Gun during archery season?????

silverstatehunter

I can't figure this out. Are you allowed to carry a Rifle with you during Bow season if you have a Mountain Lion tag? The reason I ask is I am going Solo into the rubys for the next week or Two and have seen numerous Lions there before. I have a Lion Tag and would love to pack my rifle into base camp with me.

Great question. It's my understanding the the person whose name is on the archery tag cannot carry a firearm, but if your buddy who is tagging along with a lion tag is good to go.

A few years ago a friend of mine drew a late muzzloader deer tag and a late rifle elk tag and carried both weapons which Im sure is legal but in your case I don't know.

Well I think the regulation probably says you cannot have a gun when you are archery hunting. Without looking I don't know what the wording is. Our local undersheriff recently told a friend, when they were discussing the possibility of carrying a handgun for self defense while bow hunting, that regardless of what the Wildlife regulation states a judge would throw the charges out. He felt it would be a clear violation of your second amendment rights to keep and bear arms. I'm pretty sure a game warden is gonna see it differently so it would be up to the judge.

Now, all that being said, you do have a valid mountain lion tag and the season is open and you are not restricted to archery equipment for mountain lion. Seems clear enough. So if the gun was in your camp, you're probably ok. If you're actively pursuing A deer under the archery tag, I doubt if it would be nearly so defendable a position if you are carrying the rifle and the bow. I think that would be regarded as "hunting" with the gun since you possess "the means". I'm pretty sure the regulation definition of hunting says something about pursuing... "with the means"...

This is kind of the same question I asked two game wardens once about having a bird dog with me while I was deer hunting with my daughter (she had the tag) in case I wanted to hunt chukars too. One warden said the regulation states you cannot use a dog while hunting big game. The other one said "I know what my judge would say, he would throw it out". The two did not agree.

I would call NDOW and ask and please let us know what you are told. Oh, and maybe get the name of the person you talk to.

Ya this is what I read in the Ndow Regs.
"It is unlawful to carry a firearm in the field while hunting under archery regulations"
But it still doesn't specify if I have a Mountain Lion Tag in my pocket.
I have a friend that had a late Area 7 archery deer Tag as well as a Area 7 any legal weapon Bull elk tag. There's a big issue.
I like the rule but there should definetly be some exceptions. I am calling Ndow to get a final answer so stay tuned!

Ok so I talked to 6 different people at NDOW and nobody wanted to answer that question. Finally one of the game Wardens told me she thought it would be ok to pack a gun from the vehicle to a Basecamp, but to make sure that if I saw a deer that I drop all the equipment except the bow to hunt and pursue the deer.

SO in layman terms don't get caught sneaking on a deer with a firearm on you. Keep it in your pack or in your camp until you see a lion.

Kinda what I thought you'd hear. Did you get her name? :) Might come in handy in court.

So it indeed appears that a judge could have to make the final determination depending on the attitude of the warden at hand.

I just helped a friend recover an archery antelope that had been wounded. About all I did is drove out to meet the hunter and offered encouragement while the animal was recovered but, all the while, I had a .223 and my .40 in my pickup as I usually do. I'm thinking that would have been frowned upon.

I think you're legal (I am not a lawyer, cop or judge) but it could be a big pain in the butt and costly to defend yourself. So be careful. Make sure you don't put yourself in a bad position.

NVB...you got it right, regs say no gun during Archery season.

Knowing what the regs say, we still pack when we are up there. I usually have mine on my hip, and my mt lion tag on me.

I have been with a warden with my gun when my buddy was archery hunting and it was not a problem, but who knows what the next guy will say. He might be having a bad day and we will be going to court. That being said, I sure better packing, and it not the mt lion I'm worried about or have had problems with.

Alex

Being archery hunters we ask this of every game warden we talk to. last year in the Pine Forest range we got the clearest answer we have gotten yet. If you bring a firearm during archery season then it needs to stay in your vehicle or in camp. being in possesion of it regardless of a mountain lion tag or not is illegal. I as well as you guys always carry a sidearm during the hunt. The lion situation in this state is dreadful. Im not generally worried during the day or while glassing. but at night or very early in the AM and espeicailly during cleaning and packing out of game. Heard waayyyyy too many horror stories.

Man,

Lions must be around every tree?

I sure wish they were, would make for easier training of the dogs!

For the OP - If you see a lion, go back to town, and throw $100 in the slots. I think you have a better chance of doubling your money than you did of seeing the lion.

Last year, there were 4,175 lion tags sold. There were 131 lions killed by hunters. All but probably 2 or 3 were killed over hounds, so good luck in finding one in the first place.

If you get a deer, just plan your route accordingly. You're not just gonna get munched on walking down the trail. Pay attention to your surroundings and you will be fine.

Later,

Marcial

Ever heard of a mountain lion attacking a person in Nevada?? Come on guys.

If I were a true archery hunter, I wouldn't want a firearm around to take away the credibility of my archery kill.

Your chances of seeing a lion during the archery hunt are slim to none. With that being said the laws vary greatly from state to state, it's almost like a change of culture. It used to be legal,I'm not sure if it still is, to carry a sidearm while bowhunting in the state of montana for protection from bears. The state of ND has no bears but I believe it is still legal to carry a sidearm. The reasoning was that if you get lost or injured this is the best way to signal for help. I'm pretty sure that if someone in Nevada saw somebody carrying any kind of weapon other than a bow during archery season you would be labeled a poacher, whereas in other states poaching wouldn't even cross their mind. Food For Thought!!

and never leave your rifle in the pic....
1930nmelkriflepic.jpg

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I always liked that pic with the back-up in the background!

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Regardless of a CCW permit? I say this because Texas is the same way in prohibiting a firearm...expect if you have a CCW, then carried concealed and claim it if a warden confronts you.

Sure would make those long hikes feel safer :)

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom