HELP? Best rifle for about $1k

UtahMountainMan

Hey guys - I bought a Weatherby Vanguard new back in 2004, so obviously it is the older/cheaper model of Vanguard. It was about $375 at the time. I have it chambered in .30 06.

It has been a good rifle but I just upgraded my scope last year and I am looking to upgrade the rifle now.

Here is what I am looking for:

-I will be using it mostly for deer, some for elk
-I would like to get something that is low recoil and fast, my .30 06 kicks like the dickens probably because it has a cheap stock, it also has a heavy trigger
-I would like to get a rifle that could shoot accurately out to 500 yards, assuming I put in the practice and have a scope equal to the task. I dont want to shoot 1000 yards at animals, thats not my thing. Also I want to be able to shoot to 500 in practice while not planning on shooting past 350 at an animal.

I currently am only comfortable out to about 250 to 300 yards TOPS. I have never shot at an animal past 220. I did drop that buck in its tracks though.

I am leaning more towards a .270, thinking that is is great for deer, good enough for elk, shoots fast and flat, and is lower recoil than my .30 06.

What would be the best rifle in the $1k price range for me?

Thanks guys

"You sure you know how to skin grizz,
pilgrim?"

Its very hard to both recommend a rifle that fits and will be comfortable for someone else, and, get a non bias recommendation from another person that is different from what that individual has and hunts with!

That said, a 280 Remington might be the cartridge that you could be satisfied with. It does all a 270 can and handles the bigger bullets, for bigger game, a little better. I think you will find the 140-150 grain loads a good everyday loading.

As far as which rifle, i like Rem, Win, Browning, and if you like light but nice, you might be able to find a Kimber at that price.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I think it really comes down to what type of features you are looking for. Controlled or push feed, safety styles, internal/detachable mag, weight etc. Lots of good rifles out there.

Out of the guns I have handled or shot (Browning, Remington, Ruger, Winchester)I would say I have been more fond of the Browning X-bolt. I like the usability of the tang safety, having the detachable mag, and the side release on an action that I think feels very nice.

That being said I have had the desire to try either a Kimber Montana or Winchester Extreme Weather lately.

A 270 win or 280 rem will fit the bill nicely. I shoot a .270 and thuroughly enjoy it. I've killed deer, elk, and antelope with it. If you shoot factory ammo get a .270 you'll have more selection. You are really splitting hairs when comparing the two. Any elk or deer you shoot with either won't be able to tell you the difference.

As per Hodgdon reloading data center,

.270 will shoot a 150 gr. bullet 2797fps

.280 will shoot a 150 gr. bullet 2850fps

.30-06 will shoot a 150 gr. bullet 3000ish fps.

I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade to a different rifle as I don't like Vanguards either. For me, I like claw extractors or CRF actions so I usually end up with a Ruger. Remingtons however on average will take less work to get to shoot then the Rugers do. Guns are like trucks and the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate. Which one is really better is an oppinion.

If it were me, I would spend the money and upgrade the vangaurd like stated above with a new stock, glass bedding job and a Rifle basix trigger. Maybe even have a muzzlebreak installed if recoil is still an issue. But, thats far more boring then getting to play with a brand new rifle.

In the real world of compairing the above cartidges and thinking a mortal human could shoot one better then the other out to 500 yards is pretty silly. My advice would be to stick with the .30-06 so you have a very broad range of loadings to choose from. The .280 is just as versitile but finding .280 ammo can be very hard. The .270 is a great round as well though.

If you are dead set on a new gun I would HIGHLY recommend a Winchester Mod. 70 classic.

Good luck,

Todd

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-12 AT 08:50AM (MST)[p]It sounds to me like you are ready to upgrade to a bit higher end gun and the 270 is a great caliber. Do a little research into some of the higher end custom guns and you'll soon find the majority are based on remington actions. Remingtons are easy to work on, have a pretty good adjustable trigger (tear the trigger down and put a dremel polishing wheel to it and the trigger gets even better), plenty of after market parts, upgrades are affordable, and plain and simple they are down right accurate guns. The ADL and BDL are in your price range and you'd still have some cash left over to upgrade the stock or drop in a timney trigger if desired. Check out and compare a few remingtons at gunbroker, Stockys stocks for a rifle stock, and Midway USA for a trigger or other gunpart upgrades. In the end if you can't aford the upgrades today you can easily and economically upgrade at a later date. While still ending up with a great shooting factory gun just by adding a little elbow grease, time, and mechanical aptitude. Wallah you have a personalized custom gun that you did. Good luck and have fun!

P.S. If you are not comfortable adjusting or working the factory remington trigger the contact a qualified gunsmith for assistance as improper adjustment could be hazardous if done incorrectly.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Using Justr's 150 grain example, i looked up the numbers that are available for Remington Express, Green box ammo, most available.

270 Win 150 gr BC .261... Foot pounds Energy @ 500 yds 639
280 Rem 150 gr BC .346... Foot pounds Energy @ 500 yds 968
3006 Sp 150 gr BC .314... Foot pounds Energy @ 500 yds 876

The 280 Rem. truly is a happy medium but as said, they will all kill.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Using Justr's 150 grain example, i
>looked up the numbers that
>are available for Remington Express,
>Green box ammo, most available.
>
>
>270 Win 150 gr BC .261...
>Foot pounds Energy @ 500
>yds 639
>280 Rem 150 gr BC .346...
>yds 968
>3006 Sp 150 gr BC .314...
>yds 876
>
>The 280 Rem. truly is a
>happy medium but as said,
>they will all kill.
>
>Joey
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

That .270 bullet in your ballistics must be a round nose. Typically a 150 gr spitzer in .270 would have a higher BC and SD than a 150 gr spitzer in 7mm. In the real world, there is no difference between a .277 and a .284 bullet in the same weight...
2a0fcsk.gif

Yeah Tony, you are correct. The 150gr grain in Remington factory 270 Winny is only available in the round nose bullet... but that is what way too many guys out there are hunting Elk with thinking that they are something special.

My first Comment above was about the well constructed factory and handloadable .280 160's available being the little better choice for bigger animals. If you don't agree with that, fine with me.

I've hunted with all the cartridges mentioned and still own guns chambered in most. I have even had a recent thread go into pretty good debate over the good qualities of the 270 caliber bullets becoming available, as a great equalizer between the calibers. I like the 270 Winny. I just believe, my opinion, that the 280 Rem is the better choice for a modest all around cartridge than the 270 Win. and the OP is asking for opinions on the "best".

Joey

Hey Sage............why be such a buzzkill dooshbag all of your life? Most of the uTards on here can't even figure out what box of shells to buy, for their new rifle. That they haven't shot yet... cause it came with a bushnell already boresighted!!!!

For around 1K you could buy a nice slightly used custom barreled rifle if you look around a bit. I think a 270win would be a great choice if you want low recoil.

Another option is restock the vanguard with a nice stock that fits you and with a good recoil pad like a limbsaver or decelerator. Also have a gunsmith respring and stone your trigger or buy a timney.

Guys, this has been great feedback! Let's assume i decide to restock it, what is a good stock to purchase? Can I just go buy one at cabelas or is there a specific brand I could order online that you guys would recommend?

I will start researching that option.

And I am looking into the various calibers and rifles discussed above.

"You sure you know how to skin grizz,
pilgrim?"

doggbiter, speaking of buzzkill dooshbag, you seem to have a problem with one that has the experience to offer decent advice. The man asked a question, there are dozens of good answers but i can in no way see how your lame comments helped.

Your "Utard" comment, i'm not going there... Have a good one!! :)

Joey

>Guys, this has been great feedback!
>Let's assume i decide to
>restock it, what is a
>good stock to purchase? Can
>I just go buy one
>at cabelas or is there
>a specific brand I could
>order online that you guys
>would recommend?
>
>I will start researching that option.
>
>
>And I am looking into the
>various calibers and rifles discussed
>above.
>
>"You sure you know how to
>skin grizz,
>pilgrim?"

My advice is to find a reputable gunsmith. Check with a few and get references. When you find one he might have preferences of companies and products he likes to work with. Mcmillan ins good one. Have fun!

Dogbiter you are way outta line. I don't always agree with Sage, but I always enjoy the exchange. Grow up.

If you're going to re-stock the rifle with a good stock and not break the bank I would suggest getting a B&C from stockysstock online. I've got one for my Remington and really like it. McMillan's are really nice. I just got one for a custom I'm doing but they are pricey and the wait is quite a while for them.

Joey, doglicker is just trying to pick a fight. He don't know who he's messing with. He will probably go back under the porch anyway. mtmuley

>Guys, this has been great feedback!
>Let's assume i decide to
>restock it, what is a
>good stock to purchase? Can
>I just go buy one
>at cabelas or is there
>a specific brand I could
>order online that you guys
>would recommend?
>
>I will start researching that option.
>
>
>And I am looking into the
>various calibers and rifles discussed
>above.
>
>"You sure you know how to
>skin grizz,
>pilgrim?"
Drop a Timney in it and put it on a Hogue full bed stock. I got my stock at the factory,but Cabellas did have them. Very slight kick now. Mines not a Vangaurd but a Rem.700 30-06.

I see Sage has the same effect on others.

For the $1000 range I'd get a Kimber Montana in 270 or 7mm Rem mag and forget it.

Stay thirsty my friends

There you go 440! You and Doglicker make a good team!

Joey

An option I have had good luck with is a Model 700 CDL. You can buy the rifle and have a good smith free float, install pillars and bed the recoil lug for about one hunting unit ("HU").
My experience with this combination is consistent sub-MOA and consistent point of impact.

Plain old 270 Winchester would work fine. Load it with 140 or 150 Partitions. Why fix something that's not broke?

Arroyo

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-12 AT 10:24PM (MST)[p]You can sell your vanguard for about 300 give or take and spend the 1300 on any number of new guns and an ok scope.

If you went with a savage, you could have a very nice scope. If you bought a new win mod 70 all weather as mentioned above you would have not so much for a scope.

If I were you, I'd go with the medalist mentioned above and rebarrel to what ever round you want. Because of your recoil issue, I would look at 25-06, .270, or even that 6.5-284 round that everyone talks about or the 280 as mentioned. I have 280, 30-06, 300 wsm. 280 is a pleasure to shoot for me.

When you have a gunsmith put on the new barrel, have him bed the action and you'll will probably have a rifle better than what you would have paid the grand for a new one. If your budget can aford it, go with McMillan stock but it would I think take you over the mentioned budget.
I have a vanguard in 7 mm rem mag. It has little weight and has some significant barrel wip when you shoot it. This is why I mention the 25-06 and the 6.5-284 as they are low on the recoil.
You can load the 30-06 and the 270 and the 280 for low recoil also. I think the modern bullets are bringing all of those into a similar performance level. When you restock, you should get better recoil (lower felt recoil).

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-12 AT 06:08AM (MST)[p]UtahMountainMan,
There's a nice Rem Mod 700 270win in the classifieds. I'd be all over that if I were you.

Edit:
posted by GLEDEASY

Based on the original parameter asked for here I would rank calibers:

1. 280AI (less practical, but the best match)

2. 280 (more practical, but not most practical)

3. 270 (most practical, but not a .284)

Guns under $1k that will shoot out of the box:

1. Tikka T3 Stainless Synthetic.

2. Savage

3. Browning

I find that winchesters and remingtons are not as accurate or smooth out of the box, particularly for the money. At least the remingtons are the best to customize later. Weatherby(howa)Vanguards are good, but you asked for something different.

So given this, I would buy one of the easily found Tikka T3's in .270, buy a box of 140accubonds that shoot about 3000fps and go shoot.

id get a new weatherby vanguard s2, factory guaranteed to shoot 1'' or better, get it in 7mm-08, and you will still have enough left over to get a mcmillin stock put on it

These kinds of threads are fun! If it were me, I would buy a Winchester model 70 Featherweight, slap a 2.5-8x Leupold on it and go hunting, Heck, if they ever start making those with the bolt handle on the correct (left) side, I will go get one myself and use it much the way you plan to use yours.

Have fun getting a new rifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom