Gumbo

Blank

Long Time Member
What's a boy to do with fresh Okra and a big pot? You guessed it right - gumbo!! Bald head will be sweating tonight. :)

C2DA8573-3DAE-4F9F-916F-BA3B125B7981_1_201_a.jpeg

FAF9863D-5A54-49FC-A4F4-C9AB07374C49_1_201_a.jpeg

The real test of a good gumbo! Do you really want to eat it for dinner, after testing and tasting all day?? You bet; it was delicious.
smile.gif
And I have plenty of leftover for hunting season.

18DDC068-BC7A-4FEA-B1B4-A3A0796166BB_1_201_a.jpeg

F8E1F218-9E49-4FBF-9A81-55334C530A7A_1_201_a.jpeg

Gumbo is unique, as there are as many recipes as there are people down South. This works for me. Since I can't type so good right now, will try to put this together from my list of files
Ingredients
  • 1 heaping cup all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil
  • 1 pat of butter
For the Gumbo:
  • 1 bunch celery , diced, leaves and all
  • 1 green bell pepper , diced
  • 1 diced jalapeño (I like heat)
  • 1 large yellow onion (I use sweet ones) , diced
  • 1 bunch green onion , finely chopped
  • 1 bunch fresh chopped parsley , finely chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, can substitute garlic powder
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 8-12 Okra pods, sliced into pieces
  • 1-2 Tablespoons cajun seasoning (any you like)
  • 6-8 cups chicken broth (I use those little boxes)
  • 12 ounce package andouille sausages , sliced into 'coins' (substitute Polska Kielbasa if you can't find a good Andouille or double up one of each)
  • Meat from 1 Rotisserie Chicken, or dice up and fry 2 or 3 pieces. Perfect place to use thighs
  • 2 cups Shrimps , tails off and pre cooked
  • cooked white rice and Tabasco for serving
Instructions
  • Make the Roux: In a large, heavy bottom stock pot combine flour and oil. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 20-30 minutes. I like the large burner, but turned down lower to spread out the heat better; keeps from burning. This part takes patience--when it's finished it should be as dark as chocolate and have a soft, "cookie dough" like consistency. Stir or whisk continuously, be careful not to let it burn! I like a wooden paddle with a flat edge to get it all scraped off, sometimes the wire whisks just contact the pan in too narrow a spot. Feel free to add a little more flour or oil as needed to reach this consistency.
  • Brown the sausage. In a separate skillet on medium-high heat place the sausage slices in one layer in the pan. Brown them well on one side (2-3 minutes) and then use a fork to flip each over onto the other side to brown. Remove to a plate. Getting the cold fat out of the sausage lets it absorb more of the flavor.
  • Cook the vegetables in broth. Add ½ cup of the chicken broth to the hot skillet that had the sausage to deglaze the pan. Pour the broth and drippings into your large soup pot.
  • Add remaining 5 ½ cups of chicken broth. Add veggies, parsley, and roux to the pot and stir well. Veggies can be sautéed separately, if you want them softer. I like to add a can of diced tomatoes too.
  • Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly tender. (Skim off any foam that may rise to the top of the pot.) Stir in cajun seasoning, to taste.
  • Add meat. Add chicken, sausage, and shrimp.
  • Taste and serve. At this point taste it and add more seasonings to your liking--salt, pepper, chicken bullion paste, garlic, more cajun stuff or more chicken broth--until you reach the perfect flavor. Serve warm over rice. (Tastes even better the next day!)
What a dumb azz; read thru it twice and still missed the fact I left the Okra out. That was the whole reason to do it in the first place!!!

Last edited:
Gumbo is unique, as there are as many recipes as there are people down South. This works for me. Since I can't type so good right now, will try to put this together from my list of files
Ingredients
  • 1 heaping cup all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil
  • 1 pat of butter
For the Gumbo:
  • 1 bunch celery , diced, leaves and all
  • 1 green bell pepper , diced
  • 1 diced jalapeño (I like heat)
  • 1 large yellow onion (I use sweet ones) , diced
  • 1 bunch green onion , finely chopped
  • 1 bunch fresh chopped parsley , finely chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, can substitute garlic powder
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 1-2 Tablespoons cajun seasoning (any you like)
  • 6-8 cups chicken broth (I use those little boxes)
  • 12 ounce package andouille sausages , sliced into 'coins' (substitute Polska Kielbasa if you can't find a good Andouille or double up one of each)
  • Meat from 1 Rotisserie Chicken, or dice up and fry 2 or 3 pieces. Perfect place to use thighs
  • 2 cups Shrimps , tails off and pre cooked
  • cooked white rice and Tabasco for serving
Instructions
  • Make the Roux: In a large, heavy bottom stock pot combine flour and oil. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 20-30 minutes. I like the large burner, but turned down lower to spread out the heat better; keeps from burning. This part takes patience--when it's finished it should be as dark as chocolate and have a soft, "cookie dough" like consistency. Stir or whisk continuously, be careful not to let it burn! I like a wooden paddle with a flat edge to get it all scraped off, sometimes the wire whisks just contact the pan in too narrow a spot. Feel free to add a little more flour or oil as needed to reach this consistency.
  • Brown the sausage. In a separate skillet on medium-high heat place the sausage slices in one layer in the pan. Brown them well on one side (2-3 minutes) and then use a fork to flip each over onto the other side to brown. Remove to a plate. Getting the cold fat out of the sausage lets it absorb more of the flavor.
  • Cook the vegetables in broth. Add ½ cup of the chicken broth to the hot skillet that had the sausage to deglaze the pan. Pour the broth and drippings into your large soup pot.
  • Add remaining 5 ½ cups of chicken broth. Add veggies, parsley, and roux to the pot and stir well. Veggies can be sautéed separately, if you want them softer. I like to add a can of diced tomatoes too.
  • Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly tender. (Skim off any foam that may rise to the top of the pot.) Stir in cajun seasoning, to taste.
  • Add meat. Add chicken, sausage, and shrimp.
  • Taste and serve. At this point taste it and add more seasonings to your liking--salt, pepper, chicken bullion paste, garlic, more cajun stuff or more chicken broth--until you reach the perfect flavor. Serve warm over rice. (Tastes even better the next day!)
Well done, very well done. Thanks B.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom