Greatest Rock Band?

AZtrophyhunter

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before. I'm gonna go with U2 easily. When you take into consideration how long they've been together & all of their great music it's no contest. Bono has contributed a lot to society too, he also has a little something called a Nobel prize.

I don't know who would be next, maybe the Stones? And no Ted Nugent either!

+1 on the U2 suckage. Bono shouldnt ever talk. He can sing, but just shut up already!!!! Id have to say the Eagles, the Stones, and Skynyrd. Oh wait, I almost forgot about Hanson!!

Lynyrd Skynyrd & I don't want any argument. I know Manny agrees with me!

RUS

Skynyrd's hard to arue with.
AC/DC's damned hard to argue with.

Other good ones that won't make the list...
The Doobie Brothers (China Grove baby)
KISS (lick it up)
Van Halen (was settin on the 4th row)
The Cult (Fire Woman, Love removal machine)
Aerosmith (Everything)
Foreigner (everything)
Boston

lrv

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-07 AT 06:58PM (MST)[p]Larry, you live in my universe!

Let's see if we can get HORNHOGIMUS to tell us about the time he hunted lions with James, the lead singer for the METALLICATS. The poop didn't even get the old man a autograph! Let's hear it son .. the statute of limitations is up!

"GIVE ME FUEL GIVE ME FIRE .... "

DADRUS

>The Beatles.
WTF eel ? I thought it woulda been the Turtles...

EdleBrock, the Turtles were way ahead of their time. The world just wasn't ready for them. Tragic, really......:)

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-07 AT 08:35PM (MST)[p]I would have to say that the best "well rounded" rock group would have to be the Eagles. All are fantastic musicians, all san sing well (except maybe Joe Walsh) and still have it after all these years.
2 more to throw into the ring are Van Halen and Iron Maiden.

I have to dispute Zeppelin due to the fact that Robert Plant cannot carry a note anymore if his life depended on it. Have you ever heard him live? Yikes! The rest of them are awesome.

I will toss in another vote against U2! They really are not great techinical musicians, just politically popular. If you dont believe me, try and listen to "the Edge's" guitar work. Definately nothing to write home about. IMO
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-07 AT 08:57PM (MST)[p]Eric! you want guitar ... how bout DuranDuran ... dang near perfect! IMHO.

Or how bout that kid from Kali that played for OZZY ... crap, I can't remember his name ... died in a motorcycle wreck ... anyway listen to him do Mr. Crowley ... WHOO WEEEE! Wait! just remembered (RANDY RHODES) they don't get no better.

RUS

yup, Nv. speceally Donnie.

seriously though my good friend & me had this same debate while playing cards, he also was very confused & stated U2 was the bomb.

That is till I forwarded this & made him shut his trap :-0

http://www.avrev.com/bands/

Rus
Randy died in a plane crash while farting around. He almost took Ozzy with him by buzzing his tour bus just before hitting the ground. Yep, Randy was one of the best and one of my guitar heros.
Eric

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

I'm with "blue", U2 sucks, i wouldn't even consider it rock!
I'm more of a Van Halen, AC-DC and a lot of 80's hair band rocker guy. Now for some hard stuff, NOTHING will ever beat old school Metallica!! Those 15 minute songs without missing a beat and jammin that hard STILL blows my mind!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Easy...Skynyrd. Oh yeah and U2 sucks. Modern day hippie mumbo jumbo liberal crap. Save the wales and so on. How bout best kinda music while were at it? Skynyrd did a few Waylon, Merle, and Johhny songs ya know!!!!

U2 blows chunks

1)Eagles
2)Skynyrd

Both have ties to country, which is far and away the BEST music genre. Nothing else compares, although I am a huge big-hair 80's rock fan, since it brings back great high school memories.

PRO

Creedence Clearwater Survival I think was great, didn't care for any of the other groups in the 70's before I got hooked on Old Country Music and will always be a 50-60's ROCK-N-ROLL fan, my how the times go by.

Brian

>Why hate on U2? Bastages!

Lynyrd Skynyrd !!!!!

AZtrophyhunter
That little "thing" you refer to just happens to be shared by
...........yassir arafat..................
kinda takes away from the "Prestige" huh????
Later
Foghorn

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-07 AT 10:22PM (MST)[p]Old Farts! hmmp! I danced with my beautiful wife at the senior prom to the Moody Blues "Knights in White Satin" She is still beautiful and still puts up with me!

RUS

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-07 AT 10:29PM (MST)[p]AC/DC???? what a friggen joke??? All they can play is 3 cords.
Zeppelin is twice as good, maybe 10X as good.

Metallica ain't all that bad.

But, this cats ears perk up when he hears:

Waylon
Willie
Haggard
Yes, I have U2 music in posession
Cash

The only bobcat who knows his music!!!!

Polarbear,
Randy wasn't farting around. The pilot was. And he was high on coke and pissed off at his ex. Randy is a guitar god. I think he hated wolves too.

Metallica. Bar none. If they can rock with the San Francisco symphony orchestra, they can rock with the whole world baby!!!

You can't top that!!

Still a country man at heart. Chris LeDoux may he rest in peace.

Aim Center Mass
rifleman.gif

No doubt the Rollng Stones, CCR a close second.

Rusted Root and Dave Mathews currently getting alot of play in my rig these days. Also, nothing like "Wanted" or "For Those About To Rock" jamming as you are winding down the road at 3:30 am getting ready to bust woods! Rock on, hunt hard!

"For those about to hunt, I salute you".........

Legend

Man, I'm a rock fan from the late 60's on and I've got'em all and my wife cringes when I turn the dolby sound system on down stairs. Cause I do Like to "ROCK THE HOUSE"
I've got over 100 33 1/3 Albums,300 CD's 100 Cassette's and finally shitcannned all the 8-tracks. And I'll have to go with 1. Rolling Stones, 2. CCR, 3. Lynyrd Skynyrd, 4. Led Zeppelin 5. The Eagles. There are so many underground rock bands that didn't make the charts that have great music also.

AND TO JOE WALSH--LIFE'S BEEN GOOD TO ME SO FAR TOO!!

old days was frank zappa and flow & eddie from the turtles played in the band one was live from the fillmore east and afew more. ten years after= alvin lee. next was traffic = steve windwood. still love skynnrd seen them 5 times. then montgomery gentry= hillbilley shoes. got to ride with them once and drink a few beers. must say they have some fine bikes. rick

1. Metallica (Old School)
2. Skynard
3. George Strait
4. Dwight Yoakam
5. Chris Ledoux

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-07 AT 02:34PM (MST)[p]I like U2, been to their concert and loved it.

Old school
1- Van Halen pre-1984
2- U2
3- The Beatles
4- Judas Priest - Bessys fav.
5- Journey- for the wife

Newer
1- Red Hot Chili Peppers- have been around awhile
2- Green Day
3- Nickelback

Country
1-George Strait
2-Alan Jackson
3-Toby Keith
4-Tim Mcgraw- not really country

I'm down with that albubba! Love the Chili Peppers, Green Day and Nickleback. Anyone who's got a single that's been on the chart for over 100 weeks is a great rock band (Nickleback).

Old school favs of mine would include U2 as well. It's so hard to pick THE GREATEST.

Damn!! Some of you guys have bad taste. It has to be AC/DC and then Metallica. No other choices!

Nickleback? Man, you cant have a pen!s and like Nickleback! Total commercial chick music!
How about Bread, America or Hansen while you are at it?
Shout out for Donny Iris!
Eric

deerline.gif

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-07 AT 09:41PM (MST)[p]Not too sure why ozzy was left out. Other than not a band, so to speak, and i cant understand a word he speaks. But with all the black sabbath, and the rest of his songs, IMO he has got to be worthy of one of the all time greats. 30 years of hard core rock and roll.....

For me, it's hands down Tool and/or Pantera. I like many of the other rock bands mentioned in this thread as well. (CCR, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Uncle Ted etc.)

>
>How about Bread, America or Hansen
>while you are at it?
>
Mmmmm Bop..flip the top...da doo wop..sdfwoerrewrawekjrsodfyoeresdfdmmmmbop

Ok Jenn, nickelback is awesome, i agree, but U2???
You just went down a notch in my book!! J/K

And skynard....oh ya, now we're talkin!!!!

I'm also a huge "new age country" fan.
Oooooh if Sara Evans only knew i wasn't married.......
Ok, Kelly Pickler is available now too....she's pretty hot!!;-)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Ok your right tag, Ozzy is (was) great in my book too.
But his latest song that they are beating to death where i live "Not Going Away" has GOT too "Go Away"!! It's boring and it sucks and it's a statement from him that he thinks he's immortal!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

I can't believe PINK FLOYD hasn't been mentioned yet. My favorites are-

-Pink Floyd
-Neil Young
-CCR
-Doors

Oh ya....i forgot about Neil Young, he's in a class of his own, but i still like listening to him, especially up on the mountain!!
Good call highhunter!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

AMEN pro!!!!!!!
Well...unless your doing a hit of acid, but even Wayne Newton sounds good under those circumstances!!;-)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Hello Class of 1980!! U2 rocks...you're just too old to appreciate it, Doug. lol

Skynard *eyeroll*

Kellie Pickler?? Are ya kiddin' me? You've got pimples on your butt older than that girl. She's not that great of a singer and that girl is DUMB DUMB DUMB. But, she probably goes for guys w/muscles so you stand a good chance. LOL

>Ok Jenn, nickelback is awesome, i
>agree, but U2???
>You just went down a notch
>in my book!! J/K
>
>And skynard....oh ya, now we're talkin!!!!
>
>
>I'm also a huge "new age
>country" fan.
>Oooooh if Sara Evans only knew
>i wasn't married.......
>Ok, Kelly Pickler is available now
>too....she's pretty hot!!;-)
>

>waylon or george jones...maybe cash......

ROCK, Brock...ROCK! Who do you like as a ROCK band. It's Poison, isn't it and you're just too afraid to admit it? lol

George, Cash and Waylon are pretty cool though.

>AMEN pro!!!!!!!
>Well...unless your doing a hit of
>acid, but even Wayne Newton
>sounds good under those circumstances!!;-)
>
Doug- did you mistake us for your 12 step program board again? lol BTW...that's why I bought the soundtrack to the Disney cartoon "Aladdin"? For some reason though, the soundtrack just didn't bring up the great visuals the movie had.....

Pink Floyd had some good stuff, guys. "Comfortably Numb" is good (even when you're not on acid, Doug). I tend to think ALL the bands mentioned recorded plenty of songs that can be classified as "noise". Those songs that lasted 20 minutes...sheesh....no thanks! Those guitar solos make me cringe and want to pull my hair out. Album rock SUCKS.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-07 AT 11:57PM (MST)[p]Greatest Rock and Roll band of all time?

UHH, that would be Led Zeppelin.

U2 is one of the greatest groups of our generation. If you don't like them that's fine, but to say they suck...I think the millions of album sales and packed tours say otherwise. They are a great band. If you know anything about guitar and music you will appreciate the way The Edge brings it. While not a Stevie Ray Vaughn or Richie Blackmore, he deserves a place among the great musicians in the last few decades. The way he is able to work the tones and sounds out of his guitars is very unique.

>U2 is one of the greatest
>groups of our generation.
>If you don't like them
>that's fine, but to say
>they suck...I think the millions
>of album sales and packed
>tours say otherwise. They
>are a great band.
>If you know anything about
>guitar and music you will
>appreciate the way The Edge
>brings it. While not
>a Stevie Ray Vaughn or
>Richie Blackmore, he deserves a
>place among the great musicians
>in the last few decades.
> The way he is
>able to work the tones
>and sounds out of his
>guitars is very unique.

Brittny Spears has sold millions of albums as has Madonna, so that shows talent has little to do with record sales.

PRO

Record sales aside, most of you have no idea how much good they've done for the world. Money donated, precious time given, organizations created for the benefeit of the poor.....the list goes on & on. How can you knock a band for that? Very, very, unselfish despite the fame & fortune. You don't have to like their sound, but to say they suck is ridiculous! If you are one of the guilty ones, there is still time to pull your head out.

I've also come to find that when you're hunting play a little U2 & the animals like it, they come right to you! :) That's how I killed my 400 bull, just put on a little Joshua Tree at the water hole & he came right in. I felt bad shooting him under those circumstances but I couldn't pass.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-07 AT 11:59AM (MST)[p]Ok ok AZ, your right and i didn't take that under consideration. U2, Bono and his boys have done a lot of good for humanatarian efforts, and a lot of other bands and groups should do even 1/4 of what they've done.

I just have never really cared for their sound, that's all.
But this HAS been a fun post, it's neat to see what all you guys and gals listen too!!

We could add in a little Bon Jovi and change the words a bit-
"Shot through the gut's and it's too late, you give bowhuntin a bad name". hahahahaha LMAO!! ;-)

Beat THAT!!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

AZtrophyhunter wrote: "I've also come to find that when you're hunting play a little U2 & the animals like it, they come right to you! That's how I killed my 400 bull, just put on a little Joshua Tree at the water hole & he came right in. I felt bad shooting him under those circumstances but I couldn't pass."

I think that is called suicide! That is the critters saying, turn that s#$% off or just shoot me.

When I say U2 blows, I am talking about their music. Regardless of what good they may/maybe not doing for good causes from the money generated from album sales.

PRO

I've played guitar, bass and (sometimes) drums for 30+ years and with some pretty damn good bands. (Albeit many years ago) I have yet to run into a seasoned guitarist that would consider "the Edge" an innovator or a "god" at what he does. He happens to be an ok guitar player in a decent band, nothing super about him. IMO. Album sales have absolutely nothing to do with technical music ability, look at KISS. KISS is, was and always will be a group for third rate musicians with one hell of a gimmick, presence and marketing. Gene himself says that they were not real musicians just great showmen as well as salesmen. I would also like to add that contributions to the better good of humanity does not make a person of group great musicians, just great humans. I aree that Bono has done a ton for the betterment of mankind but it doeset make their music any better for me. I tend to seperate the music from the band's political, religious and personal agendas/beliefs and listen just for the musicianship.
Eric

deerline.gif

Pbear, you bring a different and unique perspective to the mix. (as a musician). Do you like Eric Clapton as much as I do? I don't know squat about music.....but I like his guitar pickin'

Eel

"listen just for the musicianship"

Based on that statement, can anyone deny that the Beatles have probably had a more profound impact on modern music than anyone else in our life times?

RUS

No doubt about that one RUS, they were true pioneers.......but i never did like them....i'm not THAT old!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Everybody knows it's AC/DC.

"The vast majority of people don't realize that some of us expend tremendous amounts of energy to merely appear normal."

rock..oh should have read the post closer. best rock band of all time..humm.. metallica, GNR, poision----NOT!

This might be interesting, and it might not, depending on your perspective and your definition of "rock & roll"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4595384/

The 10 best rock bands ever (note post #12 :))

1. The Beatles

2. The Rolling Stones

3. U2

4. The Grateful Dead

5. Velvet Underground

6. Led Zeppelin

7. Ramones

8. Pink Floyd

9. Bob Marley and the Wailers

10. Sly and the Family Stone

>Lynyrd Skynyrd & I don't want
>any argument. I know Manny
>agrees with me!
>
>RUS

Top billing every time rus'

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-07 AT 08:37PM (MST)[p]Eel, Clapton is one of the very best! I have almost all of his stuff right up until he got sappy with the revised After Midnight Michelob commercial. I dont really like his later "pull on your heartstrings" stuff. His early work is awesome.
As far as the Beatles, I cant stand them! But I have to give them credit for being one of the most influential, innovative and original bands of all time. They also pioneered and perfected multi-track/multi layered recording which changed (revolutionized)the industry for the better.

5. Velvet Underground? WTF?

7. Ramones? With 2 hit songs?

9. Bob Marley and the Wailers? See above!

What in the hell were these hippies smoking when they came up with this list? Most deserve to be on the there but a few are waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the ball park. IMO

I'm sorry if I seem to be a d!ck about this, but music is a subject that I have had a major passion for since I was a kid.

Eric

deerline.gif

Come on Polarbear....you don't think songs like "Ob-la-Di Ob-la-da" qualify as greatest rock songs of all time???? LOL What's wrong w/you man?? ;-)

Sorry Tee-Tee. Every time I hear that "song" I think of Corky from Life goes on! Haahaaaa.....
Eric

deerline.gif

>Sorry Tee-Tee. Every time I
>hear that "song" I think
>of Corky from Life goes
>on! Haahaaaa.....

OMG SO DO I! ROFL I didn't think anyone would get the Corky reference though. hee hee hee Too funny, PB.

C'mon momma Jenn, young little Kelly needs a father figure and some muscles to straigten her out!!

Ok ok, can i have Sara Evan's then....pretty please????
PLEASE call that woman and explain to her how bad my kids need a good step mother!!! ;-)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

>C'mon momma Jenn, young little Kelly
>needs a father figure and
>some muscles to straigten her
>out!!
>
>Ok ok, can i have Sara
>Evan's then....pretty please????
>PLEASE call that woman and explain
>to her how bad my
>kids need a good step
>mother!!! ;-)
>
>
>
>
> Skull Krazy
>"No Bones About It"

I agree, Sara is smokin, her ex is braindead! I even watched Dancin with the Stars when she was on.

PRO

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-07 AT 12:35PM (MST)[p]"I even watched Dancin with the Stars when she was on."

Ya, right prout.

And I read "Maxim" for the articles.

I don't doubt that you have seen every episode.

Something about Sara.....wow, she's smokin!!
Not skanky, just has that "girl next door" look.
That's one celeb that can be fully dressed all the time and still look totally freakin hot!!

You've got good taste pro!! and yes, U2 music still sucks!! ;-)

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Without a doubt U2 is #1 in my book.

Other awesome bands:
AC/DC
Metallica
Nickelback
Three Days Grace
Staind
Foo Fighters
Green Day
Collective Soul
Van Halen
Most 80's metal bands (Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Judas Priest etc.)

Newer bands that haven't stood the test of time:
Hinder
Seether
Yellowcard
Switchfoot

I agree with pro all five post. I would however say that U2 Blows just blows. My vote goes with Zepplin and I think if you count them up in this thread Zepp wins and U2 is beaten by Britney Spears.

Oh and someone mentioned Nobel Peace Prise. That prise is so worthless in this day and age. They have given it to too many folks that their only qualification was it was politically Correct to give it to them. Piss on the Nobel Prise.

?Justice consists not in being neutral between right and wrong, but in finding out the right and upholding it, wherever found, against the wrong.?
---Theodore Roosevelt,

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-07 AT 01:59PM (MST)[p]OK, I was gone hunting when this thread got started and I just got back.

Like Polarbear, I too have been a guitar player and drummer for more than 30 years. I have also been a singer during that time so my tastes tend toward those instruments. I'm also older than most of you kids so my choices are slanted that way as well. Heck, I have never even heard of some of the bands mentioned.

Having said that, I couldn't possibly name one all time favorite band. In my opinion no list would be complete without:

Led Zepplin: Best all around band.
The Beach Boys: Most fun to sing along with.
The Beatles: Most innovative.
The Eagles: love the merge of country and rock.
Black Sabbath: Tony Iommi, the most under rated guitarist of all time. Ozzie, Awesome front man.
Rush: Neal Pert, Best rock percussionist of all time.
The Carpenters: (yes the Carpenters), Tragic loss of the best female alto of all time. Who knows what else they could have come up with.
ACDC: W/Bon Scott, One of the most interesting rock and roll voices of all time.

Bingo on Neal Pert being the best drummer of all time!
But for guitar, you can't argue that that Randy Rhoades will never really be dead!!
I STILL get chills listening to that guy play!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

If no AC/DC than Tesla is the next best.
dutch
" Man who excels at putting worm on hook is Master Baiter"

Tony Iomi is the Godfather of metal! That dude has done more for hard rock/metal than anyone else. Plus. he did it with half of his finger tips missing.
AC/DC has to be the best bar band gone big time. Bon Scott was the man!
Tesla was way under rated. Their guitarist were incredible musicians that were "toned down" by their producer and label to fit a certain genre. I actually hated them until I saw them live
and uncensored. Those boys have some major skills.
Eric

deerline.gif

Who in their right mind doesn't like U2 songs such as With Or Without You, Where the Streets Have No Name, Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, One, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday? I would say if you don't nod your head while listening to these tunes then you are straight up clueless & should go buy a Milli Vanilli record cause you don't know what music is! And what is this "I was in a band for two yrs & The Edge isn't a good guitar player, blah, blah, blah" HAHAHAHAHAHA! How exactley did you come up with that conclusion? Well guess what, I played baseball in highschool & let me tell ya, Tony Gwynn wasn't really that good of a hitter. I know, I played high school baseball, he was mediocre at best.

Wow, that was almost coherent. Not quite though.
Eric

deerline.gif

Beastie Boys! not really, just wanted to be the one to put this thread over 100! LOL

RUS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom