Help with arrow weights

bticked

I was hoping some of you can clear something up for me. I've been reading about light arrows and how you can speed up your bow a little with them. My question is how can you shoot a lighter arrow while still keeping the 5gr/# rule? If I move to the lighter arrow, then I would have to decrease my draw weight wouldn't that defeat the whole point of trying to speed things up a bit? Also the arrows I was looking at are Victory, just wondering everyones input on this question as well as the arrows. Thank you.

Ryan

Are you a hunter? If so, ditch the light arrow idea. That is the biggest myth in archery. Weight will trump speed. I could go into it further if necessary, but IMO, an arrow less than 400 grains is not much of a hunting arrow.

I'd take a 450 gr arrow going 260 fps over a 350 gr arrow going 300+ fps, any day!

But, yes, don't go below 5 gr per lb. That is simply for safety and the longevity of your bow limbs.

+2 Its amazing how many people care so much how fast their bow is shooting. Like its really going to matter if its 275fps or 300fps. The animal can still jump the string. Heck I think the speed of sound is something like 750fps. Also a heavy arrow helps penetration a lot. Stick with a heavier arrow and practice practice practice.

Lighter arrows are also much louder, increasing the liklihood that the animal will jump string.

I think there's a real issue for short draw folks. When you can only get 240 fps with 410 grain arrows it is a big difference in drop at 30 - 50 yard shots we have here in the west.

A 360 - 375 grain arrow at 26" draw length is more than enough weight and eaily gives speeds in the 275 range. This brings the drop at 30 yards up by 3" - 4". It's a significant increase in the forgiveness of your yardage/ranging error and worth a very serious look.

Cheers,
Pete

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-10 AT 04:55PM (MST)[p]I used to think so too, and I respect your opinion Pete, but with rangefinders these days, I don't see trajectory as much of and issue.

What changed my mind was a trip to Africa. 3 of us went. We were all shooting 70lb bows of comparable IBO speed. I shot a 420 gr arrow, one buddy shot a 455 gr arrow, and one buddy shot a 370 gr arrow. The light one was a short draw guy at 26" and he too was worried about speed. We all shot the same Slick Trick standard broadheads.

The guy who shot the 455 gr arrow shot through everything. I shot through all but one critter (ostrich, you wouldn't believe that breastbone!). The guy with the light arrows only shot through a duiker and an impala. All the other critters (usual plains game) had only one hole. He even had to follow up the zebra with a rifle due to lack of penetration.

To each their own, and if all we are talking about is deer, 360gr arrows are fine with a sharp broadhead. But with anything bigger than deer, I'd personally feel undergunned. I also hunt in an area with very low deer densities. I could hunt all year for one fleeting opportunity. If that happens to be slightly quartering to me, or if the angle is not perfect, I'm glad to have that extra weight.

Look at a wrecking ball taking down a skyscraper. It's a big, slow moving, but really heavy, mass that carries a lot of momentum. It does a hell of a lot more damage than a smaller, faster projectile would.

I'm shooting a 458gn arrow out of my 70lb 82nd at 30.5... I hope I get to smack something this year!

Nate, that's really not a fair comparison though. A 30" draw at 70 lbs creates 75 - 85 ft/lbs of KE vs a 26" draw that produces 55 ft/lbs. It's not the arrow weight that is the issue here but simply that longer draw folks create a heck of alot more energy than us shorter draw folks can ever get, no matter what setup and poundage we shoot :)

Cheers,
Pete

I usually shoot a 387 gr arrow but this year will be slinging a 428 gr arrow. Never had problems with the lighter arrow as far as penetration but like the reassurance of the heavier shaft. We will see which one I like better!

Jared "J-Rod" Bloomgren

http://www.camospace.com/Bloomgren

Well that is true Pete. And you are right, shorter draw guys need more energy. I'd argue the best way to get that, along with momentum, is with more arrow weight. To each their own.

Like anything else, it's a trade off. Only you can decide what is more important to you. Trajectory, or energy. Go with what gives you the most confidence of making a clean kill. Avoid heavy bone and there won't be any problem even with lighter arrows. Personally, I just have greater confidence with a bit more weight, especially when less than perfect shot angles present themselves.

Thanks guys for clearing all that stuff up for me. Ill stick with the 386gr arrow I'm shooting at 311fps. I was just curious reading all these people shooting something like 370-390fps. I didnt understand, well still really dont but I guess it doesnt matter, I should stick with my heavier arrows for hunting. That other post about arrows breaking is scaring me! Better do some better inspections, Im off to the range!

Ryan

I am shooting a 385 gr arrow at 302fps. That is more than enough KE for a elk hunt. Shot placement is all that is needed. Anything under 300fps, I stay at or above 400grns.

I 100% agree with the others guys posts about arrow weight.
When I traveled to Africa last year I set up my bow/arrow combo much heavier for the closer ranges I was to be shooting.

70# Katera XL 28.5" draw shooting Axis 340 FMJ's with 125BH, 485 grain TAW. I shot through 4 animals only my Kudu stopping a pass through -- BH did stick out the offside leg.

Im shooting a "slow" 261fps, but the accuracy and how quiet my bow is caused me to leave my setup the same for this years dee/elk hunt.

Your weight it fine, but I really prefer 450+ grains, simply because I'd rather have the extra momentum for the "whatifs" than to take a chance by using the lighter arrow...IMO

"Quitting is not an option!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom