Grass fed or Grain fed?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
One of our local markets carries local grass fed beef. It's pretty expensive but in a moment of weakness I gave it a try and really liked it. I'm talking rib-eye steak. I've eaten it 3 times now and I like the flavor better than grain fed beef. The fat is more yellow and not as much fat, but you can't beat the flavor. The meat is more red color than grain fed, I think?

Just wondering what other people think.

Guess it'd Depend on what kinda Grass the Beef was Fattened up with?

You Sure They Ain't Chewing on Eel-Grass?:D

The Last Beef We had with Yellow Fat wasn't all that Impressive but Probably Better for You Health Wise!

I think grass versus grain is a matter of taste. Having been in the meat and food business my entire life I have sold both. The ribeye is the best cut off of the beef and grass fed would be pretty good. I prefer cattle that have been finished on grain for what I like because they have fat warbling in the meat that gives it flavor and makes it tender. I've been bringing USDA Prime ribeyes home and they've been as good as I've had.

Another thought here eelgrass. What breed is the local grass fed VS the grain feed

If it's from Stemple Creek Ranch, it's awesome. I had to say that, their friends of mine.
Other than that, I prefer grain finished over grass fed. larrbo said it well.

hwy

Grain but grass fed burger is amazing. Back in May my uncle and a bunch of us slaughtered two steers. I don’t mind the grass fed steaks I like mule deer better though.

I love that fat on my steak but I it seems hard to find that certain taste , maybe there not grain feeding

Why? "He ain't nothin' but a hound dog......"
He would be my vote for all time greatest Mm poster....just wondering. If you skipped some time here, you are hesitant to ask what happened to them. PM me if the topic is toxic.....

He would be my vote for all time greatest Mm poster....just wondering. If you skipped some time here, you are hesitant to ask what happened to them. PM me if the topic is toxic.....
Not toxic at all. I just thought of the Elvis song when you said hound dog.... :ROFLMAO:

Grass fed is for Gen Xers. Grain fed and finished to Prime is the way to go. If you want lean then eat venison.

Nemont

Grass fed all the way. Can't speak for steaks but the burger is some of the best I've ever had. On the flipside I havent bought ground beef from the store in close to 2 years. Ill get a burger or steak when I go out to eat but any burger ( chili, pasta, meatloaf etc.) is wild game.

We smoked a local grass fed prime rib roast last weekend. It was pretty good, but I‘m not a great judge. That was probably the first beef we’ve eaten in 5 years other than the odd burger at a restaurant. It was lacking the degree of marbling I’d typically expect, but good none the less.

Last week eel.....
702D5EBA-A8BD-41C3-AF07-9DAD349E618F.jpeg

Take them steaks and rub your favorite spices. Put in a ziploc bag and soak in Worcestershire sauce for a day. Grill them and final moment of cooking spead some butter to melt in. Yummy!!!!

No sir. I eat a lot of steaks. Like switching it up. My wife's family has a cattle ranch so we are always full of beef.

My bosco buddy was here today boiling beef tongues with me.....he said basque DO NOT eat beef ruined with worchester sauce........lol

that was a rib roast......very difficult to grade prime on grass...
True, choice at best. Even that is likely generous. Most of what I see advertised as “prime rib”, isn’t. The term has come to be used as a cut more than a grade it seems.

I was born and raised on a cattle ranch and I've had grass and grain fed beef. I was in 4H and FFA so we always grained our project steers. I definitely prefer the grain fed beef.

I just slaughtered a steer yesterday that I had been feeding grain and oat hay for the past 90 days. He weighed 1022 pounds when he got to the locker, thinking he probably weighed close to 1400 live. I'm ready for a steak here in about three weeks.

Looks like a lot of other people didn't get an Elk like me siince you all are talking about beef... :cool:

J
One of our local markets carries local grass fed beef. It's pretty expensive but in a moment of weakness I gave it a try and really liked it. I'm talking rib-eye steak. I've eaten it 3 times now and I like the flavor better than grain fed beef. The fat is more yellow and not as much fat, but you can't beat the flavor. The meat is more red color than grain fed, I think?

Just wondering what other people think.
Jerseys often have yellow fat.

I'm a cattleman and I have a contract to supply some grass fed cattle . personally I don't care for it. to me it's kind of slimy and doesn't taste as good. it's the same thing as keeping the meat from a cow you have to salvage because you can't sell it. I've never liked it as well as corn finished beef so I cannot understand why someone wants to pay extra for it.

But buy away I'll take your money.

I work in the industry.

I have access to anything that is available on the U.S. market

I much prefer steaks from grain fed beef.

Looks like grain fed wins Eel.

Homer, since you don't like Worcestershire on your steak what do you put on it. If you say nothing I understand that. My father wouldn't eat anything on a steak or ear of corn. Said it just ruined the taste.
I certainly wouldn't put ketchup on fresh cut French fries. A French fry would have to be pretty bad before I put that nasty ketchup on it. I have had really good fresh Atlantic coast shrimp that didn't need cocktail sauce.

What about you Eel, what do you put on those fresh Dungeness crabs.

S&P, a little garlic powder on occasion. Anything more you're losing the flavor. And the flavor is in the fat, so give me grain fed!

Papa John's Money Winner steak rub before barbequing and a pad of butter while the steak rests. That's it.

Dungeness crab right out of the shell unless I make a crab sandwich. Sourdough French bread with a mayo/ chili sauce spread.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom