Hard going

utahbigbull

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-12 AT 04:51PM (MST)[p]Went to my usual spot yesterday putting in 8 - 10 miles and boy it was rough this year compared to the past for deer. I managed a matching mediocre 4pt burried in the scrub oak that I somehow missed last year and a little 3. That was it for deer. While glassing, I found tips of an elk antler across the canyon at the base or a oak stand. After making the grueling hike over, I found a 6 point elk shed. I seached the area and found the matching 5 point side 80 yards away. First matching elk set I have found so eventhough it was a rough day, I was happy! Thinking of putting the elk sheds on a Mountain Mike's skull even though he is no monster. Do you guys have anything else better you like to do with your sets?

8723dscn1346.jpg

29890414121409.jpg

45890414121339.jpg

Here are the elk after getting them home, cleaned, and touched up.

7629dscn1349.jpg

1556dscn1348.jpg

go back and find the other sides of those elk sheds because they do not look like matches to me. In my opinion there are too many differences on those sheds to be the same bull.

anybody else think so or am i out of my mind???

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-12 AT 11:46PM (MST)[p]Rough going? Looks like a great day to me. The elk pair look like a set - if the bases match up that is.

Funny you should say that! I have had a hard time talking myself into it too :) These sheds were within a stones throw of eachother in an area not known for many elk. They were found opening day on a WMA and one of them within sight of a trail but I never seen anyone else in the area. I spent the entire second half of the day grid searching the entire surrounding drainages and never came up with anything else. They are close but so far apart. Curious to see what everyone else thinks???

Was this the East Canyon WMA?

my buddy picked up a nice 5 point that looks really similar to the one you have. He also picked up a six like the one you have not far from the 5.

The ones you have do not look like matches to me at all.

I was up at Henefer WMA and we found a decen 5 point, but it was last year. I didn't really see anyone up there so I bet the matches are still up there (For now).
You better get them before this weekend.

Funny HJB, Besides me, there was one car and two horse trailers was it (Never seen the horses). The bummer part is I dont know where they came from but three kids (from the car) were two ridges away and with the bino's I could see they had an elk shed. What do you think the chances of one of the matches being a full two canyons away? The 6 point was visible from the trail and figure if they seen it, they would have been all over it.

So you must have been the car parked at the Firehole entrance right? I saw the two horse trailers. We were further east toward the junction but never saw anyone else other than some yahoos running dogs on chukars and guy running 4 wheeler up one of the private access roads. They said they come up every weekend to run dogs on chukars. I told them it was closed during the winter and they didn't seem to care.

So later on when we ran into some fish cops I let them know and I think they waited for them to come down.

BTW- That guy on the 4 wheeler wasn't paying much attention to the road:
6784henefer_2012_010.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-12 AT 01:25PM (MST)[p]I was driving a maroon and silver Dodge truck at the main entrance just south of Henefer. I was there from around 7am till 5pm.. I found a couple spike deer sheds and left them on the road too, be interesting to see of anyone sees them before I make it back up :)

I think no match. The thirds are to much of a difference. Usually they are at least close to the same in length.

Same goes for the royals. Not a match for sure. Looks like beam length is off too

Well guys, in my mind I knew they were not a match but my legs keep telling me they were ha ha. Looks like I might have to try sneaking back in there :)

In my opinion I say they are a set. The brows look to be the same genetic wise and just because the thirds and fourths are not the same length doesn't mean jack.

Look at the color, it's perfect.
Overall size/weight of each side appears equal.
Can't see the bases. If the bases match, it would be a set.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom