Has anyone used....

B

bigoltom

I am trying to find a spotting scope on a newly married man's budget, I don't know what I am going to get yet. I have been looking around quite a bit and was curious if anyone has ever used the red head spotters from bass pro shop, or if anyone has used the winchester models. Let me know what you think of them. Thanks for the info.

I know and understand what pursuing my favorite hobbie on a limited budget is. I also hate to buy something, only to buy a better product 3 or 4 years later when I can "afford" it.

My advice to you is save your money until you can buy the one you want and then never have to buy another.

I have looked through the Nikon HD 80mm, the Zeiss 85mm, as well as the Swarovski and the Leica. I must say the Nikon and Zeiss where very comparable to the Swaro or the Leica.

I am a finatic when it comes to optics. After using less than the best and later having the opportunity to use the best in the field, I can't stad using crappy optics.

If your main goal is inexpensive optics, the go buy some at Walmart for 49.99.

I'm not trying to be rude, it is just that when it comes to optics, you truely get what you pay for.

Good luck and best wishes. In the long run you will be happier to have saved and bought once.

I agree, and I have recently purchased a Nikon spotting scope. The glass is clear edge to edge and very comparable to my Ziess binos, but more lightweight and only $450. The best glass in the world is usually German, with the Japanese a close second.
Don't cut corners on the glass, if you can't see em you can't hunt em...

The Nikon spotters aren't bad for the money. I have the Realtree model which has worked well for the past two years.

However, all the above posts are on the money. I bought a pair of Swarovski SLC's which just crush my old Steiners. I am saving again for a new spotter.

The old binocs and spotters can always become your back-ups or you sell them on ebay.

Ed

Thanks for the info guys. I figured you get what you pay for, I guess I was just trying to cut a couple corners and save a few dollars. Might aswell bite the bullet and keep saving.

On a small budget the best you can do is the Nikon XL II. You will not find a better quality optic. Don't settle for less than an optic that is "fully multi coated".

There is a big difference between "coated, fully coated, multi coated, and fully multi coated."

Save money, but pay enough that you don't end up wanting to replave it after your first trip out.

AA

"One nation uder God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Deerlove, Yes Nikon does have a high-end model (Fieldscope)that has the ED lense that is comparable to Swaro, costs about as much too! They also have the LX Venturer bino's that are comparable to the top three as well.

I too have this Nikon XL II 16-48 x 60 spotting scope and it is every bit as clear as the expensive Swarovs. There are some good deals out there if you look.
But, as has been already said don't buy any that are not fully multicoated, clear edge to edge, waterproof and have a good warranty.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom