Has anyone been calling coyotes lately

coyote

I have been haveing great luck with a pup in distress call. Just wondering if anyone else has been out lately.

coyote.... Welcome to the site!

I had a Coyote sneek in the property over a barbed wire fence last night and it killed one of my biggest Tom Turkeys (28 pounds) just yards from my bedroom window.

I think the same yote killed a Hen turkey just about a month ago also. I won't be out calling till the first of September but I will be watching for that mangy a$$ Turkey killing varmint from now on around the house!

do you have any pics to share??

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-10 AT 04:27PM (MST)[p]I save mine for the fall and winter. But if you want to call yes a pup in distress or a male challenge or female howl will make them come running.

I also hate the snakes and heat this time of year. I have had several run ins in the rockpiles I hunt.

have fun!

I am planing on going out today after work. I'll take a camera along. If things go right I'll have a pic to post.

Too hot for me to go out and call. I usually wait til the first of September to call. Gives time for the pups to grow a little bit and the temperature is tolerable.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff

I was able to get out tonight for 3 sets. First set had a coyote come chargeing in at the two minute mark I stoped it with the 12 gauge. Next set we waited 25 minutes nothing. Last set we got one two bark at us but never showed it's self. Got some good pictures but am going to have to get my wife to help me post them. I am not to good with computers.

coyote...... Look forward to seeing some pictures! just curious what State are you calling in?

Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

118100_0671.jpg

I hope the pic. works. Anyway I live in western Colorado and the places I have been hunting in. Are wintering grounds for elk and deer and are closed to the public from end of big game season until May 1. So I can't hunt this area when pelts are prime. There is a large population of coyotes since they are left alone all winter and since I will be elk hunting starting end of August thru sept. And Deer hunting in Oct. I thought now would be my chance to hunt this area for coyotes.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-10 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]coyote..... Nice job! Bet it seems kinda wierd calling Yotes in a short sleeved t-shirt and the heat!
Seeing pics of your success just gets me anxious for September and since I did not draw a single Big game tag the Song dogs are in big trouble out where I live.

Thanks for sharing and keep'em coming!

Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

I'm a coyote hunting addict from California. I try and go calling at least once a week. Here is a pic and story of one I shot last weekend.

My first setup at first shooting light I called in two coyotes. They came in behind me. I was sitting in the brush and one came in to 5 feet. There was little air movement at all. When they hit my scent, they were gone. On my fourth setup. I saw a coyote casually coming in. I was set up in an old citrus grove and was tucked back in a row of trees. When she went behind a bush I drew back. She stopped at 25 yards and I let her have it. Young female dog... but a dead dog. I've been calling quite a few in but just haven't put it together until today. This is #6 for the year... the best I've ever done. The most I've ever hunted too... which tells me that there is definately a correlation between time in the field and success.

9065coyote_07-03-10.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/user/bowuntr

BOWUNTR......Hats of to any Man who can take Yotes with his bow!!
Great story and pic, Thanks for sharing!!

Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Bowunter, Great job thanks for sharing. I to am a avid bowhunter after I get a few more yotes under my belt I might just try get one with a bow. Not sure when I will get a chance to go out again. Hopefuly sooner than later. When can I expect to start seeing some pups.

Awesome pictures guys! Can't wait until September!

As far as pups you should be seing them running around with the adults now and probably on there own within the next month or so.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff

Got to go out this morning. First set had the call on for 90 seconds when I saw a coyote chargeing in then my 8 year old daughter said dad theres another one I look to my left and there were two comeing in hard from that direction but before they got within shotgun range the wind blew and all 3 of them winded us and got out of there before I could get a shot. The next stand didn't produce anything and by then Katie was ready to go home. Still haven't seen any pups. Whats the best sound to use for the pups.

coyote...Pups Imprint on the Injured Rabbit sound when they are old enough to leave the den to hunt with the parents.
The first time an adult catches a rabbit or bird or any small creature while hunting with the pups the distress sounds that creature makes are instantly imprinted in the pups brain to mean FOOD.
So a Rabbit Distress Call will always work on the young uneducated yotes once they are booted by the parents and are on their own for the first time finding and catching food is a struggle making them a born SUCKER for an easy meal.
When they hear a rabbit crying they remember the first one momma or daddy caught and how easy it was and they come hauling a$$ in to get the rabbit before their siblings.

Keep on Stackin'em!!!

Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Thanks for the input Ol'Buzztail, I should start calling in some pups will start useing the rabbit distress when I start seeing some pups, Also can't wait until bobcat season. I just bought a 22mag for the cats. Shouldn't tear up the pelt like the 22-250 would.

coyote....When I started calling I only had a 22mag and It did the job on many Yotes, Foxes and Bobs. In areas where your shots won't exceed 100 yards it is ideal, it will drop Yotes in there tracks with a shot to the ribs or chest. and like you mentioned won't blow up the Bobs or Foxes.

I also like the fact that they are really quiet compared to my 22-250 and you get alot of secondary kills on the same stand cause the shot doesn't seem to spook a second incoming Varmint.

But for the first part of the season the trusty 1187 Rem Autoloader is my best medicine for all the young hard chargers.
You actually got me thinking about going out and giving it a try just for $hit$ and grins to see what I can kill..

Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

I'm itching to get out myself and believe me september is not coming around fast enough! I was able to pop a couple volunteers out at the ranch the other night, two young pups not much bigger than a weiner dog lol.

Olbuzztail, You might as well go out and tip a few over, sure beats work or sitting at home. I'm excited about trying my new 22 mag out. Sounds like it has worked great for you. Plus they are alot cheaper to shoot. I'm still trying to get a scope for it I just lost the bid on Ebay. Oh well I'll just bid on another one.

coyote...I keep trying to find time but right now the fishing is so hot everywhere and I have been going out to different spots through out the State every weekend..

I have two 22 mags a little Marlin with a 7 shot clip and a fancy Ruger with a laminated stock & all weather semi bull barrel. I love them both and shoot them regulary at my home at Jacks & Cottontails, They really do an explosive number on them using the Winchester 40gr hollow points. Great Practice!!

You should'nt have to much trouble finding a scope for that Mag as you don't need anything fancy, any lowend 3x9 will work just fine.

September will be here soon and then Carnage begins...

Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Ol'Buzztail, Looks like i'm going to get a chance to get out tonight. My neighbor is wanting to go. Its realy easy for me because the BLM land touches mine so I can just hop on the 4 wheeler and theres thousands of acres to hunt. The 22 mag I bought is a Marlin its tube fed and holds 12 rounds. It is a bolt action. I finaly won a bid on a 3x10x44 BSA scope. I have one on my ruger 10-22 and love it.

2364100_0676.jpg

Was able to make it out tonight, First set, had this coyote come charging in at the 2 minute mark. 12 gauge did the job.

coyote ..........Way to bust'em up!! Keep up the good work!

Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Had a chance to go out lastnight and this morning, never saw hide or hair of a coyote. thought for sure we would call some in. We went to some realy good areas. I have the next 5 days off so hopefuly will get a chance to go out some more. Anyone else kill any yotes Lately. Ol'Buzztail have you had a chance to get out yet.

Love to hunt em' just like to have a skin worth hangin' onto. Never have hunted them in Summer. September seems to start things off for me, but Nov,Dec,and Jan are my favorite months.

coyote ....Hey I was out in the Desert Sunday searching for Box Turtles and I saw lots of evidence that the Adult Yotes are now laeding the pups around on hunts. I saw lots of adult tracks with 2-3 sets of puppy tracks following in the mud..
I did not try to call as it's just to freaking hot out and I wanted to concentrate on spotting turtles to make some extra cash.
Next month I will start giving it hell and start my quest for a 12 pack down in one day....

Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Call in 2 last night but never had a shot they top out on a ridge about 500 yds away. I wasn't serious about hunting them yet come Nov and Dec it going to be fun.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom