Haha Colorado Hunters…

elks96

Long Time Member
05A46F86-8A63-469C-8C0A-A8D42D63B3BD.png

Maybe you until you moved away and got all self-righteous...And I shot a two point once. 29 inches wide, good mass. Tank of a body. Still one of my favorites. And I saw a forky in 66 today that wasn't far behind.
Haha. I just laugh. Last fall there were piles of doe outside the packing plant in Meeker along with 10-15 2 year old bucks… it will be interesting to see what happens this year in the NW. Any bets the overwhelming majority of bucks killed in the NW are nothing like they used to be?

150” buck in “W” likely isn’t mature. Especially if he’s got 4 on each side. Just saying.
I have not killed a buck under 4 years of age in almost 15 years… I gues there might be a difference in the term mature for me 4 year old or older… there is a chance my buck last year was not 4 but he had cheaters and extras so…

But still better than forky…

By the rules in WY I have had to let this buck walk twice(last year and this year) in my archery hunt. My son really wanted to kill him this year, but this summer the buck was barely on private every time we found him. My son was bummed as we have talked about killing this buck for a couple years. Land owner was not open to allowing access…

8B457EF8-B9FE-4D86-86CC-5955332C87B7.png

By the rules in WY I have had to let this buck walk twice(last year and this year) in my archery hunt. My son really wanted to kill him this year, but this summer the buck was barely on private every time we found him. My son was bummed as we have talked about killing this buck for a couple years. Land owner was not open to allowing access…

View attachment 90650
Wow, I like that one

I mean you aren’t wrong… lots of Co tags getting hung on forkies… to each their own. My freezer is full this year, so I will be picky. Taking a new hunter out so he will not. Also unit we are hunting is a zoo, so we will see what shakes out haha.

I mean you aren’t wrong… lots of Co tags getting hung on forkies… to each their own. My freezer is full this year, so I will be picky. Taking a new hunter out so he will not. Also unit we are hunting is a zoo, so we will see what shakes out haha.
It is sad how much it has shifted. The NW units for example… Unit 22 2nd or 3rd a guy could
Easily hold out for 170+ buck if they had entire season. Now they are lucky to even see a 150 buck.

Last year everyone went and hammered the doe and they are set to do it again this year. For no good reason at all.

I likely should have changed the meme from 2 points to doe and fawns. Last year the packing plant in meeker stopped taking animals because they had pile of doe and no room. When my dad dropped off there were like 20+ doe laying there one other 4x4 and 2 forks… it was sad… I am somewhat relieved that I don’t live there anymore because I would have had a very long year chewing them out and fighting the BS.

Sadly most the hunters in he area were so proud and so happy to shoot a doe…

It is sad how much it has shifted. The NW units for example… Unit 22 2nd or 3rd a guy could
Easily hold out for 170+ buck if they had entire season. Now they are lucky to even see a 150 buck.

Last year everyone went and hammered the doe and they are set to do it again this year. For no good reason at all.

I likely should have changed the meme from 2 points to doe and fawns. Last year the packing plant in meeker stopped taking animals because they had pile of doe and no room. When my dad dropped off there were like 20+ doe laying there one other 4x4 and 2 forks… it was sad… I am somewhat relieved that I don’t live there anymore because I would have had a very long year chewing them out and fighting the BS.

Sadly most the hunters in he area were so proud and so happy to shoot a doe…
Lots of new hunters man, its hard for guys to hold off I think when they are new and hungry for a kill or for meat, to be honest I am a lot less picky with an empty freezer, that isn’t the case this year, but I won’t hold my buddy to my standards especially when you hunt a unit you can draw as a 4th choice every year…

I'd rather take a yearling than a 3-yr old future possible trophy if I needed the meat that bad. Taking that 3 year old is NOT any better than taking a forky. JMO. Can't remember the last forky I killed. Decades ago. But if I wanted the meat, I would have zero problem killing a yearling! You want a big buck...don't kill a 150.

Why shouldn't someone be happy with a doe or a forky? It's THEIRS. Maybe they don't need a 150 buck.

I think a lot comes down to people being paranoid now days with the situation of our country. People see the bare shelves in stores and listen to the dooms day sayers and feel the need to fill their freezers.
If my freezer is empty. I will lower my standards at the end of the season. If it is full and we really don't need the meat. Then I don't feel the need to kill a small buck. No one in my family has ever shot a doe and do not plan on it unless we are starving.
I also saw the piles pf does in meeker last year and it was sick. Most of the trucks we saw slaughtering does were from out of state.
I agree that the NW units have really went down hill. I don't blame that on people shooting small bucks,( there will always be that) I blame that on CPW management. More tags, doe tags. moving the seasons later, etc has really hammered these units.

I agree that the NW units have really went down hill. I don't blame that on people shooting small bucks,( there will always be that) I blame that on CPW management. More tags, doe tags. moving the seasons later, etc has really hammered these units.

Absolutely agree!! You can't take out 300-400 does a year from a unit and NOT have a negative impact on herd numbers.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom