Grizzlies in Utah

Tuffbucker

Very Active Member
On another forum I frequent a guy was talking about having seen a grizzly here in Utah last weekend. He claims he and his brothers saw it on the dirt road that goes from the north fork of Hobble Creek to the Strawberry pinnacles. He says that he is positive that it was a Grizz (as he has seen numerous Grizzlies in his lifetime) and not a blonde phase blackie.

Anyways, he said that when he called the Springville DWR office to let the know, they told him that they had received other reports like his regarding a possibly Grizzly sighting in that same area.

Now Im not saying that it is impossible, and honestly I wouldnt be shocked if its ture. Heck, we dont "officially" have wolves in Utah either, so whose to say that the DWR has possibly confirmed the presence of Grizzlies in Utah and are just keeping it on the down low.

Has anyone else heard any reports or rumors regarding Grizzlies in Utah??

Hey TUFF BUFF!

Where the Hell You been?

Anything is possible Tuff!

But reporting a Wolf or a Grizzly to the UDWR is like PISSIN IN THE WIND!

They ain't gonna admit it even if they knew for a fact they were here!

I'd say it would be perty rare but not impossible!

Treat a Wolf as a Big Coyote!

And treat a Grizzly as a Black Bear!

I'd laugh my ass off if one of the Hounders put about 30 Hounds on him and it did end up being a Grizz!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

"I'd laugh my ass off if one of the Hounders put about 30 Hounds on him and it did end up being a Grizz!"[/quote]

Adult Grizz don't tree, that could get ugly quick.

leigh_grizzly_5.91_lrg.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-12 AT 12:04PM (MST)[p]Although I cannot be certain that this story is false, I doubt that it is true. I have spent a lot of time in that area this summer and while I have seen black bears I have not seen any grizzly bears nor have I seen any sign of grizzly bears. In addition, on several occasions I have talked to a particular houndsman who runs bears several days a week in this area and he has not seen any grizzly bears. However, when I saw the houndsman last Saturday his dogs were on their second bear of the morning and the houndsman was certain that it was a bear that his dogs had chased before but that he still had not seen. Maybe this is the grizzly bear?

I will be in this area through October and when I see the houndsman again I will ask him if he has seen this grizzly.

Have heard the same thing several times here in colorado. They(DOW) say there are no Grizz her in CO but in the hunting regulations it clearly states that it is illegal to shoot a grizzly..................Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Everyone is probably gonna hate me for this, but I actually hope we get some grizzlies around. There is just something a little more wild about the hills when you know there is something out there that could kill you.

>Everyone is probably gonna hate me
>for this, but I actually
>hope we get some grizzlies
>around. There is just
>something a little more wild
>about the hills when you
>know there is something out
>there that could kill you.
>

lions, black bears, are potentially deadly. but we have something far scarier then a grizz! a utard with a rifle! not only is 1 utard with a rifle scary! wait til you see the whole pumpkin patch army walkin around! now that is scary!

If I recall right back in 1978 or 9 a bow hunter was atacked by a grizz.in Col. And killed it with his Bow.Then they were going to charge him for killing endangered wildlife.It was in Outdoor Life.cowboy57

Yep and like 10 years ago one was killed during september bear season .

>Have heard the same thing several
>times here in colorado.
>They(DOW) say there are no
>Grizz her in CO but
>in the hunting regulations it
>clearly states that it is
>illegal to shoot a grizzly..................Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
>

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-12 AT 05:42PM (MST)[p]cowboy57---Yep, it was in bow season in 1979 and I remember it well. I had plans all worked out and licenses purchased for my first hunt out west in October of 1980 at Pagosa Springs, CO. Just a short time before we left the Outdoor Life magazine had a big writeup about what you're talking about. An outfitter had a doctor and his son on a bow hunt near Platoro Reservoir, which is not too far east of where we were going to hunt in the Weimnuche Wilderness. As they were going back to camp a grizzly sow attacked him and really mauled him and as she did he stabbed her repeatedly with an arrow and severed her jugular vein. They took quite some time to get him out of there and to a hospital, but he recovered. During the recovery the friggin Feds charged him for killing the bear and he had a heck of a time before they finally either dropped the charges or he was found not guilty for killing the bear in self defense. As I recall, when they did an autopsy on the sow they were able to determine that she had been bred and had cubs in the past. The theory is that if she had cubs that there obviously had to be a few more bears in the area if she had been there for any length of time. It is really primitive in that area of the San Juans and I was on pins and needles our entire hunt out there after reading that article!

well if it is true, learn from us, your idiot neighbors to the north (idaho). accept it and prepare for it so that by the time you get wolves delisted in your state that the predators are not out of hand. all of the tree huggers just denied denied denied about us having a problem, then next thing you know, the largest elk herd in north america is wiped out and one tenth the size...

I am pretty sure the '79 Wiseman incident happened south of the Weminuche in the South San Juan Wilderness. Awesome country both are.

I thought I heard that sometime in the last 30 years a bowhunter was killed in the Weminuche by a blackie - anybody know if that is true? Could be an old wive's tale.

Arroyo

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-12 AT 09:58AM (MST)[p]It was in the San Jauns, but over by Platoro Reservoir quite a ways east of Pagosa Springs and the Weimnuche where we hunted.

We don't have grizzlies in Utah. THE PROOF, has THE DON or SFW been given a tag to sell to hunt it yet? I mean there has to be a state park that "can be saved" by selling the tag, I don't trust the DWR, or the feds, but you can count on the GREED of THE DON!!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Know of a grizzly seen in Colorado by an experienced guide who has lived in a certain area and hunted all his life, including bears when there was a bear season. He saw it and also a hunter of his had seen it in a certain canyon. I guess this was about 10/12 years ago.

Not going to say where but no doubt in my mind that it was there!

JPE

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom