Guess the Age of this buck

Redbluff77

Hi guys. Here is a nice big, swollen neck mule deer buck in the rut. I saw him in my backyard twice. Once around Halloween and once around Thanksgiving.
I just blurred out my address on the shed. I wouldn't want some of these archery guys to know where these bucks winter. People do stupid things on the front and pressure these deer in the neighborhoods. This is Wasatch Front buck. I've seen larger bucks. This particular buck was cruising, looking for does. He's the biggest bodied deer I've seen around here. Here is 3 pictures of this buck. How old do you guys think this buck is?

Attach1958_20221105_155446.jpg

Typical B&C Mule deer it would likely get close to 170 after deductions. Your photos present some challenges to speculate a score with accuracy. I see a few extra points and it appears maybe some broken/missing points G3/4 on left side? Age at least 3.5 maybe 4.5 years old. I have lived from North Ogden to Davis Co. for over 50 years and yes there are many of these guys hanging out at the edge of National Forest and subdivisions from Brigaham city to SLC. Your lucky to seem them in decent daylight now. We will never again see them in the numbers they were prior to the 1992/93 winter. Nice deer keep quiet about it or yes someone will get it.

I say 4.5.

I question thepot belly being from age or a gut full of ornamental from the garden he can't digest.

This is just what a mature muley looks like. I think so few people get to see them. 4.5 for sure, maybe 5.5. Nice buck and could be a great buck this year.

I bet anyone who doesn't know about hunting would be wondering why many are adding the 1/2 year to the age. LOL.
I know about hunting and STILL don’t understand the 1/2 year thing? If that picture was taken in September, I’d guess him to be a 5-1/4 year old.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom