Help me score my buck

Badseed

I was fortunate enough to tag a bruiser buck last week and ever since then people have been suggesting that I get it scored for Pope and Young since it was an archery take. I tried using the measurement form but since my buck is non typical I am confused about the circumference measurements and where exactly I should be taking them from. I tried a few different methods and I am getting gross numbers in the 170's. Can anyone help score this thing. I took measurements as best I could to see if it was worth calling up an approved measurer. The rack is still green but I am curious if it is worth drying and scoring. I really don't care about the score because it was more about the hunt for me but I would love to pass down a records certificate to my sons to inspire them to continue hunting. Here are some photos that will hopefully help someone score this for me. Thanks

50589904191.jpeg

41609904192.jpeg

26438904193.jpeg

88758904194.jpeg

I think you're missing the spread ?!

Giant buck man regardless, no clue on score and won't guess either ! It's a stud and fantastic trophy!

The spread credit is limited by the main beam length. Just for shits and gigs here is the spread info:

Tip-tip 27?
Max outside spread 29?
Max inside spread 27 2/8?

Its not the biggest but the for the area i hunt it is truly a 1% or 2%er.

Get on Pope and Young website and get the list of official measures, I'm sure there is one close to you and I'm sure he would help you.

Most taxidermists can do the score for you. I recommend Kurt Santoro fromLife like Taxidermy. PM if you need contact info. Great buck!!!

Mule deer or Blacktail ?
Doesn't matter for the scoring, Just wondering. Simply amassing browtines
As for scoring it looks like the left G 2 has does not have a G3 as the point looks to be nontypical. It is harder to tell on the right side if there is a normal G2 and G3 or if it is a G2 with a notypical. If there is no G3 the H3 should be taken half way up the G2. It looks like you have both H4s in the wrong place. Should be taken a the smallest place between the G2 and the G4. You have the h4 between what I would call the G4 and a nontypical point near the end of the Main beam. I would not use the inlines out on the end as the G4 but the larger points closer to the G2s.
It also looks like the browtines should be measured from the front as that appears to be the longest curve.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-19 AT 01:23AM (MST)[p]Very neat buck!

4 mass measurements per side is all you get, looks like you've got 5 on your drawing. Inside spread can't exceed longer main beam either.

But who cares, that is a unique awesome buck.

>Mule deer or Blacktail ?
>Doesn't matter for the scoring, Just
>wondering. Simply amassing browtines
>As for scoring it looks like
>the left G 2 has
>does not have a G3
>as the point looks to
>be nontypical. It is harder
>to tell on the right
>side if there is a
>normal G2 and G3 or
>if it is a G2
>with a notypical. If there
>is no G3 the H3
>should be taken half way
>up the G2. It looks
>like you have both H4s
>in the wrong place. Should
>be taken a the smallest
>place between the G2 and
>the G4. You have the
>h4 between what I would
>call the G4 and a
>nontypical point near the end
>of the Main beam.
>I would not use the
>inlines out on the end
>as the G4 but the
>larger points closer to the
>G2s.
>It also looks like the browtines
>should be measured from the
>front as that appears to
>be the longest curve.

Now you understand my dilemma. I took measurements at all the locations that could be used. Understandably i cant use them all but for the sake of the question i included them all on the drawing. Thanks for the advice

>Most taxidermists can do the score
>for you. I recommend
>Kurt Santoro fromLife like Taxidermy.
> PM if you need
>contact info. Great buck!!!
>

Thanks I have a few friends that highly recommended Kurt and I have already talked to him so thats where i will be taking him for the mount. I never thought about asking him to score it but thats a good idea.

49588758904194.jpg

Here is a marked up photo for your measurements. H4 needs to be taken in between the G2 split off the main and the G4 split off the main. G2's need to be measured from where they split off main to the tips, not where they split from the G3/Extra point. This is shown with the red lines. E=Extra point/Nontypical point. Your H3 on the left side is the mid point of your G2 since there is no G3. So you need to measure half way up the G2 then take a mass measurement there. If you really care about pope and young score, you will need to deduct differences in each side for the H and G measurements. E measurements don't have deductions.

Difficult to determine normal and abnormal points with the angle of the photos provided. Post a left and right side view of the antlers.......maybe that would help.

BOHNTR )))---------->

>Difficult to determine normal and abnormal
>points with the angle of
>the photos provided. Post
>a left and right side
>view of the antlers.......maybe that
>would help.
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->

Agreed. I like the captions above for the most part, but I would be tempted to call the G2 and G3 on the left side instead of saying there isn't a G3 and counting it as an extra.

>Agreed. I like the captions
>above for the most part,
>but I would be tempted
>to call the G2 and
>G3 on the left side
>instead of saying there isn't
>a G3 and counting it
>as an extra.

Per the first photo, the potential G3 sticks straight out the outside of the G2 and is no where close to in line with the rest of the points. That's why I put it down as an extra point.

Thanks for the visual markup. That helps to clarify things a bit. I will try to get some side photos posted later but you are correct in saying the the left side G3 points downward. It almost looks like the G2/G3 fork got twisted at some point because it almost matches the right side.

I grew in that unit and that's a .001% buck on public land. In the foothills near the homes and ranches, more like you said. Any 4x4 is a 1% buck.

That said, not sure you can attempt book in velvet and I do question reliability of scoring with velvet, but have never killed a velvet buck so hard to say. Not trying to be negative, that is an impressive No Cal trophy. D5 is a hybrid unit, so has to compete against muleys for book.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom