Grizzly Range

chewyman55

Random and possibly stupid question here but I was just curious if there are any grizzlies in the Bighorn Mountain range or is that a thing of the past? Thanks in advance.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-14 AT 01:53PM (MST)[p]Yes and No. For the most part no. But do some get over there? yes. Some say they seen them up on the bighorns. which is all he said she said. I take that like a grain of salt

I have seen a picture of one the Pryor mountains which connects to the bighorns.

Someday im sure more will appear. other than that no worries

In all likehood I'd say no, but you never know about how an animal will travel. Several years ago a cougar tagged as a kitten down south of Custer State Park in SD was killed over in the southern BigHorns, which is over 200 miles as the crow flies. I can tell you there is occasionally a wolf or three that gets over into the Bighorns. Several years ago a pack of 8 killed 40+ sheep on the ranch next to where I hunt and it was kept very quiet. The Father of the Government hunter that came in and killed three of them by plane told me the alha male his son killed had a collar on showing he was from up above Yellowstone near Gardner, MT. That again is hundreds of miles from collaring to where he ended up. So yes it's possible on the grizzly question, but pretty unlikely.

Interesting info there. I appreciate it. It was just one of those random Sunday thoughts :) I haven't spent any time in that mountain range, although I'd like to change that. Sounds like maybe grizzlies there aren't so much a thing of the past...as maybe a thing of the future.

>Interesting info there. I appreciate it.
>It was just one of
>those random Sunday thoughts :)
>I haven't spent any time
>in that mountain range, although
>I'd like to change that.
>Sounds like maybe grizzlies there
>aren't so much a thing
>of the past...as maybe a
>thing of the future.

***That will most likely depend on whether they are delisted from the ESA and we can start controlling their population similar to what they're trying to do on the wolves so they won't expand past where they already are. What the antis will not admit is that when a population fills an area the younger ones have to expand their range in order to survive. A good example is the wolves in Yellowstone, just like any other animal, don't know the boundaries they're supposed to stay within.

I think you'd be pretty safe assuming basically none for now. It won't take much for them to get there through the owl creek mtns and come into the bighorns from the southern tip. I live up against the owl creeks and there are plenty. Much of that country is reservation.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom