Help with Form Size for Mule Deer Mount

U

UTMuleyhunter

I am hoping any of the Taxidermist who frequent this sight will help me out. I have a mule deer cape tanned and ready to mount. However, I don't have the measurements of the deer while the hide was still on it. I want to try doing the taxi work myself, but I don't know what form size I will need. Is there a way to measure the tanned cape to determine the correct form size? I assume there is a way to get a close enough guess. This isn't for a paying customer, I'm just doing this for fun. Hopefully it won't look like an oversized Jackalope when I'm done. Thanks in advance for any input!

UTMuleyhunter I would call the place where it was tanned and ask them how to rehydrate it. Once its been re-hydrated you can stretch it out just below the ears about 2 inches and take that measurement straight across the skin side. Be careful when you stretch it that you don't over stretch it and take it out of shape. On the face lay the cape sideways flat and measure from the front part of the nose to corner front of eye opening caution on the nose it might be elongated. I would purchase Rick Caters DVD from Wasco (Whitetail Deer Shoulder Mount: A to Z with Rick Carter) and Mule Deer Shoulder Mount with Tom Weickum both are a great source of information. There's a lot of info on Taxidermy net forum too. Good luck quest

do you generally soak in water to rehydrate? Not sure if I have the tannery info. I got the cape from a relative.

Id try to find out who tanned it. The Tanneries have there own method they want you to rehydrate there tan. You can ask the same question on Taxidermy Net and some one there may be able to help you. quest

measure nose to eye and measure the circumference of the neck crossing the atlas

thanks
cactus meadow taxidermy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom