heading to wyoming unit 72 for antelope

rifleman

my dad and i will be heading up in a couple of weeks for his first western big game hunt. we plan on hunting state, blm and the walkins. anyone have any experience with the area? not expecting to go shoot a booner, but i am hoping to see plenty and with a little work maybe get a decent buck. any advice would be appreciated.

Stick to Rd. 210 the Poison Spider Rd as it pretty much travels in the middle of BLM, should see plenty of Lopes there.
Get a good BLM Map in Casper and use it well.

Good luck.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I hunted it 2 years ago.We hunted south of Powder River in the Rattlesnake Hills area.Plenty of good antelope and rattlers!

i love the plenty of good antelope part, but not the snakes. i'd rather have a 30lb bobcat located in the cab of the truck with me than deal with a snake. hope them snakes stand out. don't really want to get bit.

>my dad and i will be
>heading up in a couple
>of weeks for his first
>western big game hunt. we
>plan on hunting state, blm
>and the walkins. anyone have
>any experience with the area?
>not expecting to go shoot
>a booner, but i am
>hoping to see plenty and
>with a little work maybe
>get a decent buck. any
>advice would be appreciated.

Been all over that area the last few days. Not as many goats as in years past but still enough to make the hunt fun....enjoy.

We are in 70, still there actually, took our last one today. Hunted near here last year and saw many more goats. Still enough to make it interesting but not like last year at all. Processor in town said its been slow so far too. Did see a 380" bull that came out of the Shirleys though...Pressure is picking up since the weekend started but its not that bad.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-11 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]i hope we can find 4 good antelope bucks in all that area of 72. it will be 3 of our parties first antelope hunt.

Don't be afraid to get out and walk. In pressured areas, goats will start to thin out near the roads. Have a good map and locate some out of the way water sources. Grab your pack and all your gear and go for a walk. It only takes one little hill to hold an entire heard of antelope! Lots of guys will drive right by all day long. A quartered antelope is no trouble to pack.

The rattle sankes are the name of th moutains! but there are a few but getting cold enought they are lokking for dens...

Heading that way the end of the week. I also hope the snakes are getting sleepy and stay under the rocks were they belong.
Never been to the unit so we are going some what blind. Got maps and info from brother in law who hunted it last year at tail end of season. They got 3 decent bucks and said they only saw 1 other hunter.
Hopefully we can find 2 decent bucks and a couple does. Looking to try out a new rifle. Should be fun.

Hunted 72 last weekend. saw less than 1/2 the antelope I saw 2 years ago. Others in the same general area (SW corner) had similiar observations. Did not see any fawns, 0, but small sample size of only 50 does or so and only in a small area. Hope rest of the unit fairs better.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

My first Wyoming antelope hunt had great time and will be coming back.
You shouldn't have trouble finding 4 bucks to kill. Never been to the area before this year but saw a lot of antelope. Looked at more than 200 bucks and killed a 14 incher saw one other that was about the same size. Most bucks were in the 10 to 12 inch range.
They have been pushed off the main roads but are still in the unit. Take a good set of binos and spotting scope and head out walking.
Almost forgot one detail. Killed 2 rattlers and saw a lot more dead on the road. Wyoming rattlers are way bigger than Idaho rattlers. I think I saw a booner on the road dead.

got back early this morning. we all connected on nice bucks and some does. got my second best ever, nice buck with 14" horns and good prongs. thanks for the info and advice.

Post up some pics!! Congrats on filling the tags.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Looks like he has his belly full or else he is one BIG SOB rattler. You didn't get very close, how come? j/k
Was he alone out there or others around too?

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-11 AT 07:22AM (MST)[p]he scored 71 on the money. not bad i guess for 3 weeks into the season.
838dscf3203.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom