gun advice/opinion

regularjoe

I am in the market for a new rifle for my wife who needs a compact/youth rifle. This rifle will also serve as a starter gun for my kids. For the sake of simplicity, we are sticking with the compact/youth out-of-the-box option in lieu of cutting down a stock. I have searched the threads here (not much there on my exact question) and the internet (found mostly positive information in regards to my question) but, I wanted to put the question out here. Lord knows this IS THE PLACE TO GO if you want opinions and I would like to hear opinions/knowledge (first hand hopefully) on this topic.
I believe we have narrowed it down to two guns: the Remington 700 SPS
Compact or the Howa 2-in-1 Youth (the caliber will be 7MM-08). Currently, the decision is solely being based on which quality, factory gun ("factory" noted to head off any custom gun talk), feels best to her - I think she is leaning toward the Howa. With that being said, does anyone out there have any experience with the Howa 2-in-1 Youth? How does the Howa compare to the Remington in terms of quality, accuracy, dependability, etc?
A gun that has peaked my interest while looking at guns for my wife is the CVA Scout. While it certainly doesn't have the notoriety or "nobility" of say the Encore, it seems like a solid, well built gun that would be a lot of fun. Does anyone have anything to offer in regards to this gun?

I love my howa! the actions are weatherby, and the houge overmolded stock is really nice, accuracy is everything a remington is. I was faced with the same dilema for my wife this year, I bought her the 7mm-08, I have one as well and kill all sorts of stuff with it. I ended up getting her a savage axis. Its crazy accurate and really priced cheap, hate the trigger but it was an easy fix.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-12 AT 07:11PM (MST)[p]Have you ever looked into a 243 wssm i have a couple and my wife loves to shoot it compared to my other guns i have 2 of them and i am actually selling one of them as soon as i figure out how to run it legally so my name wont have a tie to it if whoever i sold it to did something stupid but anyways if you havent looked into them i would suggest it to alot of starters or wives The one i am selling is a browning A bolt composit hunter with a shorter stock and has had approx. 100 -120 rounds through it selling with a 4-12 scope for $400

The Howa action is based off the Weatherby "vanguard".
Although its a great action, it should never be confused or compared to the Weatherby "Mark V" action.....its not even close.
I have both models of Weatherby's.....I love 'em!!

uh...not quite..

the weatherby vanguard "IS" a howa action.

...howa is a very good action.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Right now Cabelas has a sale and is selling Weatherby Vanguards for $339. This is a killer deal. I think Weatherby has a higher resale value compared to a Howa (even though they are essentially the same gun). I would go pick one up in .243, 7mm 08, or my personal choice for a young hunter would be .308 Win. With the money you save buy an aftermarket youth sized stock and your kid is set for life. Changing the stock is a matter of 2 screws. They may even have a compact/youth model on sale too as I know Weatherby makes one. This is the old model Vanguard they just came out with a new model, but these are great rifles, really hard to beat for the money.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

My wife is a small, she got a browning x bolt in 7mm 08. Very nice accurate little gun. Given all the options we looked at I liked the Remington model 7 and the x bolt the best. She is a sucker for browning so that's what she chose. Gun has little to no recoil.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I would take the Howa rifle over the Remington. They have proven to be a very reliable and accurate rifle over the years.

RELH

Have you looked at the Howa Axiom? It has an adjustable length of pull stock. That way you all could shoot it. The Howa's are tack drivers as are the weatherby's (same gun, different stock). The axiom is a love it or hate it kind of gun as far as looks go though.

smiley-violent064.gif

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-12 AT 01:42AM (MST)[p]Jef, wait till you get a sticky case in the Rem. and you watch that small extractor pull off the rim and leaving you with a stuck case in the chamber. Now while you are on that mountain top, you better hope you have a cleaning rod with you to knock out that case or quit hunting.

RELH

P.S. Do some research and you will see that Remington has been taking some hard hits lately on quality control issues.

Had the same questions when my kids started hunting. Bought the
Howa in 7mm-08 and the kids and wife love to shoot it. Shoot 140 nozler partitions and the accuracy is great. The adult stock that comes with it is about $150 if you were to go out and buy a Houge stock. Good for when the kids grow up.

I bought my wife a Savage youth model in 308 with a Leupold 4x12x40 light weight, very accurate. She loves that thing.

Tikka, berreta, sako... non american too... look around Made in American is a rarity.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

>Tikka, berreta, sako... non american too...
>look around Made in American
>is a rarity.
>
>"Courage is being scared to death
>but saddling
>up anyway."

LMAO. I was waiting for that......

Think I'm going to get my daughter the Weatherby Youth in 243. I have seen it on some sites for under $400.

"In the breast of every meat hunter there beats the heart of a secret, frustrated trophy hunter."

You could never convince me that even Remington is 100% made in America......i'd bet money they at least use foreign steel.

BTW- Thank you slick Willy for your push in foreign trading, i enjoyed my 13 years working at a steel mill all to see it dismantled and moved to China so we could buy the product back ;-)

First, I have a Browning A-bolt and I'll be damned it says its made in Japan on the side.

Second, I have a howa with the overmold stock and I really like it. PLUS, your not in it a ton, and while I prefer wood, you won't mind a kid learning how to not beat it to death because its not wood. Really accurate, good gun.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom