has anyone ever beat a drug addiction on their own?

brokenneck

A. Short version of my story, i had an accident where I hurt my neck, had a few surgeries on it, obviously pain medications along the way. Been on them for way to long. It's hard for me to say, but I do know there is an addiction to them, but I also do have day to day pain still. But I have tried to go for a day or two without them and an having a very hard time with it. More of a "testing the waters" deal. But in my heart and head I want to quit. I never thought I would have a problem doing so. But my"testing the water s" tell me that it will be pretty hard to do.

Obviously it's going to have to be a mindset,I know that,I guess what I'm looking for is advise from people who has been through it and anything that helped.is the only way to do it is going "child turkey"? Or can a person realistically take just 1 less pill per day, or go down 1 every 2 days, until your off?
My biggest motivator is looking at my kids everyday,I want to do it for them. Thank you

You should strongly consider seeing a pain management doctor. Be brutally honest with them.

This is not one of those things you should depend on the internet for definitive help with.

So?

You Growin your Own?

Or are you Poppin Pills?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Broke neck, I sent you a PM.

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

Elkaassassin, I get prescribed pain pills, nothing illegal just what the doctors / pain management guys have don't to help have just prescribe more pills. And now it's became a problem I think.

Huntindad, you nailed it 95% I will get back you after work today.

This isn't something my doctor has told me is a problem, it's one that I just see myself,I've tried going a day or 2 without them,when my prescription was out before a refill and its not good. My wife watches these "drugs Inc." ,"intervention" etc, and I don't want to ever get worse,so I need to get over them. Thanks

Brokeneck,

They say the first step to overcoming a problem is recognizing that elkassassin has one.

Best of luck to you man, youre on the right track.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Physical therapy, chiro work, and many, many other healing and energy modalities out there to depend on rather than pain meds with serious side effects. Good luck, detoxing off the drugs is gonna hurt worse than your neck for a bit.
Make your intentions known to everyone around you that cares about you. Have them hold you accountable and also for love and support. I've seen legal and illegal drugs ruin too many lives of friends and family.

Traditional >>>------->

>Brokeneck,
>
>They say the first step to
>overcoming a problem is recognizing
>that elkassassin has one.
>
>Best of luck to you man,
>youre on the right track.
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I
>just stir it.[/font]

EASY there NVB!

I don't have the Problem until they send the Leftover Pills to me!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-14 AT 04:22PM (MST)[p]

Look up Drugs Forum.com then look in the forums for drug addiction and recovery and then in the opiate section.. You can read more help stories than anywhere. I had a neuroma in my foot when I lived in Utah and the pain was unbelievable. The Utards doctor kept giving me pills instead of surgery. I switched Dr's and got the surgery. It fixed me but then I had a week or so of wd's. You can do it .

Bad backs and necks are a huge problem. It is always on your mind. Somepeople have more addictive personalities thus having a lesser or greater predisposition to chemical addiction. Some doctors are the biggest problem albeit the FDA has made major changes to eliminate "candyman" doctors. If you want my brutally honest opinion, if you have a bona fide chemical addiction to an opiate pain killer, you will never beat it without aggressive professional help and assistance with Rx agents such as methadone. Short of that you are fooling yourself.....if you have a true addiction.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

My son is in prison from drug addiction issues and his favorite drug of choice was perfectly legal Oxycontin and other opiate derivatives. He would rather take dope than eat. I would get help as soon as you can. If you want to know if you are addicted just stop taking the meds for 24 hours and see how it goes.

My ex wife is an addict and her addiction is opiates. It all started with a car accident and back pain. 27 years later she has been in jail a dozen times and been through 6 or 7 rehabs..has no relationship with my 3 grown kids, doesn't have a good tooth in her head and lives with another addict in a trailer. YOU WILL NEVER KICK IT ON YOUR OWN! If you think you are addicted get treatment now.

Be carefull about just stopping cold turkey it can be very dangerous. Most opiate addicts need to go through detox and be medically supervised during detox. Good luck. It's a tough long road....

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-14 AT 01:51PM (MST)[p]+1 to 1911's comment. Get professional help ASAP. Very true that open/honest recognition of the problem is a great first step. Now you must follow-up with professional help. 'Beating' this kind of thing on your own is VERY unlikely in the long-run.

Glen's and Kingfish's experience is disturbingly NOT uncommon. Opiate addition is extraordinarily serious and can/will ruin lives.

Sincere good luck to you on this!

Stan

So?

What kinda HIGH You getting out of Poppin these Pills?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-14 AT 05:57PM (MST)[p]Pills are made to be additive. if ya snort them then it could be the toughest habit to break.

its tough when ya get surgery then the doc cuts ya dry and you cant sleep with out them.

if your snorting them I suggest asking the dr for a non snortable pill like oxy-op or a opana pain pill.

If your not snorting them then asking a dr is the next step which should be the next step if you cant live with out them

if your doing water extraction and injecting pills I suggest you turn yourself into rehab

I been around a lot of people with problems. my bosses son recently died from a FENTALY patch. He injected it then mixed it with a BENZO and it stopped his heart. The guy that supplied the FENTALY is spending some time in jail

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-14 AT 10:44PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-14
>AT 05:57?PM (MST)

>
>Pills are made to be additive.
>if ya snort them then
>it could be the toughest
>habit to break.
>
>its tough when ya get surgery
>then the doc cuts ya
>dry and you cant sleep
>with out them.
>
>
>if your snorting them I suggest
>asking the dr for a
>non snortable pill like oxy-op
>or a opana pain pill.
>
>
>If your not snorting them then
>asking a dr is the
>next step which should be
>the next step if you
>cant live with out them
>
>
>
>
>if your doing water extraction and
>injecting pills I suggest you
>turn yourself into rehab
>
>
>
>
>
>I been around a lot of
>people with problems. my bosses
>son recently died from a
>FENTALY patch. He injected it
>then mixed it with a
>BENZO and it stopped his
>heart. The guy that
>supplied the FENTALY is spending
>some time in jail
Just an update, but I wanted to start with this post. I am not even remotely near the level your describing. BUT, that is what I'm worried about. I see it on tv shows, and I am salt afraid to get to that level, and 5 years ago Iwould say how is that possible, today, unfortunately,I understand.

It may not sound like much, but for the last 2 days I went down 1 per day. Probably if you don't understand it dont skind like much, but for 3-4 hours it's pretty dam tough.

I've had a few pms, thank you huntindad and Stanley , I appreciate the words of encouragement and real world advice.

Maybe I'm not as bad as a lot of guys, but I recognize what I consider I big problem. I know that I could not just stop taking them without a major problems.I guess all I can say is I would like to not just tell all the family about my problem, I would like to try to help myself. That's why I originally posted was for maybe helpful things that would help the withdraw symptoms that I will have.
But one thing I think I do notice. I guess since simply typing out my thoughts, which I've tried to do a few times in the last month or so, it seems like I am trying to really give it an honest effort. In my mind, I've never been best by anything, although I know this isn't something I've been through before, I'd like to think I could do this on my own. But like 1911 said "if you really have a problem", shoot, I don't have anything to compare to. I think I have s problem. But an I over reacting? Is mine just s minor one? I honestly don't know

so at least your not abusing them to get a high.

if your really need them for pain then try this.

when you hurt take one. but have a better half half/wife or whatever hold them. when you hurt you get one. now if you cryfor one all the time that person gives you none.

also if you know you have 3 bad days a week of pain that is horrible tell the doc to cut the prescription down to have enough for a couple days of pain a weak. now you have to conserve them for pain.. and get stuck in your head you can only take when ya really hurt.

I know people that get 150-340 oxycodones a month. one guy has to take 12 a day.. good God. im sure his liver is just shot with all that Tylenol

i broke..... no shattered the lower 6 vertebrae in my back. for years i had the most excruciating back pain. then one day i met a dr who offered me hormone replacement therapy. come to find out the human growth hormo e along with testosterone and deca solves arthritis and back pain and now i live life 99% free of pain. lets just say i might be addicted to those so called steroids now and i have no plan of getting off so no i havent beat a drug addiction if u call it that.

my addiction is hunting horse racing and i spend ungodly amounts on that very year. those to addictions are destroying me financially.

Doctors are pretty good at getting you hooked, but they don't have an answer for what happens next.

A guy I know got hooked on pain pills and ran out. His doctor said no and told him to go to the emergency room. The emergency room doctor said no, so he went out to the parking lot and put a bullet in his head.

Don't be like that guy, get help.

Eel

My bro in law (decorated police officer) got hurt on the job....bad back. Got hooked on pain crap. One night, the pain was so bad he tried melting a pain patch and shooting it up. He went into cardiac arrest and died. Married with 5 kids. Everyone knew he was in pain and hooked on the stuff. Offered help....he didn't want to hear it. Bottom line is if you want to help yourself, its up to YOU to get off of them. I still think about how he melted down the patch and shot it into his veins. Someones gotta be pretty hard up to even think that is remotely safe....

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

In 2010 I fell off a 8ft ladder and broke my neck puncherd my lung and broke 7 ribs was in the Hospital for 8 days 3 of that was intensive care I have had head aches and back pain since that happened. I take a class C narcotic pills for the pain went to physical therapy and they helped a lot to manage the pain with ice and heat don't take anywhere close to what I did 3 month ago days that am working out and yard work is the day I take the pills for relief If want pm me you can.cowboy57

I would talk to you doctor, to see what the alternatives are. Also do not go off cold turkey, you would want to cut your dosage down slowly, and most doctors will be glad to tell you how to do it. The last think you want is to come down like a sack of taters.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

My prayers are with you that you can you can kick this. But think about this.....Tough to hunt when you are high. You must be a hunter or you wouldn't be here. No better addiction than what we do as hunters. Good luck, mtmuley

PM me, I've got some insite. I was addicted BAD for the last 3 or my 9yr addiction that almost took my life. 4 surgeries and docs throwing pills at me for 2yrs did me in...

I've been clean for 41 months now.

muleyman

I got a call this eve from the ex of an old friend(15 years ago) that has been on pain pills and morphine shots for headaches the last 7-8 years. He tried to commit suicide last night. He's in CCU. Took about 40 oxycodone pills....brilliant. I'll go see him in the hospital tomorrow, but not sure what I'll say to him. I think I'll start with "I'm glad you're alive" but my next line will be "quit being a focking idiot"! I got no sympathy for those that abuse. If you don't get it under control, you're just getting in deeper.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

What many people here seem to be missing: A drug addiction doesn't always mean you are overdoing it or snorting or shooting or even taking them to get high. You can be taking them for pain and following the label then one day the pain is gone so you stop taking them and boom you have withdrawals. That .fans you are NOT an addict but you are addicted.

chewed for 20 years and drank a few beers every day. don't do either anymore. it was definately an addition for me. quit both on my own and feel much better but still miss it.

i guess the correct answer is do whatever it takes quit!

DeerMadness, you are absolutely correct. It starts out innocent enough. Pretty soon the drug controls you and it's not intentional at all. I feel terrible for those folks.

Eel

Good for you in recognizing that you may have a problem...now don't stop there. Get the help you need now while things are still relatively calm.

Someone in my life has had a lifelong battle with addiction, including pain medication. It's hard (to say the least) on EVERYONE involved, and can be very far-reaching.

Best of luck.

Deermadness,you are 100% correct. I think some are confusing what I am saying to the hardcore guys. I live a very normal everyday successful life. I am very busy in my live of work and carry a reputation of being very good at what I do. I don't try to melt down pills, sniff them, or any of the other things mentioned. I get prescribed pain pills from a doctor, and I take the amount I am prescribed. In fact,a couple years ago, when I first had my accident, the doc prescribed me pills that were twice as powerful as the ones I take now, and I asked him to change them to the lower dose ones. He has offered me "medical marijuana" but I won't go there.
But that doesn't matter I guess. The point is I am addicted to them, and would like to wein my way of them.

I was away from my computer for the last week, for work, but here is my updates.

On Friday I woke up and figured I would try to go ask day without one. That didn't go very well. I made it till 11 o'clock and seriously was getting the shakes and a headache(but the headache is from my neck injury) by the time the day was over,I actually ended up taking 1 more than I normally take a day.
So the next day I just did my normal rutein.
Sunday I did my normal rutein, but did go down 1/2 at the end of the day. So then I've stayed with that since then.

So when I attempted a"cold turkey" day it didn't go well for me,I think I'm better trying to go slowly.

Thanks for the advice and stories. It does help

Don't fall for the medical weed. It'a a joke.

As someone who smoked a lot of herb when I was a kid, I can tell you that it does not relieve pain.

I'm sure most of the people you know would agree, unless they are just weed monkees who will say anything to justify be a stoner.

You might be able to cope with it (IE too dumbed down to care) but it is not a pain killer.

From what you have said, it seems more likely you have a dependence on pain killers vice an addiction.

Dependence (which may be a part of addiction) is a condition whereby a person enounters a relatively low-dose therapeutic use of certain medications such as benzodiazepines, opioids, antiepileptics and antidepressants.......all stuff which could be prescribed for your neck injury. This can also include recreational drugs, including alcohol and tobacco.

IF that is indeed the case, then slow dose reduction is the way to go, which is what seems like you are doing.

True addiction is a mental disease that will likely include both physical/psychological dependence and is usually evidenced by the person still using the substance despite clear and harmful effects on that person/friends/family.

However, internet advice isn't worth squat when it comes to your life/future. You really should consider seeking advice from an in person MD. A couple of appointments is money well spent considering your future could hang in the balance.

All that being said, congrats to you for recognizing there is a problem. Many folks would not be in your position.

"Philippians 4 New International Version (NIV)
Closing Appeal for Steadfastness and Unity
4 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!

2 I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Final Exhortations
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Thanks for Their Gifts
10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I CAN DO ALL THIS THROUGH HIM WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH."

Always remember you are strong and blessed and someone great believes you can do much more than you think you can.

6yr old thread fellers, don't know if he's still around. Be interesting to see how he made out.

I think what you're really talking about is physiological dependence rather than addiction. Addiction is usually indicated by misuse of the pills, using outside the parameters of the prescription, increased functional problems due to pill use--job, relationship, money, health...

Anyone will develop tolerance for opiates. Less effect from the same dose over time. As someone suggested above, see a pain specialist. There is a balance between quality of life being hindered by chronic pain and problems associated with long-term medication use. You need to find that balance, but make an informed decision, not one based on fear of 'what ifs'.

I've worked with a lot of addicts and a lot of people with chronic pain. Sometimes, after long-term opiate use, discontinuation of them ends up alleviating the pain. Sometimes you try and go back on them for awhile. I assume you've done physical therapy.

6 year old thread

It would be nice if he would come back and give us an update.

Maybe someone else will get some use out of this thread. Fortunately the American public is becoming more aware of the opioid problem our country has.

I inject patients and have prescribed a lot of opioids for my job(anesthesia). I also do many anesthetics without using opioids. Opioids are not a good long term plan to manage pain. Even for acute pain there are often more effective alternatives that have less side effects. If anyone out there is struggling with dependence or addiction, the first step is realizing you have a problem and the second step is seeking professional help.

God bless you brother. if you think you have a problem do something about it as soon as possible. I just buried my daughter from addiction. Nothing worse in life than that. It wil jump up and bit you before you know it. Get help now,!

Brokeneck,you sure have invoked a lot of response. Just shows you how many people have had to deal with an addiction in one way or another,, including myself.

The pain is one thing, the uforia opioids offer is another. Both are hard to deal with.

You have made the first and best step, realizing there is a problem and openly admitting it.

Keep your head up, and dig deep for the strength you will need to beat this.

God bless you going forward,,6 years later.

Last edited:
Once hooked...it will get worse and worse....body needing more and stronger meds. Get professional help...not from a pain manager. They only prescribe more meds. Had a bro in law pass from prescription meds. Get help and find a different way to deal with the pain.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom