Haw many years before I draw 201 for elk?

G

GrizlyHunter

Okay...I have 15 points after the 2007 drawing. How many more years do you anticipate it'll be before I could actually be considered for a early season elk hunt in 201? How many years before I would be drawn for sure?

I'm 48 and I'm wondering if I'll draw before or after I'm dead. ;-)

Thanx!

GrizlyHunter

Probably not!

I used to play the preference point game,but the points needed to draw a good unit keep climbing ,so I just pick an easy to draw area and go every year.
Maybe if you were 16 you might draw once in your life.

I also have 15 points. After some number crunching, I came up with 805 NR with more points than us after the 06 drawing and 729 after the 07 drawing. So, you do the math, its not looking good.

Ken M.

Just a guess but I would say 22 years for you to have a chance as a non resident.I've got 16 points and it would take 13 years for me.There are only 4 non resident bull tags so good luck.

Griz, I've got 13 NR PPs and I'm 48 too. Opting out for a good archery hunt this year. Have been trying to draw 1st rifle in a good unit the last 2 years but the point creep has been 2 points a year since they went to a 80/20 split. Maybe some guys ahead of you will opt out too, or just die. I'd stick it out if I had 15. Good Luck!!!!

"or just die"

I laughed out loud at work at that one!

I feel the same way, at draw like that, and WY sheep, more guys drop out then draw so do not discount the drop outs, but I try to sugar coat is a little more! Funny.

Again I feel the same way you just put it bluntly.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-08 AT 05:30PM (MST)[p]Here is the 2007 draw summary recap for hunt code EE201E1R:

19 tags available - 16 residents and 3 non-residents were able to draw the tag.

520 non-res applied for the tag for their 1?st choice.
720 residents applied for the tag for their 1?st choice.

Non-res:
One applicant with 19 points applied and drew the tag
Eight applicants with 18 points applied ? only two drew the tag

Residents:
Two applicants with 19 points applied and drew the tag
Five applicants with 18 points applied and drew the tag
15 applicants with 17 points applied ? nine drew the tag

.....The only good news is there was a 100% sucess rate last year.

Good luck!

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

There were 19 general tags and 3 landowner tags. Could be that is the difference. But is doesn't look like there coulc be 19 and 4.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>I also have 15 points. After
>some number crunching, I came
>up with 805 NR with
>more points than us after
>the 06 drawing and 729
>after the 07 drawing. So,
>you do the math, its
>not looking good.
>
>Ken M.

So in 07 we lost 76 guys ahead of us...not too bad. So about ten more years, assuming the same rate of attrition (sp?), would mean I could be at max points after ten more years. But then it could take as little as one year, or as many as another 10 years to draw.

I'm not wishing any of you guys/gals who're ahead of me in points die or anything like that...but...you might want to consider using your points soon (if you're around my age). ;-)

Seriously though, good luck to all in the draws and good health too.

Thanx to all for your input. Now I need to go find me a beer to cry in (for at least ten years).

GrizlyHunter

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-08 AT 09:02PM (MST)[p]According to my newest Colorado Outdoors Big Game CD, there were 3 tags drawn by people in the Priority Landowner Program.

Nine landowners applied and only three got tags. Four applicants had four points and only three got the tag. I'm not sure how landowners acquire points - maybe the same as us non-landowning pukes do?

*Here's the best part - according to the CD, 21 hunters harvested 21 bulls. That means one poor bastard didn't use his tag!

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

GrizlyHunter I feel your pain as it's also mine - 15 non-res points. Well, I guess I can take my boys with me in 10 years.

I think I like my chances of killing a bull of a lifetime in 20 years of hunting rather than hunting once in 20 years. :)

I hunt every year and kill a bull 4 out of 5 years. Wait 20 years for one bull? No way in Hell. I don't care how big it is.

I agree with hunting every year and I'd bet big $$$ that most of the NRs that have 15 PP or more hunt elk almost every year somewhere.

It was addictive to me. Started out to get 2, muzzy. 5 points back in 94. Just kept playing til this year. No Mas!

CO is the only state that has big game and elk isn't the only big game out there. I have hunted in CO for elk twice, NM for elk twice, WY for mountain goat, AK for caribou and CAN for bear while building my points. It's not like I'm sitting home waiting for a hunt 20 years from now.

But when I started it only took about 7 points.

Well lets see....I've taken four elk in Colorado on second choice and one in Arizona and one in New Mexico and I have a Wyoming unit 100 tag in hand for this year and there's been a few years I didn't get a elk out of state.You mix in the Mt.Goats,Moose,Caribou,Black bear,Antelope,deer and hogs and it dosen't seem like I'm missing out on any thing.And yes I will have 17 points for Colorado Elk after this year.I may burn my points next year in Colorado in unit 61 blackpowder if I can talk Beanman into giving me some info....Devlin

Not knockin yah, I have a pile of points too......Hopefully the "experience" is worth the wait. That is, the experience of hunting in some awesome country with little pressure and a chance a big one. After all, that's what the wait is for, not just a set of horns. You can buy those on ebay....It's too bad that Colorado's system creates the situation we see with a few of the more popular units, where the points just keep climbing. Somethings got to give IMO.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom