Help Burro's Mule Deer

LCHC

Hello NM MM folks. I don't ask for much help on here but try and invest my own time scouting. Here's the deal. My cousin drew Burro's 2nd rifle mule deer tag so I said I would help him out. I have been in the area 3 different times scouting and really haven't seen much on mule deer. Seen quite a few coues deer doe's no bucks in several areas but just can't seem to find many mule deer. After looking at the NM regs they list the Burro's as a Quality hunt with only 25 tags.

Here's my questions.
1. Is the Burro's no different than any other Typ. Mule Deer Unit in NM? Meaning not very many mule deer and that quality is no different than the typ. NM Unit?

2. If there is not many deer and not very good deer "Why does game and fish list it as a quality Unit with only 25 tags on this hunt?

3. Anyone have any other scouting reports or maybe be willing to share areas to look over.

Any help would be great. Thanks NM MM folks.

It used to be a lot better than it is now. It has really gone downhill in the last few years. Not to say you can't take a good deer out of there, but it just isn't the same. From observation and talking to local ranchers it seems the cats have had a big impact on the mule deer. I used to see 20 bucks a day during the Jan. bow hunt. Now we only see 3 or 4.

If it was January I could help you out, but this time of year it is an entirely different situation. If I were you I would look for some really steep stuff, and I mean STEEP, on the south end of the unit (hint, hint).

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom