Head thefts, trophy thefts, are they game violations? Should they be?

elks96

Long Time Member
We had a head stole this year... The bull in Billings was stolen at the hotel, a head stolen off the mountain for a mule deer, the lander bull recently stole from Kifaru, and I am certain the list could go on forever...

Does anyone know if the theft of the antlers, meat etc. would violate a wildlife crime in any states? Should states look at adding it as wildlife crime? Something that would count against your hunting privileges?

When our head was stolen, the best the officers could offer was a low level theft... But I wonder if having it count as a wildlife crime as well would not be more of deterrent?

I know a better deterrent would be catching the sob on the spot and using a little old school justice... But what do you think, does anyone know if there is a state where such an action is a wildlife crime? Would it help? Ultimately poaching is a form of theft...

"Does anyone know if the theft of the antlers, meat etc. would violate a wildlife crime in any states? Should states look at adding it as wildlife crime? Something that would count against your hunting privileges?"

Yes, possessing these antlers, or any of the meat, without proper documentation, would be a game violation in Arizona!
In Arizona, it is unlawful to possess any part of wildlife without "Proof of lawful take".
Some examples would be;
1)Technically, we cannot pick up a "deadhead" without authorization from the AZGF.
2) We cannot haul your antlers home from huntin camp for you without authorization from the AZGF. (The tag attached)
3) We cannot haul some, or all, of the meat home from huntin camp without authorization from the AZGF. (The tag or Shipping Permit, properly filled out & signed by the tag holder)
4) We are supposed to tag the animal immediately after the kill. Not when we get it to the truck, or back to camp, but immediately after the kill!
I am sure there are many, more examples, and I am almost certain most other western states have similar laws.
I know Colorado does!

Elkchaser

Last edited:
In AZ you most certainly can pick up deadheads without azgfd approval. Just comes down to whether it is "fresh" or not. Can look up the definition of fresh and decide for yourself what's fresh.

As for being a wildlife crime I think it would be a stretch. They could certainly change laws to make it that way but currently (even in az) none of that would be a wildlife crime of illegal possession. As dumb as it sounds the animal was killed legally and therefore can't be possessed illegally whether or not it's stolen. Other than of course being possed illegally under theft statutes but no wildlife statutes.

Imagine if we included selling sheds in the Lacey act. Would probably stop this crap dead, would stop harassment of wildlife in late winter, and best of all, would end a few chitty YouTube channels
About the dumbest thing I've heard in a while to make selling sheds illegal. Let's just make it illegal to go in the woods at all and that would solve the problem too.

About the dumbest thing I've heard in a while to make selling sheds illegal. Let's just make it illegal to go in the woods at all and that would solve the problem too.

You can't go in the woods without a profit margin?

Says more about your motivations than anything.

I keep hearing shed hunters claim they do it for exercise and love of horns. Nothing to stop that, just gets rid of commercialization.

Some of us are old enough to remember when shed hunting wasn't "a thing".

Then a commercial market opened, and suddenly it became one, as did stealing out of barns, sheds, houses, etc.

It's almost as if commercialization of wildlife creates issues.

Last edited:
You can't go in the woods without a profit margin?

Says more about your motivations than anything.

I keep hearing shed hunters claim they do it for exercise and love of horns. Nothing to stop that, just gets rid of commercialization.

Some of us are old enough to remember when shed hunting wasn't "a thing".

Then a commercial market opened, and suddenly it became one, as did stealing out of barns, sheds, houses, etc.

It's almost as if commercialization of wildlife creates issues.
Do you really think people would stop shed hunting if they were worth zero dollars? You wouldn’t even notice a drop in people doing it. Fact:

We had a head stole this year... The bull in Billings was stolen at the hotel, a head stolen off the mountain for a mule deer, the lander bull recently stole from Kifaru, and I am certain the list could go on forever...

Does anyone know if the theft of the antlers, meat etc. would violate a wildlife crime in any states? Should states look at adding it as wildlife crime? Something that would count against your hunting privileges?

When our head was stolen, the best the officers could offer was a low level theft... But I wonder if having it count as a wildlife crime as well would not be more of deterrent?

I know a better deterrent would be catching the sob on the spot and using a little old school justice... But what do you think, does anyone know if there is a state where such an action is a wildlife crime? Would it help? Ultimately poaching is a form of theft...
Once you kill them and are in possession of them they become personal property. No need to make new laws etc about it. Plenty of existing laws regarding personal property as it is…

Antler theft isn’t on the uptick either. Just because a couple social media guys have antlers stolen everyone’s panties are in a wad.

I had a whole antler collection stolen a few years back. I didn’t cry on social media about it probably cuz it’s just antlers. **** happens. I hope they fry them back but it’s not likely.

If they made selling sheds illegal I would probably hit it harder. I much prefer selling stuff on the black market instead of legally. Way higher profit margin.

Anyone looking for some elephant tusks? I know a guy…

Once legally taken and tagged, it becomes your personal property. I would much rather establish a monetary value ( similar to F&G fines for trophies), then go after the dirtbags for burglary/theft/grand larceny of private property, and go after them with the full extent of the criminal justice system - instead of a measly F&G fine!!!

There is already monetary value in the antlers/horns. Literally nothing needs to be changed except catching the people doing it.

Anyone want to pay more in taxes so we can get more active law enforcement? yeah me either.

Antlers just take up space. Anytime they get stolen its actually a relief in the end and keeps the wife happy.

wait a min....

If they made selling sheds illegal I would probably hit it harder. I much prefer selling stuff on the black market instead of legally. Way higher profit margin.

Anyone looking for some elephant tusks? I know a guy…

Well HELL!

I Know The Guy Sellin!

I'll take Em!

And We'll Keep This Deal Discrete Right Here on MM!

Had a bunch of horns for sale on Facebook local in S.Ca. Got a call from a Guy in ST George claim he just wanted them for his dog chew toy wanted to buy they off the wood base. When I asked which horn buyer he was, He hung up.

Do you really think people would stop shed hunting if they were worth zero dollars? You wouldn’t even notice a drop in people doing it. Fact:

Yes.

Proven by how rare shed hunters were decades ago.

Dudes might pick up a horn while hunting, but few, actually "hunted" them.

How many boomers do you know that devoted time to hunt sheds?

Hoss I believe U are batting a 100 right there.

Always amazed guys in our sphere, see the problem, but act stupid.

Of course selling sheds is the driving force.

Just like selling buffalo meat lead to their demise.

The boomers threw horns away.

Yes.

Proven by how rare shed hunters were decades ago.

Dudes might pick up a horn while hunting, but few, actually "hunted" them.

How many boomers do you know that devoted time to hunt sheds?
Hahaha. There’s millions more people in the US since there was decades ago. Increases in just hikers, fishermen the list goes on and on.

It doesn’t matter that they are worth anything. Shed hunting was bound to get popular and even when prices dropped 25 years ago the popularity didn’t wane…

Had a bunch of horns for sale on Facebook local in S.Ca. Got a call from a Guy in ST George claim he just wanted them for his dog chew toy wanted to buy they off the wood base. When I asked which horn buyer he was, He hung up.
This story makes zero sense.

Just u aren't smart enough to see that horn buyer was trying to get all my horns cheap by saying he wanted them for chew toys for his dogs. And that he only wanted the horns and not the wood they was attach to.
But then most things do slide right by You.

Just u aren't smart enough to see that horn buyer was trying to get all my horns cheap by saying he wanted them for chew toys for his dogs. And that he only wanted the horns and not the wood they was attach to.
But then most things do slide right by You.
It’s a BS story. Antler buyer cruising a CA local Facebook group? Yeah right. So he can buy a bunch of fork horns????

At least put some flare in it next time.

Who needs cut up antlers? I am sitting on a goldmine of sticks and branches in my backyard. My lab loves chewing them. Any buyers?

Remember when beaver pelt hats wiped out beavers? Buffalo meat wiped out Buffalo? Feather hats decimated bird populations?

But somehow antler markets don't have any effect?

Come on man!!

A bunch of alphas wandering around bumping deer continuously when they are at their most depleted and vulnerable produces nothing but harm for the animal. Especially with dogs. There isn't an upside to shed hunting. It doesn't help the herd, doesn't help the land. It does help ear tuck and the janitor, plus oriental voodoo doctors, but our herds get only negatively effected.

Anyways...getting back to stolen animals/heads. These guys should be shot and then hung. Maybe on the meat pole. These guys are the lowest of the low. Just my thoughts...

It’s a BS story. Antler buyer cruising a CA local Facebook group? Yeah right. So he can buy a bunch of fork horns????

At least put some flare in it next time.
So yours eyes are still Brown. I still think you are full $hit . I'm guess are one of those keyboard warriors. I bet you are one of those guys who is all Hat and no Cows.
I do think you have some sex issues still and you should look into that.

If you Guys Out-Lawed Shed Hunting You'd Put a Major Hurt On Several Manufacturers!

The Camo & FLATTIES Alone Would Take a Hit!

The Wheelers & Side X Sides!

They Had A Big Pile Of Sheds Out At The EXPO One Year!

I Was Looking At Them & A Guy At The Booth Asks Me What Do You Think?

So I Told Him!

I Said:

You Know what I'd Rather Have Than That Pile Of Sheds?

He's Seriously Thinking?

Then Finally Says:What?

I Said:The Money That Was Spent On Fuel Alone To Find Them!

PISSED Him Right Off!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom