Helmcken Falls British Columbia

BCBOY

Long Time Member
Here's some pictures of Helmcken Falls, located in Wells Gray Provincial Park in British Columbia. This is my "back yard". They are only 40 minutes from my house.

HelmckenFallswinter2.jpg

HelmckenFallsWinter1.jpg

Great Pics BCBOY! I think I'm gonna have to head down there one of these days and photograph those falls! Are there any other large falls near this one?
Thanks
Chris
fcc65322.gif

Willy,
Wells Gray is the land of waterfalls. I believe there are over a dozen that are worthy of seeing. Spahats Falls is the first major falls you come to on the Park road. For a first time viewer, it is very impressive. But when you you see Helmcken for the first time, you are blown away. These pictures were taken several years ago. During the winter months, if it is cold, the snow cone at the bottom can get really impressive. This year, there is barely anything for a cone. I can't tell you what the best season to see them is. All four seasons are equally awesome. The Spring, during runoff, has an incredible amount of water and force. The summer, the greenery is out and the fall is in bright colors. On cold winters, the snow cone is unreal.

The Wells Gray area is really beocoming an ice climbing destination. I've never heard of guys climbing the cone of Helmcken though. Several years ago, an extreme skier rappeled out of a helicopter to the cone and skied down it. A film crew filmed the stunt and was to be in a James Bond movie. I've not seen it appear in one yet. Maybe it was left on the cutting room floor, or maybe they wil still yet use it in a future movie.
BTW, Helmcken Falls is on the Murtle River, which flows out of Murtle Lake. It plunges 142 metres making it the 4th highest falls in Canada. In an average winter the snow cone is 60 metres tall. In real cold winters it can get as high as 90 metres. For those used to the Imperial system, there are approx 3 feet in every metre.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom