Grizz in Region H??????

coalminer

I was up scouting in Region H, on the fringes of the Gros Ventre Wilderness and saw to big blonde bears that I am pretty sure were black bears, they were a long way out but their physical features were black bear, but I just got curious and began wondering if the grizz have made it over into that country yet? Anyway just curious and thought you wyoming boys could set me straight!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-10 AT 09:05PM (MST)[p]They have made their way down south of there in the past as a Grizz was killed in the Greys River area back a few years ago and most likely there are still a few in there in that region.
It was killed either up off Blind Bull Creek or Deadman Creek just don't remember which one.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

A few years back, my buddy and I saw what we truly believe was a grizzly just above Afton. Can't remember the drainage name.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Both of those places are in region G where there are not very many grizzly bears. Region H has more than it's fair share.

I agree with the above posts. I was told by a government trapper several years ago that it was Blind Bull drainage after it had been marauding sheep on complaints from the Basque herders. I personally also lost a front quarter of a moose in 2002 to a grizzly on the north end of H not far from the Gros Ventre.

I'm headed up in above Green River Lakes in a few weeks and until a few days ago there was no camping within 5 miles of the trailhead due to grizzly problems. Thankfully they trapped and transferred it and another to east of Yellowstone.

Pat C.

Had one leave a print( couldn't cover it with both hands) in the mud where we watered the horses and mule up there in "H" so we know they are around. We never saw it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I have spent 10 years in the Gros Ventre hunting Mule Deer. We have encountered Grizzlies on 6 different occassions. There are a lot of Black bears up there too. I'm not sure where on the fringes of the Gros Ventre you were, but they are up there. I have never had any problems with them yet though.

I'm pretty sure that grizzly was killed in Deadman. There are a few around up there for sure. THe further south you get the fewer Grizzlies, however I've heard reports of guys seeing them in the very southern reaches of region G.

WYmoose
#####.com

I hunted H around the gros vont are 2 years ago, and saw a few black bears. I went farther north by the continental divide, and had a grizz sow and 2 cubs stand up at 20 yds. I also saw 2 more from a distance. I also ran into a pack of wolves. There were 5 in the pack, and the biggest was a black male. I passed up a really nice buck because I was by my self, and had 4 miles back to the truck and didnt want to pack the meat that far in the dark..I believe the area was called Swan Valley?

Not sure about H but we have confirmed one in G by the game warden. he came into camp and talked to us a couple of weeks ago while we were setting up. The grizz had hit a bait set up for blacks. Bait was removed by G&F so now he will have to look some where else hopefully not at our camp.

I just spent a week out in the Green River and New Fork drainages and saw one black bear track and that was all the bear sign I saw the entire trip. I do know they trapped and transported 2 grizzly out of Green River and the Gros Ventre area earlier this summer. They live in Yellowstone now. More city folks to chomp on ;-)

Pat C.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom