Gotta love Yellowstone

hossblur

Long Time Member
Today's total. 2 grizzlies, one bluff charge, 5 dudes chitting themselves diving in their cars.

200 bush hippies sitting on 5 wolves. (Told my 11 yr old to ask the one Karen if his wolf tag was good here)

Numerous idiots testing bison "happiness"

And a new greatest ever. 30 cars, dudes with 3ft lenses, road shut down, watching a damn badger. First I've ever seen that

Hey Hossy?

They Pack Lenses Bigger than Our Spotters!

Is It Necessary to See How Close You can get with 200X Lenses?

JUDAS!

Last Time I Was Up there The Orientals Rule!

Just got driving driving hwy 291 through west yellowstone coming back from visiting family in minnesota on thursday and that road was a mess already. Feel bad for the locals not working the tourist trade. Never did make it to the george floyd memorial. Dang it!!!

Yep, we seem to have an even bigger “stupid” epidemic than normal around here. Almost hit one of those fools with the giant lens on Togwotee on my way home from work yesterday when he stepped backwards into traffic without looking. Those clowns will sit and harass the same grizzly from daylight to dark.

Many years ago, I was sitting in my truck in Mammoth and using a window-pod with a 300 mm lens to shoot a herd of elk in the middle of the grassy meadow in front of the hotel. Some gal pulled her SUV up to the curb on the opposite side from where I was. A few minutes later two big bulls got into it and wound up fighting their way right next to her SUV. I'm only guessing here, but it seemed like they slammed into it at least six times on one side, leaving visible dents. Then they moved to the back end and wound up tearing off the spare tire dealie that was mounted to the rear door. She was sitting inside the entire time and too dumb to start the engine and move.

These were the culprits...

elkfight.jpg

Today's total. 2 grizzlies, one bluff charge, 5 dudes chitting themselves diving in their cars.

200 bush hippies sitting on 5 wolves. (Told my 11 yr old to ask the one Karen if his wolf tag was good here)

Numerous idiots testing bison "happiness"

And a new greatest ever. 30 cars, dudes with 3ft lenses, road shut down, watching a damn badger. First I've ever seen that
Love the tag question. Did he do it and if so what was the response?

Back when I was working in the woods I had to drive the highway every day through Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. It was a windy narrow two lane main highway. It was nothing to come around a corner and see a tourist stopped in the middle of the road taking pictures of the trees. Out there in their Bermuda shorts and sandals. Loaded logging trucks couldn't stop fast enough with nowhere else to go. I saw a few really ugly wrecks.

Up by Estes Park someone parked their shiny new car at a trail head. A young bull moose came walking by, saw his refection in the shiny new car and proceeded to spare with it...tore the car up pretty good. There is a video of this somewhere...funny but expensive.
That happened to my buddy up by Logan Brand new truck didn't even have the license plates yet and the bull saw his reflection in the mirror and tore that truck to bits. Raked the side of of the truck tore the mirror off the truck and then charged it several times to make sure it was dead....LOL
The insurance company had him explain it several times to several people as they were laughing at him the whole time..

The insurance company had him explain it several times to several people as they were laughing at him the whole time..
Speakin' of explaining & too dumb to move,... :rolleyes:

I went to an Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA) conference in Rapid City, SD in 1981 and rented a car for the week. The owner of a place nearby called Bear Country USA, a drive thru wildlife park, had attended and invited anyone to visit for free. I had a drink in the bar with him that night.

I had a late afternoon flight on the the day I was leaving, so I decided to drive over & see if there were any photo opportunities.

Each area had fences & cattle guards to separate the various critters into huge pens. One had about six black bears in residence. The dusty dirt road passed right thru the middle of it, and a "security" observer sat up in a tower about 20 feet high. If a visitor stopped in the enclosure, the observer would use a loud speaker system to say, "Please keep moving. Do not stop."

Naturally when I tried to take a photo, I heard the warning. So I made my first pass, stopped at the main headquarters and asked to speak to the owner if he was there. He remembered me from our bar visit. I asked him if there was a way he could contact the observer to tell him to ignore me if I stopped in the bear enclosure. He got on a radio & gave the order. Off I went.

I stopped about halfway thru, rolled down the window, grabbed a camera & waited for something photo worthy. While I was waiting, a pickup with two guys in it, pulled up and stopped about 50 yds. up the road. They jumped out and started tossing all sorts of the edible goodies out of the back of the truck. Every bear in the place headed to the breakfast table.

Soon after, a nice cinnamon-color boar headed my way. But he was walking down the road in front of me, so I couldn't get any pix from the side window. He finally got to my car & walked around to the passenger door, where he proceeded to latch his front claws in the space between the glass & metal. He then put his rear feet up on the lower door panel and started to rock the car. I had the feeling that he had done it before. :rolleyes:

When he had enough of that after about 30 sec., he grabbed the sideview mirror and bent it into a somewhat unusable position with it hanging there by one screw. He then meandered around to my side of the car. I quickly rolled up the window, of course. So he decided to climb up on the hood, while I was trying to switch my camera lens to a wide-angle one. In the meantime, he had torn off the windshirld wiper and was now slobbering on the windshield. I got a couple photos thru the dusty smeared glass before he got bored and decided to go back to the food bonanza with his friends.

Once I was able to stop somewhere safe, I got out an inspected the damage. The top edge of the passenger door was pulled out about an inch from the glass. His rear paw prints were clearly visible in the dust below. I affixed the mirror as best I could with the screw that was left and my small screwdriver from my camera bag. The wiper was back on the ground in the bear impoundment where I left it.

A few hours later, I parked the car in the rental lot, took the shuttle to the terminal and turned in the paper work at the rental counter. I didn't say a word about the bear encounter, and I never heard anything from the rental agency in the ensuing days.

I have a scanned photo of the bear slobering on the windshield somewhere on a computer or online. I just can't recall where that somewhere is right now. :mad:

Last edited:
Speakin' of explaining & too dumb to move,... :rolleyes:

I went to an Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA) conference in Rapid City, SD in 1981 and rented a car for the week. The owner of a place nearby called Bear Country USA, a drive thru wildlife park, had attended and invited anyone to visit for free. I had a drink in the bar with him that night.

I had a late afternoon flight on the the day I was leaving, so I decided to drive over & see if there were any photo opportunities.

Each area had fences & cattle guards to separate the various critters into huge pens. One had about six black bears in residence. The dusty dirt road passed right thru the middle of it, and an "security" observer sat up in a tower about 20 feet high. If a visitor stopped in the enclosure, the observer would use a loud speaker system to say, "Please keep moving. Do not stop."

Naturally when I tried to take a photo, I heard the warning. So I made my first pass, stopped at the main headquarters and asked to speak to the owner if he was there. He remembered me from our bar visit. I asked him if there was a way he could contact the observer to tell him to ignore me if I stopped in the bear enclosure. He got on a radio & gave the order. Off I went.

I stopped about halfway thru, rolled down the window, grabbed a camera & waited for something photo worthy. While I was waiting, a pickup with two guys in it, pulled up and stopped about 50 yds. up the road. They jumped out and started tossing all sorts of the edible goodies out of the back of the truck. Every bear in the place headed to the breakfast table.

Soon after, a nice cinnamon-color boar headed my way. But he was walking down the road in front of me, so I couldn't get any pix from the side window. He finally got to my car & walked around to the passenger door, where he proceeded to latch his front claws in the space between the glass & metal. He then put his rear feet up on the lower door panel and started to rock the car. I had the feeling that he had done it before. :rolleyes:

When he had enough of that after about 30 sec., he grabbed the sideview mirror and bent it into a somewhat unusable position with it hanging there by one screw. He then meandered around to my side of the car. I quickly rolled up the window, of course. So he decided to climb up on the hood, while I was trying to switch my camera lens to a wide-angle one. In the meantime, he had torn off the windshirld wiper and was now slobbering on the windshield. I got a couple photos thru the dusty smeared glass before he got bored and decided to go back to the food bonanza with his friends.

Once I was able to stop somewhere safe, I got out an inspected the damage. The top edge of the passenger door was pulled out about an inch from the glass. His rear paw prints were clearly visible in the dust below. I affixed the mirror as best I could with the screw that was left and my small screwdriver from my camera bag. The wiper was back on the ground in the bear impoundment where I left it.

A few hours later, I parked the car in the rental lot, took the shuttle to the terminal and turned in the paper work at the rental counter. I didn't say a word about the bear encounter, and I never heard anything from the rental agency in the ensuing days.

I have a scanned photo of the bear slobering on the windshield somewhere on a computer or online. I just can't recall where that somewhere is right now. :mad:
I'm thinking the guy in the guard tower got the best photos.... :ROFLMAO:

This was the bear we watched charging idiots.

Apparently he kept it up all day.

Lots of idiots, so not suprising

This was the bear we watched charging idiots.

Apparently he kept it up all day.

Lots of idiots, so not suprising

We love our grizzly bears.

Hahahaha! You gotta be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom