GPS recommendation

ForkWest

Very Active Member
Never bought or had a need for a GPS until now. I'll be hunting tight to state lines and private this year. Not looking for a top end unit. Color screens and big $$$ don't ring my bell, just something that will keep my out of trouble. I've heard something about state specific cards too? What ya'll using and what do you recommend?

I use the Garmin Rino, but only because the group that I hunt with all have them... But, I will tell you that the huntinggpsmaps will help a TON... They saved us a bunch of trouble in Colorado last year. And it has been interesting to check out the Utah Map. There is a lot more public in the area that I hunt than what I thought...

CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

I use a Garmin Rino and like it. You don't need to spend a lot of money to get a color screen unit anymore. With the state specific cards from huntinggpsmaps.com I would highly suggest using a color screen. It is much easier to see boundaries in color than it is to see different shades of grey.

Check out Cabelas site, they have the Garmin Oregon 450 on sale for $199. Good unit for the price. Touch screen, expandable memory, and in color. The 3 things that I think are a must on any gps unit with today's technology.

For an additional $30, you can get the Garmin Oregon 450t for $229. These come preloaded with topographic maps, otherwise it's the same unit.

You can't go wrong with a Garmin Rino. It is my second favorite hunting item.

Advice from a Grizzly: Live Large. Take
what is yours. Scratch what itches.

Rhino is good if others in your circle have the same, otherwise the 62 for push button or Oregon 450 touch screen. Get the d/l version, install to basecamp then export to an 8 gig micro sd card for your gps. You'll be all set.

I just went through a ton of research on GPS units. I then ordered the Oregon 650 and the Montana 600t Camo from Cabela's to see which one I'd like more.

I use the GPS a lot for various things and once I got them in hand it was a super easy decision to go with the Montana 600t. The screen on it is much bigger than the Oregon. Combine with the Hunting GPS chip the larger touch screen on the Montana 600t is awesome! I also have a RAM mount and a cradle on my quad that I use to navigate the maze of dirt roads. It's worked perfect for that too.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garm...rmin+montana&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I have an Oregon 450T and once I got it figured out I love that thing. You should look at a Garmin etrax 30 you can put a map/landowner card in them . The etrax 30 is about what you're asking for.

FYI, the newer Oregon units, I think it's the 650, is a totally different beast than the older 450 models.

Once again I did not choose the Oregon model because the screen was so tiny. Perfect for backpacking, but hunting out of a car/camp each day I opted for the larger Montana and have no regrets.

If you want one that just flat out works without all the added whistles and bells that accepts SD cards and has a colored screen, go with the Garmin Etrex 20.

It only cost about $160 and has everything you said you want that doesn't break the bank.

I also have the etrex 20 -- it's nice. It uses SD cards, hooks up to the computer, and is small with good battery life. Price is good too. I had mine out last week antelope hunting and it was awesome to see the private land boundaries and topo relief as well as my waypoints and maps.

WYmoose

I found out the hard way that Delorme maps DO NOT show private in-holdings on National Forest or National Grasslands. A couple calls to Delorme met with little to no concern. Also found out Delorme will not allow HuntMaps chips to be licensed for thier units. So I now have a Oregon 450T with a HuntMaps chip and will not buy any more Delorme products. My old PN40 is only used on my boat for trolling tracks and as a back-up.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-13 AT 02:17PM (MST)[p]I went thru the same with my Magellan,and just got the 450T and huntinggpsmaps sd&micro card for here in NM, 24,000scale Great screen and detail. Seeing private/public boundaries is a must in NM.
I still haven't figured it all out yet,but can see the ranches and public lands boundaries,for sure.

Awesome! Thanks for the link.

And thank you all for the info. I've got the 450T coming in the mail!

Next up is figuring out BaseCamp. I'm reading that there is some pretty cool things that can be done between BaseCamp and your GPS. Any expericene out there with BaseCamp and what and be loaded on the GPS and what cant?

Get the Garmin Oregon 650. I have 2 Garmins and found the Oregon fantastic. I have the Wyoming chip that shows PP and Public land boundaries along with the owners names.

it is so easy to use.

The files torowy pointed out are what I have been using. I did get some "Hunting GPS Maps" cards that I'm going to test out this fall as well.

WYmoose

I have the 60CSX my dad has the Rhino. I prefer the 60CSX for a couple of reasons. the screen is bigger and the buttons are single function so its very easy to use.. When I got it they were fairly new but now they should be pretty cheap and with the huntinggpsmaps card its an amazing tool.

Started to post the same question. Now I'm replying so I can mark it!

Good info, especially about the faults of Delorme. I was leaning towards the Magellan, but may change my mind.

Joe, for what it's worth, I ended up with the Garmin Oregon and the south rockies huntinggpsmaps chip. GPS $149, chip $99. Little more than I wanted to spend, but setup was completey seamless, all of about 10 seconds to pop the chip in and I was hunting. Ease of use and no learning curve certainly has value. I'm happy and would recommend it.

Thanks FW! I've got a bunch of Cabelas Bucks burning a hole in my pocket!

My current GPS is a 15+ year old Lorance so I'm guessing the technology is quite a bit better these days!!

Really looking forward to the GPS chips for my western hunts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom