toms. Here is a picture of one. This is a 20 lbs. bird with a 9 4/8ths beard. No spurs what so ever. Kinda made me mad, but i had way to much fun gettin him fired up to have that ruin my day. Turkeys are just too much fun! More pics later of my other birds.. He has one heck of a pretty tailfan. I got it stretched out on a board now, too bad he was missing one feather..

april%204%20turkey%20post2.jpg

april%204%20turkey%20post1.jpg

Turkey Hunting Addict, MP

Ok here is the story..

I set out on a hour drive at 4 a.m. heading to Walker Co. Alabama to hunt a group of birds I have really been keeping my eye on. During deer season the flock was split up males in one group females in the other. There was about a dozen longbeards in one bunch. Every weekend after deer season I made the hour trip to scout the birds out, well they didnt change that much, still roosting in the same areas. At 5:45 am I found myself setting up in an area i seen them the most. The area was a big hardwood forest with spanish moss hanging all over the trees with sypress swamps filling the lower lying areas. When i was setting up I heard a hoot owl scream his head off, so i made sure not to make any noise incase a bird gobbled at the owls call. Sure enough it was like a domino effect all around me. It took about 4 rounds of good gobbling all the way around me to figure out which was the closest bird. I decided to just hold up where i was. Every time i could go to cutt, yelp, purr or cluck this bird would cut me off. He was about 250 yards and closing the distance b/w us really fast. Just when the bird i killed came within 70 yards I had two big toms come from behind me, the only was i knew they were there is when i heard one drum. When i went to look really slow bang! i was busted off they go. Thank god they didnt make a scene leaving! So i cutt one good time on my slate call and sure enough here comes the other tom. Hunt was over at 6:10 am. Now you understand what i was saying about that bird closing the distance quick. He most likely would strut 10 - 15 yards, gobble, and run about 30 more. This is also the first bird I have called across a creek. I always have them hang up on creeks and fence lines. I guess I just got really lucky.

later, MP

MP,
Way to go, dude!! That's a real nice gobbler you bagged!
The season in Alabama starts pretty early, don't it?
I'm still wait'in for the "openner" here in Md.(April 19th).
I can't get over a mature bird, like that, w/o spurs!!!!
Maybe, he was gay :7 ...... Great bird either way, Congrats!!!

My dad got a nice tom in beaver Co. Utah on April 4 04
It had 1 inch spurs, and a 9 1/2 inch beard

I could be totally wrong but with no spurs, is it possible that this bird is a bearded hen? It certainly looks like a gobbler in every respect, except for the absence of spurs.

AlaskaJim, Its rare for a gobbler to have spurs. I talked to a big turkey hunter the other day and he said it was uncommon but he has killed them w/ no spurs before. He has even killed big birds that had a 1 5/8 inch spur on one left and no spur on the other. You would think w/o any spurs a male gobbler would get his butt kicked if he ever had to fight. Its kind of like a buck with no antlers, he couldnt defend himself.

later, MP

Cool, I did not draw my spring tag, but I am hopen' for a fall this year.
Michael

Rick,
Come to Texas if you want to hunt Turkeys. We have Rio Grandes out the Wazoo, and in East Texas we now have hunting for Easterns in about 15-20 counties, thanks to a restocking program by Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. Annual limit is 4 (only 1 Eastern, spring/shotgun only). You can hunt them in the Spring when the Toms act a fool, or in the fall and winter in conjunction with deer archery and rifle seasons (Oct 1st - Jan 4th.) I have only hunted Rios, but have seen some Easterns in the woods in East Texas where I grew up. They are considerably larger.
I can give you more info if you're interested.
[email protected]

SemperFiHunter

we got two turkeys 9incher with spurs an 8incher with spurs one more tag to fill.my daughters is the 8 incher very pretty bird.how do you do the tail feathers. spread them out an put on board is that all? called the one in last nihgt to 15 feet. it is fun for my kids dad also.after he was shot the 2 other toms with him jumped on him when he fluttered around a little. i think they wanted to kick his butt it was fun to watch.saw a bigger tom he wouldn't come to call. we think it is the same tom we saw last year in this spot. he did not come into call then either. this turkey hunting is a blast.good luck.

Congrats on your toms. Took a longbeard on Easter Sunday in the Black Hills...... Merriam. I have taken 2 Merriams with no spurs, not even any bumps, both were longbeards over 20lbs.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom