GPS Suggestions

NMike

Guys,
I've been using a GPS app on my iPhone for several years now and have always struggled with lack of signal causing the app to not work well. I am considering buying a GPS unit to replace the app. I haven't used a GPS much in the past and would like some suggestions on which ones have the best features. Are there any that use satellite imagery? A few friends say theirs will depict public and private land and can even provide the landowners name. Any help is greatly appreciated. What can a guy expect to pay for a decent unit?

Thanks

Heard guys tell of an app that doesn't require a signal to work. Above my paygrade. I've got a simple etrex that I love but I'm gonna take the plunge into a chipped gps this summer after usein a friends on a hunt last fall. Somebody'll be along with the app shortly I'm sure.

I have a Garmin Oregon 550T and it rarely comes out of my backpack. I use my phone 99% of the time using Trimble gps hunt app. I believe it is $10. I can download the whole area topo and satelite maps to my memory card for the area that I'm going to hunt. No phone signal needed since the maps are stored on my phone memory and gps works without network signal.
I have a 13,000ma/hr battery that i carry that i can charge my phone up with about 4 times. I have a galaxy S4 phone that allows gps to work on airplane mode so my phone isn't searching for phone signal or wifi all the time draining my battery. I can go about a week with this setup and will also carry a solar panel that i can charge up with too.

I use the Hunting Gps maps with my Rhino. It's www.huntingGPSmaps.com it show public and private ground with the land owners name.Is this what your looking for ? I know the Rhino radios have a little smaller screen then the bigger just gps units. But it works well for me.

Take a look at the Garmin etrex 20.....moderate price, user friendly, you can purchase topo and arieal down load to gps and computer....transfer data back and forth between gps and computer....I dont think it has landowner or private property info.....

>Take a look at the Garmin
>etrex 20.....moderate price, user friendly,
>you can purchase topo and
>arieal down load to gps
>and computer....transfer data back and
>forth between gps and computer....I
>dont think it has landowner
>or private property info.....

Great little unit that more than most need and it takes the chips mentioned above. Amazon.com has them right now for $170 and free shipping.

I really like my Rhino. The radio and tracking aspects more than make up for the smaller screen. I also use the hunting map chip for the state or 3 state type.

While the rhino seems expensive realize that the it is also a radio, and locating device for other hunters. Prior to having my rhino my wife would always get lost and I would spend and hour trying to find her. Now I tell her to go sit in a meadow and if she decides to move or has to follow a blood trail I can got to her last known location and then ping her.

I have used the Gaia GPS app on my iphone for some time now and find it to do everything that I need and more. It can track and mark waypoints and navigate just like any GPS plus the screen is bigger. You can download your tracks also just like other GPS units. I have been a long time proponent of Garmin GPSs but this app is pretty sweet. You can pre download maps of all types and scales and then you do not need to have a cell signal to use the app in those downloaded areas. I guess you could use it but you just would not have maps to plot on top of. I just put my phone in airplane mode to save power. I also have a goal zero charger I take on extended trips in the back country to be able to recharge my phone (and other devices) when needed. I think the phone battery in airplane mode is lasting longer than my GPS units.

>I have used the Gaia GPS
>app on my iphone for
>some time now and find
>it to do everything that
>I need and more.

I want to second this recommendation. Not all map apps are created equal and Gaia definitely stands out. I use it for all my hiking and its really easy to use and I've never failed to get a GPS signal. Its also one of the few apps I know of that lets you export to the standard tracks format. Before you abandon your phone, I would give Gaia a try because it just might fit your need.

So will the apps on your phones update your location without cell signal? I've been using the Trimble app and it sometimes won't update my location properly though it does track my trip pretty effectively. When my signal is weak it won't find me.

Yes, these apps should update your location without cell service if you have the maps downloaded. If you don't have the maps downloaded it doesn't have anything to show your location. On your trek its recording the coordinates and will show them to you when the phone has access to maps again.

The newer phones, I-phone 4, Samsung S3 and newer all have independent satellite GPS units in them, same technology as the Garmins. Some of the older phones did use cell towers to find location.

( I-phone 3 and Samsung S2 might have the new technology.)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom