grim reaper broadheads

G

grunttube

has anyone out there shot the grimreaper broadhead? And has anyone had issues with the blades not opening. I was doing some shooting into a hay bail and the blades would not deploy. (But of course it could have been the hay bail being loose or what ever. idk). thanks for the input in advance.

Trying to get my setup ready for the hunts!

I killed a nice bull last year - got great penetration and huge hole. He ran 45 yards and piled up. My buddy has had 2 very quick kills on elk with the same 100 grain Grim Reaper broadhead. I've not been archery hunting for too long like many others, but the Grim Reaper is one of the best IMHO.

+1 Try putting a paper plate on the hay bale and using that as your target. You will see there are opening just fine and when you pull them out they fold back up. It is a law in some states that a mechanical head cannot be ?barbed? so it must fold back up on withdrawal. I don't understand that law a fixed doesn't fold up either but that's how it is.

As with most jack knifing mechanicals, try not to take too steep of a quartering shot, you could get kick out.

GBA

I've been shooting Grim Reapers over the past four years and I've seen very good results...muleys, whitetail, elk, bears, African game, hogs, etc...turned 'em all inside out!

Like the other guys are saying, it's likely the heads opened just fine, but then closed as you pulled them from the bales. It's not uncommon to pick up an arrow that has passed through an animal and have the blades closed actually...they opened fine, but closed up when the arrow hit the ground and stopped. Momentum closes them back up.

Grim Reapers are a great mechanical head!

DSC02793.jpg

10-20-08032.jpg

nice photos, (backinthegame). the exit hole is very impressive. just wondering how far the longest shot was youv'e went out to, while shooting the broadhead. (I'm practicing to 60 yrds and notice a little drop). just wondering. Cool pics.
that makes me a alot more confident using grimreapers.

You know, those are actually both entry holes. The lower one, on the muley, is definitely much larger than the norm though! The elk one above it is much more what I would call normal from what I've seen.

I practice with the heads out to 80 or 90, and they generally shoot well for me. If I'm not getting a perfect tear out of paper they sometimes will shoot a bit differently from my field points though, even a mechanical has some exposed blade surface and they (all mechanicals) still require a well-tuned bow to be shot accurately on a consistent basis, especially at longer ranges.

Good luck!!

Best mechanical on the market IMO. Won't shoot anything else. Killed 3 animals with them and have been super impressed

My buddy shoots them. I shhot fixed, but actually just got some. My buddy has killed 3 elk with the same broadhead. I know people will give him hell for this, but his kills have been 89, 107, and 118 yards. He is on of the best shots I have ever seen. His deer last year was a 90 yard shot. All of them are all clean pass through. From what he has shown me from this is that they are sweet.

Your buddy must have some really good eye?s. A pass-through happens quick and even watching them on video and at 20 yards it's sometimes hard to tell how good a shot it was or if they even hit it. I wouldn't give your buddy crap for the long distance shooting but that's what it is, long distance shooting, not hunting. He isn't going to change his mind anyway. Obviously his challenge isn't how close he can get to his quarry and make an ethical clean kill, its how far can he shoot and get away with his arrow hitting the mark without his quarry moving or the wind on the animals end changing during that flight. Ask him if he clenches his A$$ cheeks together the moment he releases his arrow. If I was him I would be pretty puckered up and holding my breath until the arrow made contact. JMHO.

But yes, they are a pretty good head.

GBA

This is a whitetail a buddy of mine shot in Kansas last year and as you can see the grimm reaper really packs a punch. After following the blood trail for a while we came across a gut pile. No too much further we found the buck and noticed that the arrow had worked its way through the gut.

3167img_1012.jpg

1781img_1013.jpg

www.gettinstokedoutdoors.com

79 yrds last year on the extended. Didn't know what hit him. This is the entrance wound.

Pulverizer

6295168.jpg

158049.jpg

My wife has killed both of her deer with the 75 grains she loves them and they shoot great!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom