Help, Which Ram?

prn

I have been sheep hunting with a friend for the last few days and these are the two best rams we've found. We could really use your input. What do you think each of these rams will score?

The first four pictures are "Ram A"

RamA-1.jpg

RamA-2.jpg

RamA-3.jpg

RamA-4.jpg

The next three pictures are "Ram B"

RamB-1.jpg

RamB-4.jpg

RamB-5.jpg

I say A....looks to be broommed (which is a big plus in my book) and almost as long as the other one. Looks like an older ram

I know that I am far from expert!! I would shoot ram A over b just because he looks very heavy and still has length. I love the broomed horns! Good luck. Either would be a great trophy!

I like ram A as well. It looks to me like he might have a couple more years on ram B. Looks to be a little longer, and broomed off a bit more.

Later,

Marcial

I would go with A. Better mass, just as long or longer. I think he would be at least 10 inches larger.

Which state and unit?

Ram A is a better ram. More length, Mass, and older ram.

Keep us posted.

Definitely Ram A.

hard to tell from the pics but I would guess conservatively right around 35 3/4 - 36" long and give him 15" n the bases. With the way he carries his mass I would say 173 conservatively to 176 on the high end.

Good luck.

"A" all the way! Good luck, we want a story and pics too regardless of what kind of ram you shoot. They're all cool.

Zeke

>I think there is a clear
>pattern here!
>+1 for A
>Besides, Zeke is never wrong on
>judging rams!!!

Littlebighorn
Did I hear you say you were getting some Dall sheep meat out of the freezer for US? I can come over any ole time to eat with you! LOL
Zeke

Ram A is a little bigger, but I think I would shoot ram B. I just like the looks of him better.

Ram A might look bigger because the photos are fuzzy. I'd say shoot either and smile in the photos. Both look like great rams to me. I'll probably never kill a ram so I'd settle for one of the babies with ram A.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

I've wondered if the fuzzy pictures of "Ram A" are causing it to look bigger. I've been told that "Ram B" is a few years older based on the ear tags. Does that change anyone's opinion? I think the biggest advantage to "Ram B" is he doesn't have a collar so his cape may be better.

All of these pictures were pulled from video. I will see if I can put them on here to judge from those.

Does anyone think "Ram B" will break the 170 mark?

Look how much farther Ram A drops below the jaw line. Even broomed off I would bet that he his longer than ram B.

Just get the numbers off those ear tags and call the fish and game for their ages.=-)

Scroll down to the 2nd pic and shoot the bottom right one...it tastes better.
Ram A no question, I'm no expert but Ram B looks like a mid 160's ram and ram a is definately bigger

Shoot em till their dead

I am going with ram B now you pointed out the collar. If you want a great looking mount, B is the way to go. Gorgeous cape on that ram. If you want a few extra inches it might be A and his broomed horns. I think it is great you have the decision to make. I look forward to the photos of the dead ram. Best of luck.

Although if I ever kill a ram I will be doing a euro mount and sell the cape. I just think the euro sheep look sweet.

www.sagebasin.com

>Look how much farther Ram A
>drops below the jaw line.
> Even broomed off I
>would bet that he his
>longer than ram B.
>
>Just get the numbers off those
>ear tags and call the
>fish and game for their
>ages.=-)

It's funny you would bring this up. We actually talked with the biologist for this area and he said if he gave us that information it would be against fair chase rules.x(

I would for sure go with Ram A. He has quite a bit more mass, and he is longer for sure. He drops farther below the jaw line then Ram B.

Having said that I would shoot either one and be happy.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-10 AT 08:37AM (MST)[p]ram B gets my vote.. I also like the cape... think he is just as big

just looked at the video does anyone else think ram b's left side is heaver then his right? I think I would now pick ram A if I wanted to shoot for inches, It also might be easier to find with it hanging out with other sheep. the ram B looks like a loner.

good luck with either its a hard decision to make but either ram is a good one.

So I guess Im back to ram B lol better mount in the end

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

The harder you work the luckier you get!!

I have to admitt that both rams look good. I previously voted for "A" but I'm not sure I would be in love with the mount if he's been carrying around a collar. Fuzzy pics made it hard to see the collar.

This is where the hunter must decide what he wants. It's OK to be a little wishy-washy because they're both beautiful rams.

"A" is a little bigger, older, and more mass. (score better)
"B" has a beautiful look and no collar. (looks better mounted)

Hummmmmm? What to do now?

Good luck and PLEASE share the pics and story with us.

Respectfully,
Zeke

>It's funny you would bring this
>up. We actually talked with
>the biologist for this area
>and he said if he
>gave us that information it
>would be against fair chase
>rules.x(

You need to remind your biologist that you pay his salary and that they are game animals. He is basically harrassing you which is illegal. His supervisor needs to know about this. Either that or a swift knee to his groin and watch him hit the ground in pain. Your choice.

I would also say ram "A" .. Either one would be a fine trophy though..Keep us posted and hurry up with the pics

One thing to remember, age is not a guarentee of mass. It is in most instances but genetics plays a bigger role. Last year I shot a 7 year old ram that had 14" bases, the outfitter shot a 5 year old that had over 15" bases. Both these sheep basically came from the same heard (maybe 1 mile apart).

BHB

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-10 AT 01:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-10 AT 01:34?PM (MST)

After looking at the video, I'd say there isn't 5 pts difference between the two rams. Edit: I'd still shoot ram B.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-10 AT 08:22PM (MST)[p]OK,
I have to also admit that I didn't see the collar, but I still think A is bigger.
Either ram would be a prize and if the collar was not there, I would definitely still go for A. I really like his look. I am curious how you think you can wait this long and still find both?
If they are rutting who knows where they are today? It appears that Ram B is on the move to find his own ewes. He could be in the next county by now.
Just curious.
Shoot the one that shows himself first!

IMO after watching the video's Ram A is still the best scoring ram.
Ram B has a pretty dark cape. Both are good rams in most units.

Which state and unit?

The rut should be on now.

Good luck.

A big thanks to "prn" for posting the pictures from his camera. These sheep are from Utah and are the California sub species. You guys can read my story on the "Hunt Adventure Challenge" forum. The post is : Quest for the big one. Thanks for all the responses and I'm quite sure I'll be taking Ram #1 over #2 but there are a couple other big ones still lurking around that I really want to get a look at first. I'm have way to much fun right now to end it so soon, there's still three weeks to hunt.

Koby

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-10 AT 09:31AM (MST)[p]ridgetops,
Wow, Those are great rams for Rockys, much less Utah Cali Rams!
I also loved watching the videos. Has my old neighbor filled his tag yet?
Thanks for the heads up on your post in the Hunt Adventure Challenge. I didn't know it was there. Also good luck on sealing the deal!

PM me if you have time.

ridgetops scored on a fantastic ram. I won't say what ram it was, but I was very privileged to witness the whole event. I have to say that he is a class guy and hunted very hard to make it happen.
Congratulations are in order for sure!

Thanks for the kind remarks guys. I've been really sick the last few days. Maybe I got that sheep fever people talk about. LOL I'll get the story and pictures coming after the holiday. I had him officially scored and he has beaten the state record by four inches.

Littlebighorn, I'm glad you were able to make it out.

Koby

Koby,
I am glad you are feeling better. As I said, it was our privilege to participate in that fantastic hunt. I have reviewed the footage about 5 times now and it is still fun to watch. What a ram. Sounds like he is even better than our rough math! Congrats again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom