guide tipping/whitetail outfitters

map1

I recently hunted the 2nd gun season for whitetails in Illinois thru an outfitter. I hunt mostly DIY but thought I would try a guided hunt for WT as I have yet to take a big one and the last few years haven't had a lot of time to hunt. The outfitter and guide were good people but I was a little turned off when the guide on the first morning out was talking about how he works for tips, etc... when all he had to do was drop me off and pick me up in the evening as I sat all day. I didn't kill anything so there was no need to skin/cape the animal so why is he deserving of much of a tip for a 3 day hunt? Also in the midwest beware as the cost outfitters pay to lease land is so high they have to have hunters on their properties for bow, gun, muzzleloder etc.. I think their properties get a little overhunted. 3 guys of 9 took deer over 125 but I thought that could have been better. I saw 1 shooter in 3 days. Not to whine just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure if I would tip if all he did was drop you off and pick you up. Especially since you didn't draw blood. I guide duck hunts a little bit here in Oklahoma when I have time. 95% of the time we limit out. I never expect a tip or ask for it. If I have a hunt that I don't think is up to bar, I take the hunters back out the next morning(if I'm free), or the next available day the group and myself can meet again at no charge. To me if someone pays for a hunt, I'm giving them what I would want in a hunt.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was this hunt? We are thinking about selling 2 whitetail hunts next year for a 130" or better. We hunt in OK and see 2-4 shooters on average per day.

I think you are right to assume some of these areas get over hunted. Finding the right outfitter is tough as there are a lot of ones who only care about making a buck and don't really care about getting you a buck. I have been on two different guided whitetail hunts. One in Nebraska and one in Canada. The first was one of my worst hunting experiences ever and a total waste of money. I didn't tip the guide a single cent. There is a lot more to the story, but everything was horrible. On the other hand the outfit I went with in Canada was awesome. Great guides, honest outfitter, good lodging, food and great hunting. Not everything went perfect, but was a good overall experience that the outfitter did everything he could and when something didn't go right, he did what he could to make it right. I think the right outfitter knows how to not over hunt areas and really take good care of their guests. Good recommendations are really, really a must.

In your case I would have tipped him about 2-5 bucks. I believe that is the going rate for tipping a taxi driver. Did the car smell like curry?

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Tipping on hunts is always at the descretion of the hunter but a rule of thumb is 10% divided between the guide, cook, wrangler, etc. if they all did there jobs and the hunt was what was adveritzed and expected. If not, should be adjusted downward.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom