Green mountain elk

E

eyegaurd

I put in for this elk tag not having a clue about the area. I did some scouting and found elk, Im just not sure on quality. I was wondering what type of bulls are around.

Green isn't managed for quality. Talk to the biologists who handle the area and they'll tell you the same. The area is small and they like to keep things in check. I spent quite a few days on the mountain two years ago and only found one decent 6pt. I ended up taking a nice 5x6. It was the second best bull I came across.

Thats what I thought. I found a few bulls(8) in 2 trips, one decent 5. I will be archery hunting so any branch antlered will suit me fine. Im sure I will still have lots of fun.

Green Mtn. is popular with elk hunters more for the easy access to "good but average" bulls (it's heavily roaded) than for GIANT bulls. There's alot of interchange between Green and the Sweetwater Rocks to the north, as well as area 118 on the desert to the south, so you never know what might show up. 300 to 330 is probably a realistic high end, with mid to high 200's the realistic average "good" bull.

There's a reasonably high bull:cow ratio so you should have fun with alot of action and bugling.

Thanks everyone for the info. Maybe a low stress relaxed hunt is what I need. like I said my expectations are not that high, just a good hunt with my boy and his grandfather!

Eyegaurd,
where are you coming from? A nice 5pnt is very realistic w/ your bow. My daughter drew that tag we'll be up there alot.

wysako

I live east of gillette. I will try to make as many trips as I can through out the season.

Post some pics and give a story when you're done. Plan on drawing in the next 3-4 years.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom