Grumpy Old Man Gets Lucky!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-14 AT 07:25PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-14 AT 04:56?PM (MST)

After three days of walking and glassing I finally found a solid buck bedded in a perfect place for a stalk. He bedded in a big wide open basin with only one big bush he could find shade under. I stalked from above and waited for roughly 3 hours at 25 yards. He finally stood to change position and I drilled him. It seems so easy when all the planets align. I tried 13 different stalks last season and never could get it done. Great Day!!!

131scott_2014.jpg

It wasn't all that bad this year, I found him about 1 mile from the end of a well used trail. When I got back to my truck I found I had cell service and called a couple good friends who showed up a couple hours later for the packout. I killed him at about 1:00 PM and we had him off the mountain by dark.

Thanks, stalking deer sure is fun when you look around and don't see any other deer you might bump on your way in and you have a good consistent wind. The second his head went down as if he was going to stand I came to full draw, he looked so big at 25 yards even I couldn't screw it up.

Excellent buck. Congratulations. It is about time someone from Nevada posted a buck from archery season. I highly doubt you are a grumpy man right now.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-14 AT 08:09AM (MST)[p]I have to admit that after you pull off a good stalk and make a solid hit you can't help but smile. I've been bowhunting for 37 years and this kill was as exciting as my first at age 15. I have two sports I'm really passionate about, bowhunting and snowmobiling, they give me something to look forward to every year. I guess it's time to tune up the snowmachine, it will be snowing in the high country before you know it.

Excellent job - even for a grumpy old man! Congrats on a great buck. Can't wait til the muzzy opener to have my chance!

That is a great buck! Stalking those big bucks and getting them is definitely tough and super rewarding. So many times they slip away, but when you get it done it sure feels good. Congratulations!!!!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

Thank you all for all the congratulations, I'm still really pumped about pulling it off. Being superstitious I refused to practice two weeks prior to the opener because my last practice session went so well. I wanted to leave that perfect shot visualization in my head for the next moment of truth. I'm even more superstitious now that it appeared to work.

Nice buck, Grump! The last time I stood in the sun for three hours waiting for a shot, I sneezed. Got a nice tan, though.

As I reflect back on the hunt, the 3 hour wait was kind of peaceful. The temperature was just about right, there wasn't a single bee or wasp that wanted a piece of me, I was able to take off my quiver as it was a little breezy and I had a water bottle handy to take a sip every now and then. The only stress was when he stood hoping he didn't run before I got an arrow on the way.

Thanks again for the compliments. I hunted with my son in the Rubies for the next few weeks, we saw a couple good ones but those mountains have a way of chewing you up and spitting you out. Still Recovering!!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom