Help me find a pistol

CouesFanatic

I want to get my first pistol ever for carrying while out hunting/plinking around/personal protection. I would like a bigger caliber for protection while hunting. (I think) A 9mm is too small right? I would like my wife to be able to shoot it. We have a lot of yotes, wolves and lions here. Grizzly's too but I've never seen one. I think i'm more concerned with weight than power. I'd like to keep it under 500 bucks if possible. I'm a big newbie with this stuff. Thanks

Auto or wheelgun?

horsepoop.gif

If you feel that the 9mm may be to small of a caliber for a "all around pistol" that leaves you with 40 S&W, 357 Sig, 45 ACP as your choice in a auto. Since your wife may be shooting it, I would opt for the 40 S&W caliber. Reasonable power rating, ammo easy to get and you can get standard loads for practice and up to hot +P for serious work.
Recoil is only slightly more then the 9mm with standard loads. As for the 500 buck limit, that may take some work on your part to get quality with that price in a new gun. I would stick with top name brands to insure getting a gun that is reliable. You may consider getting used over new to insure a good brand gun with a cheaper price. Just be careful and have a person go with you that knows how to check a pistol to insure it has not been abused. With this economy being slow, you may be surprised how many people are selling off their extra guns and alot of them have had very little use and are in nearly new condition.

RELH

RELH I hate it when you beat me to a post. Love a guy who actually has true non magazine working knowlege on guns. If it was me a Glock 40 shooting 165's wide open. Will do everything you need. I hav not found a pistol this is as reliable or corrosion resistant. You could give me a smith auto, but I would not pay you for one unless I could sell it in a week and double my money. Smith autos suck but their revolvers rock.

Find a 1911 :) .45 acp is very easy to manage in standard loads. Plus p's are a little more brutal but not much. Fits the hand good, accurate, easy to shoot, and not much more $$ than your average pistol. Resale value is easy to maintain if you care for it properly and best of all a 1911 is like a short block v-8, the options and aftermarkets for it are endless. As far as plinking or target shooting goes a good 1911 is a pleasure to shoot. You can get into a decent gun at much less than most think. Look at a Kimber, probably the best bang for the buck and they make a good product. Colts are the best and you can get into some other off shoots that are either garbage ie. Taurus or customs that cost as much as a used truck like a Wilson Combat or Les Bauer.

1911;

After years of being a firearms instructor, I would not reccommend a 1911 single action to a person with very little pistol shooting experience. I consider the 1911 and Browning single actions more of a "experts" gun. If a person who had very limited pistol shooting experience wanted a 1911, they should consider the Para Ordnance LDA, long double action, 1911.
Nice simple gun with out the worries of carrying "cocked and locked" and the trigger pull is great for a double action style trigger.
On a side note, if you want to tame that recoil of shooting HV 45ACP ammo in your 1911, install a 18 1/2 pound slide spring in that auto. really holds down the muzzle rise in shooting the hot 185 gr. Hp that I use in mine.

RELH

At the risk of sounding off differently.

You should go shoot an auto first, rent one at a gun range. Also, shoot a couple of revolvers.

I have both. I enjoy shooting the revolver far more.

Mentally, it is easier on my mind. Would trust it in a tuff situation with both accuracy and safety.

Think before you buy.

A revolver might be better.

I have a dan wesson 357 with a 4 in barrel and a para ordiance in 45 auto. Both are nice, but given a choice on which one I would like in a situation, I would take the revolver.

I think a .357 wheelgun would fit the bill perfectly, possibly a Taurus Tracker? Train the wife with .38 specials and then stoke it with a potent 158 JHP or even a 180 cast lead bullet for animal protection.

RELH raises a great point with experience as it relates to shooting an auto loader. Another great point was given in reference to a wheel gun. Frankly, a wheel gun is not a bad option to go with and will fit many bills. The only down side to a wheel gun is round capacity and from what I've seen over the years "high cap" mags typically lead to one thing, a spray and pray mentality. In terms of self defense, unless you think you can articulate your need for suppression fire in an urban enviornement, I'd stick to basics.

My concern would be that one should not be lulled into the idea that any auto loader is inherently more or less dangerous in relation to a 1911. I say this based on the phrase "cocked and locked" that refers to a 1911 carried loaded with the hammer back. Some tend to think that it represents a dangerous situation, perhaps more so than another auto loader. The converse of this is that many have the notion some guns are perhaps safer than they are.

Let me give you a comparison. If you are going to carry a 1911 cocked and locked, there are a sequence of events that must happen prior to a round being discharged. First, the manual saftey must be taken off. Second, the grip saftey must be depressed before the hammer sear can be engaged by the trigger movement. Third, the trigger must be squeezed and/or the hammer must be freed from the sear which could potentially happen should the pistol expierence a large shock...ie being dropped on the ground (unlikely but possible IF THE MANUAL SAFTEY AND GRIP SAFTEY WERE OVERRIDDEN)(This would also not be possible in some circumstances depending on whether or not the 1911 was equipped with a firing pin block).

Now lets look at a very popular gun chosen by many as a "safer" alternative. Take a Glock, any particular model. Now suppose you are going to carry this gun with a live round in the chamber. Here is what must happen in order for that round to dischage. In most cases, 5 pounds of trigger pull and the gun goes boom. Oh wait, there is a safety feature, it will only be bypassed when the trigger is pulled. So in short, the trigger is pulled the gun goes boom.

Now I don't say this to pick on Gocks or anything else, I mention this that you should not get the false sensation that somehow any one pistol is going to be the fail safe carry gun with a live round in the chamber. If you are going to carry a gun, and you are going to have it loaded, you darn well better be an expert with it to some level or you are going to get hurt period. Anyone with little shooting experience intent on carry with a loaded gun is doing themself a serious disservice in doing so.

In short, have your grandmother knit you a doily to put over the cocked and locked hammer should you choose to get one and you'll be ok. And in all seriousness, you've been given good advise by all who have posted.

Well thanks for your help guys. I ended up buying the Springfield XD in a 40 caliber. I shot it for the first time and cleaned it right after. I think its a great gun. Thanks

Great choice on the springfield 40XD. That ia a solid shooting tact driver gun. I own this gun as well and love it, and my girlfriend shoots it pretty good with little experience in handguns.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom