Guide/PH Follow-Up Shots

cbeard

Very Active Member
Been watching several shows on hunting in Africa and notice that the vast majority of the time on dangerous game the PH IMMEDIATELY follows up the hunter's shot with one of his own and then they both keep shooting until the animal is down.

Believe me,I fully understand the safety reasons why this is done-to avoid a dangerous tracking job. BUT this still irks me greatly,especially since the PH shoots immediately without regard to the hunter's shot placement. I personally think this is going too far and bordering on ridiculous.If I were a hunter I would not feel good about my kill since part of the accomplishment is that you made the kill on your own.It seems there is no opportunity for the hunter to take a full measure of satisfaction in his hunt.

Again,I get that if the shot is marginal everything possible needs to be done to get the animal down quickly. But this automatic "double-teaming" goes too far IMO.Am I way off base?

I agree, if it was me I would make it clear that the PH would not shoot unless there was immediate danger to a human life. If he would not agree to that then I would hunt with someone else.

What if the hunter misses? Is he supposed to go around saying "look, I paid $25K for my PH to shoot this animal that I missed"

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

i agree with you for most animals, but when you get the guys who want to shoot an elephant with a bow, there needs to be some rifle shots there too or the elephant would never be recovered. just depends on the animal and the method.

For most hunters, it is a personal goal to shoot their own animal and watch it fall. That is a commendable feeling, and hopefully drives the person to practivce with their weapon, learn anatomy of the target, and develop a proficiency before they embark on such a wonderful endeavor. However, there are a lot of novices out there that are woefully unprepared, and probably shouldn't be on that hunt at all! Sometimes there is a prior agreement between PH and hunter, but sometimes it is just the PH's choice, based on bullet impact or animal reaction. Please remember, the camera very often has a much different view of what is actually happening. All too often, American hunters tend to watch for their shot's result (since they are shooting an "elephant" gun) instead of shooting until it is down. A good brain shot on an elephant is immediately apparent, but make a bad shot and they can be gone in an instant, then you'll wish you had asked for backup shots. I have done it both ways, and neither is better than the other - just different circumstances.

Ask yourself "Can I afford the 25K trophy fee, if it gets away, and still feel good and macho about my shooting"?

No but I feel just as bad when I do 2nd choice mule deer hunts for $50 in colorado. To me it is a bad feeling if it is grouse that flys away after I see the cloud of feathers or a deer, elk or elephant. They are all the same to me and demand the same level of accuracy.
The way I see it is if I wanted someone else shooting the animal I am after in that situation, I would just as soon get beef from the store that someone else shot in the head with a 22.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I've had a frank discussion with every PH I hunted with in Africa before the hunt started. The PH was not to shoot in anything but a life threatening situation. (Telling him not to save some trackers or your own life is telling him not to do his job.) All seemed happy with the discussion, and agreed not to shoot. Anything else is unprofessional, IMHO. Those that insist on shooting are just interested in making their own job easier, without regard for the hunter. It always amazes me how many seem to accept this behavior, but it is largely frowned upon by expereinced African hunters. Videographers have an entirely doifferent motive, however, hence you see this more commonly on filmed hunts.
Bill

there is a video by fred eikler where he shoot s bear with his bow and the guide tries shooting it but he yells at him to not shoot. it. its comical. i wouldn't like it if someone went around doing my killing for me.

I've noted the same (about the guide's shot before seeing whether or not it's called for).

No guide or professional hunter would EVER do one of those immediate follow-up shots, if I were the client.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom