Great Outdoorsmen Quotes

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
Winter's grip has me holed up, reading some classic outdoor writing of some of my favorite authors. I have run on to several great quotes worthy of passing along. I thought it might be fun to share some of our favorite quotes from great outdoorsmen.
Here is one of mine:

"Always remember that there is one thing that will forever be in very short supply in our world, (referring to trophy hunting) and that one thing is RESTRAINT!" Jack O'Connor

....too dead to skin.......

Genghis Khan raped so many women that 1 in 200 people today carry his genes..

"I would rather be wet, chilled, and exhilarated than warm, dry, and bored."

Peter Hathaway Capstick

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.
-Jose Ortega y Gasset

?A particular virtue of wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.?
-Aldo Leopold

?We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then and have known ever since that there was something new to me in those eyes, something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters? paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view.?
? Aldo Leopold

?I have lived to see state after state extirpate its wolves. I have watched the face of many a newly wolfless mountain, and seen the south-facing slopes wrinkle with a maze of new deer trails. I have seen every edible bush and seedling browsed, first to anaemic desuetude, and then to death. I have seen every edible tree defoliated to the height of a saddlehorn. Such a mountain looks as if someone had given God a new pruning shears, and forbidden Him all other exercise. In the end the starved bones of the hoped-for deer herd, dead of its own too-much, bleach with the bones of the dead sage, or molder under the high-lined junipers. I now suspect that just as a deer herd lives in mortal fear of its wolves, so does a mountain live in mortal fear of its deer.?
? Aldo Leopold

?Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.?
? Aldo Leopold

?The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.?
? Aldo Leopold

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Four guys unload on a herd of deer running up a densely covered drainage. While reloading, one guy yells out to his friends......." anybody see any bucks in that bunch?"

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall be
exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural resources
for the public as a whole, for the average man and the
average woman who make up the body of the
American people."

-Teddy Roosevelt

http://unitedwildlifecooperative.org

"The true trophy hunter is a self-disciplined perfectionist seeking a single animal, the ancient patriarch well past his prime that is often an outcast from his own kind... If successful, he will enshrine the trophy in a place of honor. This is a more noble and fitting end than dying on some lost and lonely ledge where the scavengers will pick his bones, and his magnificent horns will weather away and be lost forever."

Elgin Gates, Trophy Hunter in Asia

"The worst day hunting is better than the best day working"
Someone

"Hunting is hard.... if done correctly"
Title of an article written by my younger brother, Kurt.

"Hunting is a game of seconds and inches. I hope I may always have enough of both"
Me, Zeke

I work to hunt.
True story.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-13 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]"Travel light, get close, and shoot straight"

A friend of mine's signature.

"Aim small, miss small"

I know this is from a movie, but I always liked it.

"Hunt to Kill, Kill to Hunt"

Bow camp.

"Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was coming to mountains to trap and be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Says "Son, make your life go here, here's where the peoples is. Them mountains is for animals and savages." I says, "Mother Gue, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world", and by God, I was right. "
Del Gue- Jeremiah Johnson

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

Here is another:

O puny Man, wouldst thou atone
For years of swelling ego heart?
Go, treat the mountain-top alone,
And learn how very small thou art.

-The Spell of the Mountains-

"The big ones look BIG"
Jack O'Connor

"If I would have another six pack of diet Dr. Pepper I could have stayed another week"
Zeke

>"The big ones look BIG"
>Jack O'Connor
>
>"If I would have another six
>pack of diet Dr. Pepper
>I could have stayed another
>week"
>Zeke

LOL, You have a pretty good memory Mr Taximan!
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom