Has anyone started scouting?

Chukar chaser

First off,
Hello! I am new to this forum. I live in central CA. Have lived here all my life.
I hunt a variety of animals but mule deer are my favorite big game challenge.
I also am an avid upland hunter. I love working with our dogs and chukar are kind of an obsession of mine. I am a 3rd generation chukar hunter.

I was wondering if anyone has been out hiking around yet?
I know it's early and there is still a good amount of snow in the high country. I'm probably too early with this question but I am really curious what this crazy winter did to the deer herds. I will be in X12 this season. I have some good experience in this zone so not trying to be the newbie who only shows up to get free info. I'm just thinking that the deer patterns may be off or different this year.
Anyways, nice to meet you all and I'm interested in your opinions on what this year may look like.

YOU FOUND A GOOD HUNTING SOURCE FOR THE FUTURE. A FEW GOOD GUYS ON THE MM SITE WILLING TO HELP. WHAT AREA IN CENTRAL CALI ARE YOU FROM ???? I LIVE IN CLOVIS, IF YOU GET GOOD INFO FROM THESE FELLAS IN THE FUTURE......TRY TO SHARE YOUR HUNT WITH US.................KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY !!!!................GOOD LUCK................YD.

I have some A zone bucks patterned!
F96F8A7B-00B1-4962-B015-DE0E65B2D34B.jpeg

I missed a really good deer in X12 when I was 19 or so.....got buck fever soooo bad. Burning my points this year so hopefully can get back to X12 for some revenge in the next 3-5 years.

Good to meet you....I'm in Orcutt, Ca.

Thanks for the friendly welcome everyone. Yard deer frustrate me to no end. We spend time up in Pine Mountain Lake every year. The yard deer have no worries except who's flowers and bushes they are going to attack that day.

X12 has a bad rap lately. It still holds some great deer. I put in for it because I know it well. This season should be interesting for everyone. I have no idea what this crazy weather is going to make these deer do.

First off welcome and congrats on the tag!

From the deer I have seen the winter moisture did wonders. Even in areas that have water regularly due to agriculture , rain is a different thing. It’s nutrients and let’s everything grow.

Deer started the horn growing season healthy so all the extra food / water go to the horns.

Looking forward to it.

Here’s on little guy that may want to learn hide and go seek come sept.

5B8DEF82-A304-4143-9996-F677D1A60611.png

Was in x12 last week saw quite a few Deer, one group of 5 bucks nothing big but they look to be in good shape, just have that nasty coat this time of year, but did see pretty good numbers. I doubt they will be going as high as years past, X12 always has some good bucks in it. Good luck

The problem with scouting is that everywhere I see deer and deer sign now, is not where the deer are come hunting season. My neighbor has cams up and has seen deer in the off season, but they are not there come October.

Seen two forken horns yesterday across from where I was archery target practice ith a friend. Will they be there two months from now?

Seen two forken horns yesterday across from where I was archery target practice ith a friend. Will they be there two months from now?
I'd thay the forken hornth will be cloth to where you thaw them in two months. No douth about itth! Good luth this year!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom